Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
8 registered (finallyhere, OCN, CafeMan, pufferfish, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63575 Topics
444171 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#42618 - 09/19/05 01:07 PM Just bought a SA book
Grunty1967b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Hi all, though't I'd share something that amuses me at least. I just bought a book from Amazon.com on childhood sexual assault. It's one of the recommended books via this site, and I recall other people have recommended it as well. It's called "Beyond Betrayal".

So what's the 'amusing bit'? I've been eagerly awaiting its arrival for a couple of weeks now. Now that it has arrived I'm just staring at the unopended box and being scared of opening it and reading it. I'm sure it will be good but I'm also damn sure it will involve lots of crying too!

I know I'll get around to it, but I just thought my reservations were on the amusing side.

#42619 - 09/19/05 02:33 PM Re: Just bought a SA book
TX_Space Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
OPEN IT and start reading!! It's AWESOME and yes there will be some crying because it's SO great to know that someone understands US...and wants to help US!

There are several exercises that Dr. Gartner encourages us to utilize to help in our healing. I haven't worked through them diligently yet...just mentally...and they help!!

tx_space

#42620 - 09/19/05 07:45 PM Re: Just bought a SA book
Sinking Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Took my ball and went home.
That's one of the few I haven't read but I trust TX_Space when he says it's a good one. I would caution though, somewhat in contradiction to TX, take your time. I think we need to be sure we are in the right mindset when we take on something so scary, something we know is going to be disturbing, at leat on some levels.

There are both an intellectual side to our healign, recovery and understanding as well as an emotional side. We have to pay attention to both, but it seems far easier to control the intellectual side than the emotional one. So take your time, maybe read a little and see how it goes. And it's always ok to take a break if needed. Little steps sometimes take us further than big steps. Just a little unsolicited advice. PS I completely understand your apprehensions in opening that box. Good luck - John

#42621 - 09/19/05 10:13 PM Re: Just bought a SA book
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
"OPEN THE BOX !"

Dave

#42622 - 09/20/05 08:33 AM Re: Just bought a SA book
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Grunty,

I think it's an important observation on your part and not really amusing as such. Opening the box will be a step forward and will require a willingness to discover things about yourself that you know you may not want to see. By not opening the box you are saying "I'm not ready. I will wait a bit for a better moment."

But there isn't a better moment than now.

Take care,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#42623 - 09/20/05 06:09 PM Re: Just bought a SA book
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
I am reading this book now. I find that I will read a chapter and then I take a little break. I started it about a month ago and am on chapter 4. It's good and worth reading when your ready.

Dale

#42624 - 09/20/05 06:35 PM Re: Just bought a SA book
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Last year I was reading a book called The Wounded Heart by Dr. Dan Allender. I heard from people prior to reading that it was a tough read and that I would need some debriefing on it. I got curious and decided that I wanted to know what was in this book. Sometimes I cried, sometimes I freaked. Other times I was relieved by the doc's wisdom. Others have started reading it and thrown it across their room. It is intense.

I think of this book from your post, and wonder if it is along the same caliber.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.