Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
5 registered (WriterKeith, 4 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64191 Topics
447938 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#427222 - 03/05/13 08:48 PM Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!!
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
I just passed a colleague in the hall and he said, “howyadoin(?)!”

I felt like either smashing his face or bursting into tears. He didn’t mean anything by it. That was just the problem – he didn’t mean anything. He didn’t want to know – it wasn’t even a question – it was not even real words – just sounds that people make when they pass each other. And if I had really answered truthfully, he would have been surprised and shocked and horrified and probly would have distanced himself as quickly as possible and avoided me like the plague in the future.

I thought to myself- how can I even put into words how I am doing? It would take longer than we have between classes. Sometimes I have a hard time explaining it to myself or my T or my wife. They are the only ones – with the exception of you guys on MS forums – that I can ever tell how I’m doing. And I cherish that fact – that I can at least try to express it here – and there is always someone who hears and understands and replies in a way that affirms me as a person and validates my feelings.

I know a lot of us use this forum to explain exactly that – how we are doing - but many don’t ever say a thing. And sometimes people don’t contribute because they don’t think what they have to say is that significant.

SO – in case YOU are waiting to be asked – here it is - this thread is the time and the place:

HOW ARE YOU DOING? REALLY – PLEASE TELL ME – I WANT TO KNOW!

LEE
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#427224 - 03/05/13 08:57 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Well Lee, Since you asked:

I'm sad beyond any definition of the word.

I have not seen my kids but for a few hours in the past 14 days and won't see them till March 20th.

My flashbacks are back and are very bad. I've pissed myself at least 5 times in the past 3-weeks from the fear or pain in the flashbacks or nightmares. I sleep with a giant sheet of plastic of a garbage bag tween my sheet and mattress.

I am fearful of losing what thread remains between my kids and I...as a great and massive cable once tied us together as the closest father and children anyone on this earth has ever seen.

I am lonely as heck. I'm trying to find even a church in this stodgy area who won't condemn me when they ask "so...where's your wife? Why did you two divorce???"

My depression can't even be called "depression." Its more like deep-deep dispare, and its trying to kill me.

Thank you for asking Lee.

Edited by Still (03/05/13 08:58 PM)

#427228 - 03/05/13 09:50 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Evening, Lee.

How am I ? Well, let's see. I too, am lonely. I am insecure as I look around and wonder wtf happened to my life and to me. I am tired and stressed and obsessed. I am emotionally numb and non creative. I am afraid of the night.

I have an embarrassingly exhaustive compulsion to move furniture around in my house- which is so bizarre even the T laughed out loud when I told her.

But I find validation in MS. SoccerStar said he admired me, which was way cool. Jude said he listened and reassured that others "got it". And you asked how I was.

So I'm okay. Thanks for asking.

#427233 - 03/05/13 11:32 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
Like I do every day, like I wish it was my last.

Thanx for asking Lee

Cee

T. Paine

#427236 - 03/06/13 12:06 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: cosmos]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yes, I have shared these problems. A lot.

As far as the greeting problem, I have finally worked up a little list of things that can be said which won't lie about how I'm really doing but which also won't create false impressions.

Q. How are ya' doin, Puffer?
A. I'm half awake now and I don't know which half.

Q. How ya' doin' Puffer?
A. I wish the rain (or snow or you insert whatever) would stop!

Our society kind of expects us to put on a happy face, even if you're down in the dumps. This is offensive to me but its a battle that I can't win by myself. There was a picture in facebook a few days ago of a person wearing a "happy" mask. That's how I've felt a million times.

Puffer

#427246 - 03/06/13 12:56 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Still Around Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I sure as heck ain't "all right" as I have to tell people.

No, I'm really bad off. I've pushed away the person I am closest out of fear that I'm only going to hurt her emotionally--and in so doing, I have done just that.

I'm finding myself hiding behind my emotional wall and being distant with everyone, and I'm getting increasingly frightened.

I'm stressed to the hilt, totally unmotivated, and unable to find any trace of the creativity I once had. And I'm not even triggered at the moment!

So no I'm not fine, and god I hate having to pretend that I am because people don't want to see that.

Thank you for asking though, sometimes I just have to let that out.

#427281 - 03/06/13 10:22 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:19 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427286 - 03/06/13 11:14 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Some good, some bad....

THE GOOD: It took about half a year give or take but I think I've cleaned up the "collateral damage" that my CSA awakening & nervous breakdown caused. My relationship with my wife is vastly improved across the board. She says she hasn't seen me this good or this happy in 6 months, and I think she's right. I got a new job with much better conditions (will be posting about this separately later because it has to do with sexual harassment in the workplace as well as "area memories" related to the CSA memories resurfacing.... short-short summary, I couldn't possibly have stayed much longer, that building was shamed and poisoned).

THE BAD: I'm "seeing" something different about the incident that doesn't match the rest of my memories. If it's real, then I was abused more than I'd remembered - which scares the shit out of me because I spent nearly half a year faking and failing my way through life over what I *did* know and have only just managed to get things back on an upwards trajectory now. Nothing else is allowed to surface. Nothing else can be real. I'm so fucking scared over this I haven't even told my T yet, it's one thing to type it, but saying it out loud might make it "real".... that was how it worked for me in early therapy, it broke the wall down and the sewage spilled out....

So overall - if I'm dealing with what I've currently got to deal with, then I think I'm doing pretty okay, downright good actually. If I've got to deal with anything new resurfacing... I probably won't be able to. And the fear of what a secondary crash could do to me is already setting in. I got one re-start with both my wife and my career, I rather don't think a second bailout would be possible if I fall apart again.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of Heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#427324 - 03/06/13 07:06 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
CloudyFalls Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I feel the same way as you traveler, when someone asks me how am I doing? I hate it. I FUCKING hate it. They put me in a position where I have to put on a facade and lie to their faces because they don't really want to know. Like why even ask the fucking question if you don't care? It's almost an insult, even thought they probably don't see it that way, it is.

The secretary or whatever you call it at my psychologist's firm always asks people, how are you doing? My subconscious just wants to say, "Bitch how the fuck do you think I'm feeling, I'm here to see my shrink!"

Originally Posted By: Obi
nobody really gives a shit how i'm doing...

even here...

I hope that was a joke, and if it wasn't I care.

Edited by CloudyFalls (03/06/13 07:09 PM)

#427325 - 03/06/13 07:11 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:17 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427326 - 03/06/13 07:13 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Obi]
CloudyFalls Offline
MaleSurvivor

it wasn't a joke.

Pm me tell me how you feel, I'll listen, and I do care. I don't want to see anyone here in pain. My door is open Obi.

Edited by CloudyFalls (03/06/13 07:13 PM)

#427327 - 03/06/13 07:16 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

obi - when i started coming here regularly and participating, i was always glad to see your flashing light sabre avatar. you were one of the first individuals that i could recognize and relate to. the avatar was unique and it helped me to "see" you as a real person. i read everything you write that i am aware of. i don't always have an answer or response or reply that i feel is worth posting, but i do hear you and wish you well. so often i wish that there was more we survivors could do for one another.
lee

#427328 - 03/06/13 07:25 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:16 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427330 - 03/06/13 07:37 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Obi]
CloudyFalls Offline
MaleSurvivor

that's the problem....

everyone reads my posts.... that's great! i'm glad I have, and continue to help so many people....

people pm me here, or on other sites, asking for help and support. people in my real life always search me out for whatever it is they need...

it's always take take take take....

I don't mind helping. I do enjoy it. I enjoy helping the guys here...

and I always hear and/or read from others that if I need help, support, or whatever, to just say something, pm them, etc. and they will be there to help...

when I do.... *crickets chirping*

or I get my issues out and that's it because the person i'm talking to starts in with their stuff and is wanting me to help them....

tired of people saying they care, but never really there when I reach out for help....

so, when people ask me how i'm doing... I feel like they really don't care.. even on here.

I can't say I understand how you feel, but I know someone who's said much similar things to me before. This person was my ex and he too was a CSA survivor. People would always seek him out for help, and he always liked to help, but he got to the point where it made him feel like nobody really cared about him. I can see where you're coming from, but when I say I do care, I truly mean that, I do care about you Obi, and if you want somebody to listen to, someone who cares about you, I will be that person. I'm a great listener, if you don't want me to, I don't even have to share my problems with you, I'll just listen. Hell, even just saying you feel like nobody cares is a step towards getting that care you need.

#427332 - 03/06/13 07:41 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
my standard reply is I'm OK. If someone is bold enough to ask more detail I just say, Im always OK. I have been worse hope to be better so im just OK.
obi man I'm sorry you hurt,I cant do much,certainly don't have anything to offer but I do care... for what its worth.
be well man

#427334 - 03/06/13 08:20 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:16 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427337 - 03/06/13 08:50 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

obi -
i am truly sorry that you got let down again.
and i am sorry for any time that i was not aware enough of your need and was not there for you.
lee

#427338 - 03/06/13 08:52 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:15 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427342 - 03/06/13 10:13 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Obi]
CloudyFalls Offline
MaleSurvivor

don't worry about it... cause, like I posted in a thread on the members side, i'm just going to go back to how I used to handle my problems many many years ago...

I have no problems.. no issues with me.. nope... i'm doing great!!!

Well I didn't get a message... Idk who you reached out to but, maybe they're not online? Or maybe they're not even the right person to be talking to if they aren't willing to listen. Why not reach out to me or traveler? I told you my door is open. Are there some people in specific you feel don't care about you that you want to care? Because you can see us right here right now, and we just told you we care.

#427347 - 03/06/13 10:40 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:15 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427350 - 03/06/13 11:23 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
The nature of Survivors is to be inherently self centered. It is pretty difficult for us to be genuinely interested in the well being of other people. Genuine caring about 'the other', I don't think is possible, until a real recovery has taken place.

Obi - I'm sorry you've been experiencing what you've been experiencing. I've seen it myself. Shit, I've DONE it myself.

There's a popular saying in Alanon - "Are you going to the hardware store looking for bread?"

I have learned from my dealings here at MS that I need to take care of myself first and foremost; and if I have something to offer and give, I'll give it. But I can't expect anything from anyone here.

If I DO receive something valuable here, it is a real gift.

D

#427351 - 03/06/13 11:26 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Obi]
CloudyFalls Offline
MaleSurvivor

no need to reach out. I don't have any more issues.

i'm doing great!

If you want to put on a facade, that's up to you. Look I can't help you if you don't want my help. I only want you to heal, and I hope you find the compassion you're looking for, because you deserve it. If you ever wonder, who care's about Obi? Just remember, CloudyFalls here does. But I can't fix you or fill that gaping hole inside that all of us here have. I'm sorry, I can't break through your defenses and swoop out all the pain. Believe me, I wish I could. I just don't know what to say Obi, I tried, I care.

#427371 - 03/07/13 09:31 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Magellan]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:14 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427372 - 03/07/13 09:45 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:14 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427374 - 03/07/13 10:43 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Yeah, I got tired a long time ago of saying I'm okay when I'm not. Sometimes I just say "Okay so far." We have to remember that howyadoin/okayyou is just an acoustic ritual, like those whooshing sounds modems and fax machines make so they can talk to each other.

John

#427377 - 03/07/13 11:24 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Obi]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: where the shadows lie
and because i genuinely care, and a lot of survivors know that, i get sought out for help, support etc. i don't mind doing that because i like to help...

but they forget that i'm a survivor too, still going through recovery as well.. that i need that help and support too...

I know how that feels. I've always been able to put on a strong face. Ever since I was a kid, I was always the one people thought they could rely on. Even people who had no business relying on a kid. People listen to me, or read what I say, I talk in a way that makes people assume I am ok. Even when I am really not.

#427388 - 03/07/13 02:43 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Obi]
CloudyFalls Offline
MaleSurvivor

That's okay Obi, it's okay to be selfish sometimes. There's the good selfish, then there's the bad selfish. I talked to my therapist about this because I am like you in a way, just look at my sig. It's much similar to how you said. "Be the change that you want in the world... do unto others as you would have them do unto you." And it's particularly hard, because not everybody is that way, it can be stressful.

The way my psych told me is, it's not really selfish if you're doing what you're doing to get what you need. If you're doing something selfish because of something you want, then you can question yourself. Don't worry about being selfish right now Obi, it sounds like you're just trying to get what you need. But above all, you're a great guy, I wouldn't question that.

#427412 - 03/07/13 07:54 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Magellan]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

A few years ago, when someone I knew well asked how I was doing, I had a patented, half-joking response. I would say, "Well, my life is a spiraling hell of unending pain and misery but I'm pretty much used to it so, all things considered, I guess I'm doing ok". Some people thought that was funny, some just thought it was fucked up. I stopped saying it because it was probably getting kind of old. Maybe I should start saying it again. Hee-hee.

#427413 - 03/07/13 08:12 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

ha! - i like that.

yesterday i just said - "about the same"
that kind of made people skip a beat - they didn't know how to take it or know what i was comparing it to.

the worst is when you answer with anything other than "fine" - and they say "What?" as if they are not even aware that they have asked a question!

#427414 - 03/07/13 08:31 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hee-hee. This morning I was buying my coffee at the gas station at about 6:45 AM and when the guy behind the counter asked how I was doing I said... "I don't know yet. Ask me in a few hours and I'll have a better idea." At that hour, I couldn't have given a more honest reply.

#427416 - 03/07/13 08:43 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: BraveFalcon]
CloudyFalls Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: BraveFalcon

Hee-hee. This morning I was buying my coffee at the gas station at about 6:45 AM and when the guy behind the counter asked how I was doing I said... "I don't know yet. Ask me in a few hours and I'll have a better idea." At that hour, I couldn't have given a more honest reply.

Lol, that's my best choice response in the mornings, I mean how should I feel I just woke up!

#427494 - 03/08/13 03:22 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: where the shadows lie
how do i feel?

I feel like there is no hope. Bullies rule the world. Most "good" people are wimps who back down and close their eyes when the bullies come around. The good places, good groups, good websites -- they will all eventually be overrun by the bullies. The bullies will move in and bare their chest and the wimps will cower and flee and no good thing in this world will ever last but in the end the bullies will still be there and no one will be strong enough to face them.

you asked.

#427737 - 03/11/13 09:46 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
since you are asking...

Today, I'm in brutal emotional pain; the palpable kind...the kind that feels like physical damage is being done to my heart.

I can actually see seven years of the unpredictable fears, loneliness, need for physical affection and the shame that went with it, when I went to him.

Nights of standing up all night so as to never fall asleep in fear of being killed in my sleep.

Pain, pain, pain, pain, pain. Brutal, sharp pain. Praying for some relief of just the pain.

I seek wisdom from Pastors; I get valed "your faith is not strong enough," or "you need to seek forgiveness." I've yet to find any pastor who places blame for the continued, protracted "involvement in that," on the shoulders of the perps... or of my father. "Why did you keep going back Still...that doesn't make much sense..." "You need to just try to get over it....forget about it...pray for THAT!"

I'm not kidding....I keep getting the SAME reactions over and over and over again from pastors, Psychologists and my Psychiatrist...oh...and my MD...and my sister...and friends who know.

Thanks for asking.

Edited by Still (03/11/13 09:50 AM)

#427738 - 03/11/13 10:12 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Still -

i don't know what to say. words are inadequate. i can't say i know how you feel. i can't say i have anything to offer. i wish i could help. i wish all those people with their stupid "answers" were more understanding. all i can do is hear you and believe you and respect you and your pain.

sorry, man.
lee

#427747 - 03/11/13 01:03 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
@BraveFalcon - I had no idea anyone else used that line. I use it all the time...and it's the truth.

@Still - Been there w/the professions you mentioned...patronizing, clueless, one-size-fits-all. fwiw, dealing with my depression days, if I can do one thing, even if that's not enough, that will just have to be enough because I'm incapable of anything else...at the moment. No self-judgment, if possible. If it's going outside, flushing the toilet or even shower/shave, well, that's something. Not unlike learning to walk again.

#427760 - 03/11/13 04:53 PM . [Re: traveler]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (04/21/13 10:42 PM)

#427762 - 03/11/13 05:14 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 09:31 PM)
Edit Reason: SILENCED

#427764 - 03/11/13 05:43 PM . [Re: traveler]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (04/21/13 10:42 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.