Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
2 registered (mikeg, 1 invisible), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442055 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#426327 - 02/24/13 04:51 PM Feeling guilty
Benthebeaver Offline

Loc: Germany
Iíd love to testify against my father, all at once, but I just canít. Thereís a trial against him, because of what he did to my sister, but his penalty would be harsher if I told as well what he did to my brother and me 9 years ago. It feels like Iím so damn helpless again, canít pay him back now what he did to usÖ I want to get out of this helpless position, but I canít and itís driving me mad. I feel guilt for many things in the past and now for not having been able to protect my sister, though people around me tell me all the time that Iím not guilty.. I know a lot of this guilt is not rational, but I still feel it, I canít change it, noone can change this by telling me that there's no reason to feel guilty. I turned him in, but Iím still not able to do the whole thing. Itís like when I told our neighbors, but then when they talked to my parents I said that I lied. They wanted to call the police and a lot of bad things could have been prevented, but I pretended that I just fooled them and that everything was fine.. and I was so good at pretending this. So my brother killed himself and I couldnít do anything against it.I never really did anything, just sat and watched, let my father hurt me and my family, let my brother kill himself. It feels like this is happening again when I just sit here and donít tell them a word. I know it wouldnít change that much, he wonít be a danger anymore for quite a long time, even if I donít testify, but it feels like losing again, being weak.. I canít cope with what he did to me, so itís a success for him, because I canít manage to testify.. so he won.
I know itís just in my head, but I canít switch it off..
Iím scared that they will be emotionless, listen to it like something they listen to all the time, like itís their job; at the same time I want them to be emotionless, I donít want them empathize. Iím scared of how they will look at me. Iím scared of saying it out loud, to hear me saying it. I canít even say just a few words. Everyone around me who knows it, only knows it from hints I dropped; they asked and I nodded, but I never said it myself, not even to my therapist. Why is it so hard to say it loud? I kind of donít want to hear it loud, like itís more real then. I still canít admit it. I know that it may have taken you some time too, but I can no way imagine to be able to speak about it one day, let alone tell a whole story. How do you manage to do this? This sounds weird, but itís even kind of hard for me to be here on this site and read what you wrote, scares me.

#426350 - 02/24/13 08:36 PM Re: Feeling guilty [Re: Benthebeaver]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
Benthebeaver (or just Ben?).

"Why is it so hard to say it loud?"

There are a lot of reasons. I don't think of them. I just accept that it just is.

You have said a lot more here than I had after six months on this site. (yes I posted but nothing about my CSA) I think you are doing great. I came here and at first all I could do was cry. I rarely would be able to make it through the first post in a thread. But in time it got easier. Not easy but easier.

"Iíd love to testify against my father"

I think you should. I think it would help you in the long run. Contact the prosecutor and see if you can get some coaching. That you might consider it then. But first consult your therapist. If you can't say it out loud then write a small note. Start there.

One thing that I found helped me with something like this. I take some over the counter pain medication. Tylenol or anything else like that.

You don't have to do this. But I wish you would.

#426459 - 02/25/13 06:28 PM Re: Feeling guilty [Re: Benthebeaver]
txb Offline

This is just a random thought. But if there are more charges against him maybe heíll be more likely to plead guilty Ė avoiding a trial. (this happened in my case. Unfortunately there is some stupid rule that let him get a third off his sentence just for pleading guilty) I know its easier said than done but you shouldnít blame yourself for not telling back then. Its not your fault. It is all 100% his fault.

Maybe you just need to throw yourself in at the deep end? I mean like, just go in all unprepared and deal with whatever happens later. Donít think about it much, go in there and say to whoever is in charge of your sisterís case that you have information that might help them. Then if you canít talk or you donít like the way they are looking at you at least youíll be able to say you tried. You do deserve justice for yourself as well as for your sister.

I know how hard talking about it can be. Even thinking about it and admitting it to yourself is scary. When I read people's stories here I can't imagine ever being able to tell mine like they can.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.