Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
2 registered (TR101, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447590 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#427350 - 03/06/13 11:23 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
The nature of Survivors is to be inherently self centered. It is pretty difficult for us to be genuinely interested in the well being of other people. Genuine caring about 'the other', I don't think is possible, until a real recovery has taken place.

Obi - I'm sorry you've been experiencing what you've been experiencing. I've seen it myself. Shit, I've DONE it myself.

There's a popular saying in Alanon - "Are you going to the hardware store looking for bread?"

I have learned from my dealings here at MS that I need to take care of myself first and foremost; and if I have something to offer and give, I'll give it. But I can't expect anything from anyone here.

If I DO receive something valuable here, it is a real gift.

D

#427351 - 03/06/13 11:26 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Obi]
CloudyFalls Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Obi
no need to reach out. I don't have any more issues.

i'm doing great!

If you want to put on a facade, that's up to you. Look I can't help you if you don't want my help. I only want you to heal, and I hope you find the compassion you're looking for, because you deserve it. If you ever wonder, who care's about Obi? Just remember, CloudyFalls here does. But I can't fix you or fill that gaping hole inside that all of us here have. I'm sorry, I can't break through your defenses and swoop out all the pain. Believe me, I wish I could. I just don't know what to say Obi, I tried, I care.

#427371 - 03/07/13 09:31 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Magellan]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:14 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427372 - 03/07/13 09:45 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas

Edited by Obi (05/03/13 06:14 PM)

my story

my vlog

#427374 - 03/07/13 10:43 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Yeah, I got tired a long time ago of saying I'm okay when I'm not. Sometimes I just say "Okay so far." We have to remember that howyadoin/okayyou is just an acoustic ritual, like those whooshing sounds modems and fax machines make so they can talk to each other.

John

#427377 - 03/07/13 11:24 AM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Obi]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: where the shadows lie
Originally Posted By: Obi
and because i genuinely care, and a lot of survivors know that, i get sought out for help, support etc. i don't mind doing that because i like to help...

but they forget that i'm a survivor too, still going through recovery as well.. that i need that help and support too...

I know how that feels. I've always been able to put on a strong face. Ever since I was a kid, I was always the one people thought they could rely on. Even people who had no business relying on a kid. People listen to me, or read what I say, I talk in a way that makes people assume I am ok. Even when I am really not.

#427388 - 03/07/13 02:43 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Obi]
CloudyFalls Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
That's okay Obi, it's okay to be selfish sometimes. There's the good selfish, then there's the bad selfish. I talked to my therapist about this because I am like you in a way, just look at my sig. It's much similar to how you said. "Be the change that you want in the world... do unto others as you would have them do unto you." And it's particularly hard, because not everybody is that way, it can be stressful.

The way my psych told me is, it's not really selfish if you're doing what you're doing to get what you need. If you're doing something selfish because of something you want, then you can question yourself. Don't worry about being selfish right now Obi, it sounds like you're just trying to get what you need. But above all, you're a great guy, I wouldn't question that.

#427412 - 03/07/13 07:54 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: Magellan]
BraveFalcon Online   content
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

A few years ago, when someone I knew well asked how I was doing, I had a patented, half-joking response. I would say, "Well, my life is a spiraling hell of unending pain and misery but I'm pretty much used to it so, all things considered, I guess I'm doing ok". Some people thought that was funny, some just thought it was fucked up. I stopped saying it because it was probably getting kind of old. Maybe I should start saying it again. Hee-hee.

#427413 - 03/07/13 08:12 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
ha! - i like that.

yesterday i just said - "about the same"
that kind of made people skip a beat - they didn't know how to take it or know what i was comparing it to.

the worst is when you answer with anything other than "fine" - and they say "What?" as if they are not even aware that they have asked a question!
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#427414 - 03/07/13 08:31 PM Re: Howyadoin(?)! @#%$&*+~!!! [Re: traveler]
BraveFalcon Online   content
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hee-hee. This morning I was buying my coffee at the gas station at about 6:45 AM and when the guy behind the counter asked how I was doing I said... "I don't know yet. Ask me in a few hours and I'll have a better idea." At that hour, I couldn't have given a more honest reply.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.