Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
4 registered (bluesky, 3 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63185 Topics
441814 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#42668 - 02/11/03 03:49 PM Pictures, links, and music
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
UBBCode is like HTML tags, it allows you to customize your post by adding HTML like functions like pictures, or links. It is also required to post things like CGI or HTML>

#42669 - 02/11/03 03:58 PM Re: Pictures, links, and music
andrew-almost52 Offline

Loc: canada
You're very good at this kind of stuff Brian. Peace, Andrew

#42670 - 02/11/03 06:13 PM Re: Pictures, links, and music
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Brian,

Thanks that is very helpful.

I do have a couple of questions.

Can you explain what a web server is and how a person can get their own, as you have? Is this like having your own website or something?

Also how do you find people with web servers (besides yourself of course) who host stuff for other people?

That's asking a lot Brian, so if & when you are able. Thanks.

Victor

#42671 - 02/11/03 11:40 PM Re: Pictures, links, and music
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
Okay here goes, a server is a computer that stores and sends information over a network like the internet. That information can be HTML documents (websites and email), binaries (.zip .exe .rar .rpm .gz whatever) it can be media (.gif .jpg .wav .avi .asf .wma etc) it can be just about any type of computer file. If you have a website then you have access to a server, however, that does not mean that you will always be able to remote host a file (have files on your site accessible to other sites besides your own) many free hosting providers will host sites but not files. But if you have a server you can host anything you like.

A web hosting package will run you from $10 to $200 a month for a "small site" and there may be additional fees for bandwidth usage (number of "hits"). To get your own server space look in the yellow pages under "internet hosting providers"

As for people willing to host files, all I can suggest is asking your friends, if you have any in the IT business, or look for some one offering free hosting to NPO's (non-profit organizations)

Does that explain it?

One more note, if your using an image from a small site it's a good idea to ask before using it, because the site may have to pay for bandwidth usage.

#42672 - 02/13/03 11:40 AM Re: Pictures, links, and music
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Yes Brian I think so. I'll do some checking. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Victor

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.