Newest Members
Francis Xavier, JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish
12438 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
4 registered (JW1230, 3 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12438 Members
74 Forums
63852 Topics
445854 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#428661 - 03/22/13 02:34 AM Re: "Safe Place Exercise" EMDR? I HAVE NO safe place [Re: Life's A Dream]
crazy gecko Offline

When I was a kid, I "built" a fortress inside myself. Actually, I thought of it as a fortress but it was more like a medieval castle. I could visualise the thick stone walls, the towers, the battlements, etc. I kept adding to it as the years passed. That was where I went when I dissociated. I could close the gates behind me and it was as if I was isolated from what was happening to my body...

That was my safe place. When I was inside my fortress, nothing could harm me.

But I also have a second safe place. This one is real - it is rock on a deserted stretch of coastline where I once sat, less than a year after quitting drugs. It was the first time I was consciously aware of being happy. I sat there for God knows how long, exploring this new feeling... Now, when I need a safe place in therapy or anywhere else, that is where I go - the rock I sat on that day, watching the waves, watching the fog come in, getting to know that thing called "happiness". Of course, it is much more about the emotions of that day than about the actual place, but still... imagining myself sitting on that rock always helps me to calm down.

So my point is - it could be real, it could be imaginary. It doesn't matter. You could make something up especially for this, as long as you can immerse yourself in it enough to feel safe...
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

#428713 - 03/22/13 02:59 PM . [Re: Life's A Dream]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (04/21/13 11:01 PM)

#428719 - 03/22/13 03:20 PM Re: "Safe Place Exercise" EMDR? I HAVE NO safe place [Re: Life's A Dream]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
My safe place was in the woods in a tree stand hunting and hearing the creek rolling and birds chirping. It works for a redneck like me.
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#428731 - 03/22/13 04:54 PM . [Re: crazy gecko]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (04/21/13 11:02 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.