Newest Members
MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise
12464 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Asmodeus (31), comeath3 (75), Roy (53), Skeeter (55), tazrad (43), Treehugger75 (39), waterworld (53)
Who's Online
5 registered (Scott1962, Greg56, 3 invisible), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12464 Members
74 Forums
63990 Topics
446647 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#428024 - 03/14/13 10:42 AM Probably harmless, but triggered a bit
gottymeguy Offline

Sitting in a Starbucks, and besides me sits a man 30's-40's and what I first assumed to be his teen son 13-15. As I overheard them talk the man talked about the boy being on Spring break next week, and if he wanted to while he is in town, the man likes to take hikes in the woods (also just said he likes to hike in the dark sometimes).

He asked the boy so many questions that seemed like grooming, the boy is very shy and reserved. The man talked about Bible stuff, but really wants this boy to go hiking with him. Really asking a lot of personal questions, but again, we are in public so I'm sure it's harmless, but it just caught my attention. I could see him trying to do things to this boy, but I have a good imagination. My heart is racing a bit, but I feel like I need to keep listening to make sure everything turns out ok.

If I knew more background I may see it really is harmless, but it has my senses mildly heighten, maybe cause I've never actually overheard such a conversation...AND it is the middle of the morning, why isn't this boy in school. They talk about hanging out, and seeing if the boy's parents will let him go hiking alone with him next week.

Hope the kid is ok...sounds like a church thing of some sort, and they just left in a big white passenger van. By why is the kid with this guy if he doesn't live nearby. Apparently his grandparents do however.

Sorry for the ranting post, but it just made me shake a bit, thinking of what could happen if the wrong impressions I am getting are true and I am listening to grooming.

#428025 - 03/14/13 10:49 AM Re: Probably harmless, but triggered a bit [Re: gottymeguy]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
Grooming sounds like that. IOW....what you are hearing, is what grooming sounds like...right?

Just because you may be pre-disposed to catching-on to these things, does not mean you are wrong. Rather, you, me, we may be the only ones who hear this coded language.

Still Not Recognized

#428026 - 03/14/13 10:51 AM Re: Probably harmless, but triggered a bit [Re: gottymeguy]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
Oh...and lots of those creeps will bolster a seemingly inherent credibility via that "bible-talk" you are hearing.

Still Not Recognized

#428033 - 03/14/13 01:44 PM Re: Probably harmless, but triggered a bit [Re: gottymeguy]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Not a relative
+
Kid not in school
+
Invoking God's authority
+
Kid being oddly quiet
+
Guy really really really really eager to spend time alone with him
=
High perp potential

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#428036 - 03/14/13 02:44 PM Re: Probably harmless, but triggered a bit [Re: gottymeguy]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
As some police detectives say, this is a case of JDLR.

It Just Doesn't Look Right.

I agree with SoccerStar. I've read a lot of gut-wrenching stories on MS; this one makes the back of my neck tingle---in that 6th sense kind of way. The kid may be in the process of being groomed---or he may already be in an abusive situation---and that's why he was so quiet. Perps seem to do all the talking.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#428039 - 03/14/13 03:15 PM Re: Probably harmless, but triggered a bit [Re: gottymeguy]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
The Starbucks almost certainly had security cameras. If you felt like at worst being a nuisance and getting embarrassed, or at best saving a kid from being raped, you could go back there with a story about losing some property at that time / day... or, honestly, you could tell tge cops you suspected an inappropriate situation. "Man really working hard to convince a quiet boy to convince his parents to allow them to spend time together" should raise a flag in this day and age....

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#428063 - 03/14/13 07:41 PM Re: Probably harmless, but triggered a bit [Re: gottymeguy]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 09:33 PM)
Edit Reason: SILENCED

#428176 - 03/15/13 06:40 PM Re: Probably harmless, but triggered a bit [Re: gottymeguy]
gottymeguy Offline

Still,
Sometimes, I can be hyper sensitive to a situation and read to much into things, but it just really grabbed my attention.

SoccerStar,
That was the formula I was picking up on.
I also wish I just had a second chance to overhear them in a different situation to see if I felt the same way as before. There very well may have been details that didn't come up that would rationalize the situation. (Perhaps they moved and this guy was his old pastor or whatever you call it, maybe a family friend in a non creepy way, maybe the kid is actually someone who had gotten in a lot of trouble and the man was really sincere) So many unknowns, I wish I could fill in the blanks to have a better idea of direction. I almost wanted to pull the kid aside to ask him some questions about what was going on...then I worried that someone will get the wrong impression that *I* was after the kid!

Suwanee,
I think that is what made me nervous about eavesdropping, all the stories I have read on here. Many of them the guys have described situations almost identical, but without some knowledge what what the relationship really was, it fear I was just taking what I read here and applying to what I was observing...I really hope that is all it was, my overzealous imagination...

bodyguard8367,
Somewhere in between would def. be better than killing him...since I really don't know if it was just nothing smile

-Thanks to all of you, it really helped to get some feedback, I'm not sure I have ever been in a situation where this much detail was in play to make me suspicious.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.