Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
6 registered (HD001, Obi, Johnnygolightly, lapchinj, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63375 Topics
443148 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#427852 - 03/12/13 11:35 AM Re: Pedophilia and problems in treatment [Re: unhappycamper]
jacobtk Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: unhappycamper
And I think the whole attempt to paint CSA as just another possibly acceptable "sexual orientation" is dangerously NAMBLA-like.

Berlin says in the interview that sexual activity between an adult and a child is wrong and harmful, so I do not think he is making the same argument as NAMBLA beyond saying that some people are born being attracted to children.

Quote:
The NAMBLA line was that their "boy-loving" did no harm to children--it was "society's" response that harmed the children.

Well, there may be something to that. We know that people generally accept the situation they grow up in as the norm. It is possible that in a society that condones adults having sex with children that the child would be less likely to find what happened to them harmful, especially if there were also social norms governing what behavior was acceptable. We can see that in ancient Greece, Rome and Japan.

That said, we know from current examples of subcultures like polygamist groups that have sex with children that simply having a social norm does not take away a child's fear and confusion. We also know that the child's consent tends not to matter in most of those cases. So while society's response make a bad situation worse, there is still no way a child can cope with or would actually freely consent to sex with an adult.

Quote:
Also, calling CSA (even with a fancy Greek name) just another "orientation" is a calumny on others who are struggling against prejudice towards their sexual orientations.

I think calling it an orientation can be misleading in this case because we do not do the same thing with other age groups. No one says that someone attracted to older people has a sexual orientation to them. However, I think the word "orientation" is useful to the extent that tells people we are talking about the way a person was born.
Every day I die again, and again Iím reborn/Every day I have to find the courage/To walk out into the street/With arms out/Got a love you canít defeat/Neither down nor out/Thereís nothing you have that I need/I can breathe/Breathe now - U2

#427986 - 03/14/13 12:31 AM Re: Pedophilia and problems in treatment [Re: catfish86]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I don't think Berlin is trying to justify adult-child sex. He is simply stating that if we are to prevent it, we must study it. Any hunter will tell you that you must study your prey to be successful. It is also true that merely passing laws outlawing something, no matter how draconian the punishment, does not equate with stopping or minimizing the behavior and in fact, may often make it worse. For example, prohibition was a roaring failure that simply pumped up armed gangs and widespread disrespect for the law. What does work rather well is Alcoholics Anonymous, where alcoholics are put at ease to discuss their habits and the damage it has caused. In an atmosphere that acknowledges the disease and proscribes a program of treatment, many of the most hopeless alcoholics have been reformed.

He is also trying to understand the dynamics of the organizations that have failed to protect the children. Now I will say, the ongoing rabid reaction of Penn State fans in defending Joe Paterno is hard to fathom, it really does boil down to them valuing football more than children.
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.