Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
3 registered (Itchy Feet, Sonata1, petercorbett), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447613 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#426092 - 02/21/13 10:13 PM The VA is killing our people
Zug Offline

Loc: Progress
THe VA is killing our people. I have experience the total failure of the VA to address sexual assault, specifically for men. I have 12 years of service in so and light infantry, have the help of a senator and over 5 years with no inpatient treatment or real help, not to mention my disability claim. I cannot afford underwear, my teeth need attention, etc. What I have gone through is enough to drive me (and others I imagine) away from the VA system for good. This is disgusting and the amount of resistance at the personal/individual, organizational levels and in terms of process is not just woefully bad, its effect is to exclude badly traumatized service members from badly needed treatment, disability benefits and the ability to move on with their lives. In addition there are the societal costs-substance abuse, the consequences of acting out-fighting, sexual behavior, the personal hell it dooms victims to and our inability to contribute to society-to be useful and pay our fair share.
This is criminal considering our service.

#426114 - 02/22/13 07:19 AM Re: The VA is killing our people [Re: Zug]
men_of_hrts.dbw Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Orchidland Big Island Hawaii
Zug,
Sad and triggering to read this. I too have had the same experience with the VA.
I thought I had no where else to go.
After two years I refused to seek mental health care from the VA and went to county services.
By then I was mumbling in the streets living in vacant buildings because I was too unstable for shelters. I lived on $200 food stamps and church meals.
The county Medicaid doctors treated me with compassion and care.
They and the social services helped me obtain Social Security Disability Income. It only took seven months..with no reconsideration or appeals..no lawyer either.
Yes the VA almost killed me.
I believe you and hope you can get the treatment you deserve and need.
I never filed for MST/PTSD compensation..oh, and after the SSDI kicked in the fkn VA garnished my checks for over $500 for medications I gave to my county doctors..thousands of seroquel/depakote and sleep meds...they sent in the mail after I told them to stop. Big resentments there.
I also know MST compensation is 10% and PTSD is another 20%. Non-service connected. What a joke..because without at least a 60% rating you still would not get medical coverage for what ails you.
Anyway, check out your county social services AKA: the welfare office.Apply for medical and if your in need food stamps.
You have the right as a patient to refuse medical services from the VA if they say you are a veteran and can go there.
Also sounds like your unable to work so you may need a waiver. Doctors will evaluate you.
I also received compassionate therapy from a LCSW at the womens crisis center and counselors at behavioral health department.
All of these professionals were involved in the process and expedited my Social Security claim.
When I was approved for benifits I was able to gain stability and slowly get it together again.

Do you feel like the VA does it to break our resolve?
Are you having active suicidal and homicidal ideology?
Are you over medicating on meds the VA gives you by taking more than the prescribed dose?

I did.

Now I live real far from society, sleep outdoor under shelter in the jungle on Big Island Hawaii. I am 5 1/2 years into this journey for survivorship and still pretty messed up on some issues and conditions but feel ready to bring conclusion to the past and live with as much peace, understanding and comfort I can create here.
Hang on bro, your gonna' make it out okay.
"What Say the Brethren"
"Hang the Bastards"

#426154 - 02/22/13 03:54 PM Re: The VA is killing our people [Re: men_of_hrts.dbw]
Zug Offline

Loc: Progress
Thanks for that, I needed to read it. I am in a better place with all of it today. I have some things to do/work on, the messy part is over (for now I guess) and I have some things to work on. I feel crazy, so I must be. From what I can gather from others this goes away, lessens over time, looking forward to that. Thanks to everyone again.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.