Newest Members
Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger, masryt
12132 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
2 registered (peroperic2009, 1 invisible), 62 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12132 Members
73 Forums
62560 Topics
438338 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#427710 - 03/10/13 11:35 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
traveler Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
i must have been before the Lego era. but one of the few good gifts/toys i got that i LOVED was a Kenner Panel & Girder Building Set:

i spent hours making things with it. my brother had a Lionel train set and my architectural marvels enhanced his set-up. then i was given another great gift - a slot-car racing set:

and that made the whole scene even cooler. being an "artsy-fartsy" kid - as Lancer says - i was more into customizing the little cars with paint and decals than actually racing them!

Lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#427715 - 03/11/13 12:17 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
OMG Lee. I'd completely forgotten about the Kenner set! I made all kinds of skyscrapers and got frustrated when I ran out of the right window panels for my design. Sometimes, too, the little tabs on the ends of the red girders would wear out.

An artsy-fartsy frustration?

Crap. Now I have to go back to eBay and find that, too.

#427870 - 03/12/13 06:58 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Suwanee]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Will

Your airport puts my gas station to shame. Like you I could get lost for hours..days creating a massive lego city. Lego is one of the more 'constructive' toys for kids to play with.

Matchbox cars. YES. I forgot about those. I still have some of my favourite peices (57 Corvette Stingray, General Lee (Dukes of Hazzard, Car Carrier Truck etc etc). I gave the rest to my son and he loves them too. Although he is into Hotwheels more than Matchbox.
When I worked in an office I had one on my desk too. smile

We had this crappy little army tank handheld game and we loved it too.

Arr the memories.

Lee

#427871 - 03/12/13 07:05 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Traveller

I have NEVER seen or heard of the Girder and Panel building sets...WOW looks like fun. What an education I am getting! I see it was made by the same people that made my Tree House (Kenner).

Was it a bit like Meccano?

I have 'heard' of slot car racing sets - but never seen one in real life. Awesome! Being arts-fartsy myself I probably would have been more into customizing the cars as well.

Lee

#427878 - 03/12/13 10:12 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
traveler Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
the girders were hard plastic and the panels were kind of flimsy but thin, stiff sheets of translucent plastic with different parts painted opaque - so that there were solid walls, full windows and partial windows, as well as doors, roofs, etc. like Lancer said, you often ran out of the style of panel you wanted to make the design consistent. mad It was the right scale for my cars - HO - but smaller scale than the train set. smirk

the slot car set came with 4 cars - but 3 were grey and one red - BORING! sleep i couldn't let that stand. it was also hard to tell who was winning if they were the same color. confused i left the Corvette red. the Mercedes i left grey. i painted the Jag white with flame decals. and i made the T-bird metallic blue. So cool! cool
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#427882 - 03/12/13 10:43 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Lee (either one):

I had the Tyco Night Glow "Empire 1000" slot car set. It had glow in the dark components like guard rails and lane stripes....and the cars had working headlights for racing in the dark.

I got it for Christmas from my grandparents when I was 6. I think it cost something like $75 dollars in the JC Penney catalog. That would probably be nearly $250 in today's money...wow!
Tyco Nightglow

There was a strange electric/ozone smell that the controllers gave off after playing with it for a long time.

Good times.

Will

My Story: Cruel Summer

#427883 - 03/12/13 11:06 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Lancer]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: Lancer
Since I'm a master a tracking down this stuff mate - who cares about the shipping cost to Oz when it's treasure like this? - found the treehouse(s):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html;jsessionid=4A675144D5576864289B170F1C2FA652?_nkw=1975%20Kenner%20Family%20TREE%20TOTS%20TREE%20HOUSE%20Complete%20w%20Box&_itemId=310290258088

Mine was the Flying Sub from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (a 1966 model kit by Aurora):

OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!! I had this...and the full Main Sub.

See you on ebay...gotta find one!!!!gotta find one!!!!gotta find one!!!!

I actually just found a bath-boy picture of me. No submarine toy to be found...which was weird cuz I never took a bath without toys-gallor.

Edited by Still (03/12/13 11:09 PM)

Still's Globs

New Video

#427884 - 03/12/13 11:08 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

wait....i have no money for this!

Still's Globs

New Video

#427890 - 03/13/13 01:06 AM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
@FarmerBoy - we may all regret you started this thread eek

Got more ways to spend your money, guys. Remember the smell of burning plastic? Amazing I didn't burn down the house (like UL Listed meant anything):

#428061 - 03/14/13 07:08 PM Re: Favourite Toys - good childhood memories [Re: Farmer Boy]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

My sisters had one. The finished items were around the house for many years. I remember everyone burned their fingers eventually.

That hot plastic did have a very unique smell.

Still's Globs

New Video

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.