Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (L84, 2 invisible), 72 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62502 Topics
438062 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#428449 - 03/19/13 03:46 PM Re: Patterns [Re: Chase Eric]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, the job is history after an agreed-upon several weeks of transition. I folded completely even though I knew I was lied to, set up. I figured I do not need these people for enemies, and sold my sense of pride down the river like I have learned so well to do years ago. Back then, it was bartering my body for my sister's. Guess that makes me a prostitute - the only difference was the currency traded.

I walk away with a promise from them of good will and probably some good words to slide me into another position somewhere. Yet I feel like I just sold my soul and the whole world got darker.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#428452 - 03/19/13 04:26 PM Re: Patterns [Re: Chase Eric]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
((((Eric))))

There are people out there who need you and will value you. Some jobs are just intolerably toxic and - despite the humiliation of being fired - in the long run you're better off gone.

Also, if you still have salary / benefits during the transition period, you're basically being paid to job-hunt.

Does your company have close competitors?

Hang in there.....

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#428454 - 03/19/13 04:50 PM Re: Patterns [Re: Chase Eric]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

This thread is very relevant to me, though I'm not sure I have anything useful to add except thank you guys for giving me some big things to think about. I oscillate between being overly compliant and overly confrontative. Any healthy middle ground is still elusive.
"As long as the child within is not allowed to become aware of what happened to him or her, a part of his or her emotional life will remain frozen . . . all appeals to love, solidarity, and compassion will be useless."
-- Alice Miller

#428455 - 03/19/13 04:58 PM Re: Patterns [Re: Chase Eric]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Eric,

I'm so sorry you're having to confront this. A healthy work environment is crucial to a healthy life---especially for survivors. I left a toxic work environment a while back for a better opportunity. After being there 9 years, the place had become toxic to the point where I think it helped trigger the CSA issues. As bad as it was, I hesitated to leave for the unknown---that somehow the toxicity was preferable. It was an abusive relationship.

Here's the takeaway. I did find a better position and left on good terms. Don't believe for a minute you sold your soul. You are using them for a good reference to slide you into something better. Look at this as being more equitable. This could be "mutual aid."

Will

My Story: Cruel Summer

#428554 - 03/20/13 10:59 PM Re: Patterns [Re: Chase Eric]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, Matt and Will - your good words gave me more support than you might realize. Matt - intolerably toxic are precisely the words. Will - the "mutual aid" is so true - submerging my pride was the only political way to get the win-win - my own sensitivities were just not worth allowing to stand in the way of that, no matter how righteous I felt about it.

A good friend of mine down the road who knew about the parallels between this situation and my childhood abuse suggested that by standing up to this situation I could finally stand up to the dragons of my past. I thought it was brilliant of him to see that. So maybe that shows to you the significance of it all to me.

So I was pretty depressed after a meeting that was cordial instead of contentious, because I felt once again that I did not stick up for myself. I got what I wanted and he definitely got what he wanted. But instead of fighting for what I knew was right, I just said "OK" to what I clearly knew was not. Just like I did with my abuser. I guess the whole situation was a trigger - the immediate 24 hour fall-out was tough to get through.

I'm better now, thanks - but can see that I'm STILL dealing with those ghosts. I'm still learning how deep this goes.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.