Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
4 registered (Thebo, aniceguy, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63402 Topics
443276 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#429030 - 03/25/13 03:42 AM Standing up for yourself
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
I went to a talk at a university business school about female rape and abuse. My South African mentor was one of the panelists. It was great that business would talk about these issues. I know the dean of the business school on a professional basis and spoke to him before. He knows about our organization South African Male Survivors Of Sexual Abuse and what we do. As the topic was focused on women and girls, I did not want to hijack it, I went to support the issue and to network afterwards.

After all the questions, the professor said, I know Rees is in the audience and I'm sure he would like to make a final statement. How about that. putting me on the spot, I make comments about how real men don't rape and a call for men to respect the mothers of our counties future - the children. In closing I mentioned that men must not be forgotten that 1 in 4 woman are abused but 1 in 6 men are also abused, I also told them that 90% of rapes women are victims but the balance are males. All the woman clapped and said yea yea, working with them and not trying to move the focus away from them helps.

What happened afterwards, was again one of those events that makes you move forward more confidently. There was a cocktail party and one of the males got drunk, those of you who know me I have very little tolerance for drunks, due to my own past. He walked up to me with his girlfriend (a top executive) and said sarcastically "you made me cry that men are also abused and raped" . In my remarks I never said I was a survivor. He also made a comment that one of the speakers (my mentor) said that men have to redefine their roles in a modern world ie. real men cry and show emotions, real men nurture their children etc. I would normally have moved away (flight rather than fight) this time I reacted differently, in a very assertive way I put my hand firmly on his shoulder, looked at him and his girlfriend and said "ask her who would be a real man, a man who cried on her shoulder and opened his soul to her or a man who did not cry and medicated himself with JD (Jack Daniels), that is so unlike me, insulting and threatening. He apologized and I walked away. Wow I never thought I would do that, stand up for myself to a guy younger and bigger than me. Right or wrong it was empowering.

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

#429033 - 03/25/13 06:15 AM Re: Standing up for yourself [Re: JoziSA]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wow. I agree it is so hard to know when it is "right" to go one way or the other. I think it depends on so many factor, too many to consciously work out at the moment. We just have to dive in sometimes. Very impressive.
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

#429092 - 03/25/13 03:53 PM Re: Standing up for yourself [Re: JoziSA]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
JosiSA,

It does sound like this was an empowering experience. I think you handled it really well. You stood up for yourself after having someone try to shame and stifle you. That is an absolutely empowering thing to do. BTW, I also have no tolerance for drunks due to my background. They get under my skin very easily. Thanks for sharing this experience, it was empowering for me just to read it. I'm glad he apologized.

Take care,

Caz

Edited by Casmir213 (03/25/13 03:55 PM)

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

#429093 - 03/25/13 04:08 PM Re: Standing up for yourself [Re: JoziSA]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
JoziSA

This is a very encouraging post. If I had to pick one aspect of myself I'd like to change, it would be to stand up for myself. You have provided a great example of how it can be done. Keep posting, man. It's great reading.

DavO

#429095 - 03/25/13 04:13 PM Re: Standing up for yourself [Re: JoziSA]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: JoziSA
...I put my hand firmly on his shoulder, looked at him and his girlfriend and said "ask her who would be a real man, a man who cried on her shoulder and opened his soul to her or a man who did not cry and medicated himself with JD (Jack Daniels)...

WOW! What Balls! You are a hero!

Jude
But he never betrays what he thinks.
Can you see the real me, doctor?.
The Who

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.