Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
3 registered (blockade, jq19712, 1 invisible), 53 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62513 Topics
438098 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#427607 - 03/09/13 06:19 PM Re: Oprah show [Re: thecoopstah]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

did I say something wrong with my previous post? I didn't mean to upset anyone. I just meant I'm not surprised when people act that way.
"As long as the child within is not allowed to become aware of what happened to him or her, a part of his or her emotional life will remain frozen . . . all appeals to love, solidarity, and compassion will be useless."
-- Alice Miller

#427614 - 03/09/13 09:53 PM Re: Oprah show [Re: thecoopstah]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:12 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427649 - 03/10/13 11:06 AM Re: Oprah show [Re: Publius]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

i have watched the show several times. Tyler Perry's words never truly hit me until recently. In therapy I came to realize the child I was died and a new child was created from the abuse. In many ways I ceased to be who I was and should be. My life was confusion-the me and the new child. I now need to mourn the child that was and embrace the child that was created from the abuse--the child that I buried and it believed the abuser was love and the only way to feel special or love was to be abused. I am told once I begin to love that child, and embrace him as part of me, then I will be able to integrate the parts and the child will begin to understand the abuser and his ways are not the way to feel love.

Thank you for reminding me of Tyler's words and how abuse kills a part of who we are.

#427654 - 03/10/13 01:56 PM Re: Oprah show [Re: thecoopstah]
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
Coop

Well done, your tenacity worked. Im sure it was because you did not hold back when you told them the story. You are a star to all of us. You represented all of us on the show. Oprah has a big following here, she has a all girls school that she has built and is friends with Nelson Mandela. Tyler Perry sounded like a real jerk, hogging the limelight.

I think that famous people and celebrities can help to focus the media on male sexual abuse issues. Their abuse is the same as everyone here, but by using their position that can remind other men that they are not alone. In South Africa we need a true homegrown leader with a high profile, an entertainer, a sportsman or a politician to come forward to break the silence and show that is does happen in Africa.

This subject is still taboo in our culture, but as the South Africa saying goes "The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time" South African Male Survivors Of Sexual Abuse will be bringing Mike Lew to the country in September, to train professionals, run healing workshops and he will be the guest speaker at Africa's first conference on male sexual abuse.

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.