Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bob_dup1 (54), Carlos Gerardo (41), FERALFOO (48), Jolly Fisherman (59), Karl (62), MikeInFlorida (52), mizphit09 (37), oktobe_me (53), Yaoichan (22)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443465 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#428831 - 03/23/13 01:23 PM Spiritually Floating
Tarobuns108 Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hey guys,

I would imagine this is an issue for a lot of people. When something traumatic happens, people will often have changes in their belief systems, becoming more religious, less religious, or finding a new religion or philosophy all together. I think a lot of victims also find themselves where I am and that's in a state of uncertainty.

I spent my childhood and early teen years as a Catholic before becoming an agnostic-atheist. After my assault in November '12, I've been heavily re-reading the Stoics and Daoist philosophy. Daoist books seems to put me in a good place when I need to mentally escape and the Stoics have especially helped me make sense of everything that happened to me and also helped me deal with my anxieties in a rational way. I find myself subscribing more and more to the Stoic philosophy in my daily life and interactions with people and problems as they arise. I'm wondering if maybe allowing this move toward Stoicism will help my healing process even more.

Has anyone else found themselves in a transitional phase in terms of their belief? How do you navigate out?

And people of minority faiths and philosophies, how do you find community and support for your spiritual woes?

Thanks,
Ren
"Don't be ashamed to need help. Like a soldier storming a wall, you have a mission to accomplish. And if you've been wounded and you need a comrade to pull you up? So what?" Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, Book 7:7

#428840 - 03/23/13 04:35 PM Re: Spiritually Floating [Re: Tarobuns108]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Hello Tarobuns,

A religious transition, well, I imagine almost every survivor questions our faith in or disbelief of a religious structure that we have or had from the time of the abuse and afterwards.

I had a few years to consider what I felt was the path to salvation. I walked away from what I was taught, only trouble was, it did not walk away from me. When I was able to reason on the structure without projecting or transferring the abuse and acting out, I was able to reconnect with what I had grown up with in regards to how I was going to spend eternity.

The words, reasoning and principles I had growing up I made my own. You have found a path that makes words, reasoning and principles your own, that is such a good path, I hope you continue to choose what is comfortable to you. I think that is the transition, whether keeping the beliefs' a survivor grows up into or coming into one's own beliefs away from the lessons taught in our youth, we work towards safe, comfortable, positive and affirming structure.

That is what I found. Much success to you,

Sam

#431119 - 04/13/13 02:24 PM Re: Spiritually Floating [Re: Tarobuns108]
OCN Offline

Loc: Western Europe
I never was raised religious, but at the university i got intrigued by hearing my roommates discuss. That was a start of a long search. It started with buddhism and since then i've read about a variety of philosophies (mysticism, gnosticism, daoism, non-duality, shamanism).

I still dont know what to think of it all.. i notice that i try to create a world view and desperately hold on to it. I have difficulty with the insecurity of it all i guess. I'm intrigued by Ramana Maharshi and his question 'Who am I?' When i went to a breakdown, this was the question i asked myself. But i never dared venture more deeply into this.

I think that i try to talk about philosophy, but still havent found the proper place yet. And now i'm dealing with the abuse, i'm in doubt whether or not philosophy and religion has become a kind of excuse not to deal with the pain.

At this point in time it gets me confused from time to time. And seeing the full book shelves does not always help me out of the confusion lol..

To me i think the most important thing is to just let things be. I always want to have some kind of control over things, even though i know life cant be controlled. I can only control my response and to that buddhism and meditation are proving to be very helpfull..

Cheers
Peter

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.