Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443285 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#425609 - 02/17/13 05:52 PM Re: Male CSA and Shame [Re: Letourski]
SmartShadow Offline

Loc: Washington State
Originally Posted By: Letourski
We can make a difference in sharing our stories. There is nothing more powerful than being understood, assured that you are not alone. When I came here, I was greeted with "I get you". Because I have been there too.

Finding our voice is not only about US; it's just as much about every other kid who has had to deal with this shit. And just as much about the perps who benefit most from our silence. The lives of others depends on our ability to share ourselves, our pain and suffering

Thanks for this perspective. These words realy resonate with me.

#425613 - 02/17/13 07:09 PM Re: Male CSA and Shame [Re: SmartShadow]
Letourski Offline

Loc: Canada
We can make a difference in sharing our stories. There is nothing more powerful than being understood, assured that you are not alone. When I came here, I was greeted with "I get you". Because I have been there too.

Finding our voice is not only about US; it's just as much about every other kid who has had to deal with this shit. And just as much about the perps who benefit most from our silence. The lives of others depends on our ability to share ourselves, our pain and suffering

#425666 - 02/18/13 04:40 AM Re: Male CSA and Shame [Re: SmartShadow]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
imo, SS, we've already found our voices. MS is one proof. Widespread reporting of Sandusky, the RCC and BSA is another.

As I posted elsewhere, I can't imagine this happening 10, 20, 30+ years ago when it was swept under the carpet. Attention will wax and wane, but the trend seems to be on the uptick now that people are talking about it. None of these institutions can go back to business as usual...because there will now always be a voice somewhere. (Not that it's a cause for our own complacency).

Many of us don't get personal justice. But I've come to be okay with my own case most of the time. I got/am getting the word out, often a person at a time. That's one of my strengths, not the organized rallies and campaigns. It's what I'm good at. Other survivors have other talents. But this is mine.

#425711 - 02/18/13 02:32 PM Re: Male CSA and Shame [Re: SmartShadow]
SmartShadow Offline

Lancer, thanks for this truth, I know things for male survivors are moving in the right direction. There seams to be a growing awareness and margin to talk about it. I still feel like a second class individual in all of this. I am ashamed and hiding. For the sake of everyone even myself. Ts, wife and this survival forum. That my circle of influence to this point. I would like to get strong enught internally to take more of a public stand. Lead a recovery group for male survivors or something. Right now that would be too much to manage. Not the group it self. But the social spot light. Would force me and my abuse statice in to all of my relationship. I don't have the ability at this point to deal with that level of focus and public labeling. Maybe this is part of why I have a limited voice. I limit it.
For the season of my recovery all I can do is own this.

Edited by SmartShadow (02/18/13 02:33 PM)

#425719 - 02/18/13 04:00 PM Re: Male CSA and Shame [Re: SmartShadow]
SmartShadow Offline

My abuser is not on a list. He probably is living and functioning quite well some where. I wish I could know that he has suffed at least as much as I have in all of this. But I think that would require the public shame and stress and loss of income and emotional turmoil that seem to have no end. I am to forgive according to my beliefs. In some way I have, in other ways I have a lot more work to do. But to forgive only releases me, it dose not excuse and it does not clean up his side of the street. Forgivness does not excuse anything. I would like our abusers to own the damage they have caused. How about they start by paying me back all the T $. Or just start picking up the tab from here on. On yea a compensation on all the losted productivity would be nice. Oh how about quality of life. On and on and on. I wish I could transfer some of this off my plate. To where it belongs.

#425724 - 02/18/13 05:00 PM Re: Male CSA and Shame [Re: SmartShadow]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wishing I could transfer some of this off my plate is exactly where I'm at SS...despite any appearances to the contrary. Often feeling like a second class individual (you really have a devestating way with words!) is something I've never been able to consistently shake off...and particularly when it comes to dealing after the fact with those who have even the slightest connection to the CSA.

I'm feeling a bit of that now as I've contacted a step-sister with the intent - IF she's receptive - of spilling the beans on the environment that led to the CSA. If one other person on that side of the family knows the truth - just one - that daylight exposure is quite enough for me.

"Forgiveness", imo, is bullshit used by religious institutions to subjugate and by New Age/self help publishers to sell books. I'm not buying. If the offending party hasn't even a clue he/she has done anything wrong and/or can't admit it, this so-called forgiveness or my refusal to even consider it just makes me "wrong" again, and has the potential to dial up the damage to my self-esteem another notch. I refuse to do that to myself. (As I've often heard in meetings, suffering is optional).

What I have managed to do over the years is come to a complete understanding of the dynamic. That's pretty damn good, actually helps clear the emotional slate some and gets me back into living in the present.

But I don't need any more reasons to make myself "wrong". I do not forgive my perp. I do not forgive his enablers. They were adults. They knew better. And I hold them responsible. Where it belongs is where I've put it. Right back in their laps.

#425725 - 02/18/13 05:09 PM Re: Male CSA and Shame [Re: SmartShadow]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
The issue of justice is especially troublesome to me, because I honestly don't know if I - or a great many of us - now have more options than I'd initially thought to be the case.

As we discussed here a few weeks ago, in 2012 the Justice Department revised the official legal definition of rape, which since 1927 had just specifically been the penile penetration of a resisting (and I believe unmarried) woman. Nothing else counted. The new definition is much more realistic, covering basically any orifice-based sex act upon anyone, including oral sex, including males.

Many, many of us here have been burned by the SOLs for child abuse. But what is the SOL for rape? Does the legal reclassification change anything? Especially for those of us who know that the abuser(s) is/are still alive?

I'm honestly afraid to look.... there is sometimes comfort in helplessness, in defeat, in knowing "oh well, guess what I'm doing today is the best I can do because there's nothing else to be done." If there's for real a pathway for legal pursuit now available to so many of us.... I honestly don't know if I'd have the stomach to start walking it. Takes everything I've got just to make it to work in the morning. But for those of you who might be a bit more stabilized.... maybe check it out and report back?

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#425730 - 02/18/13 05:47 PM Re: Male CSA and Shame [Re: SmartShadow]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

fwiw, my legal path has been blocked by current SOLs in the state where the abuse happened and may not even be resolved by their legislature this year. Inasmuch as there's nothing I can do about it, I've just shifted focus in the interim.

#425774 - 02/19/13 12:01 AM Re: Male CSA and Shame [Re: SmartShadow]
SmartShadow Offline

Yea, shift in focus. Back to the more productive I suppose.
Thanks for the input.

You know the forgivness thing like I said does not let my perp off the hook in any way. It just keep me from going insane.

#425823 - 02/19/13 09:14 AM Re: Male CSA and Shame [Re: SmartShadow]
Zug Offline

Loc: Progress
I was totally abandoned to my crazy mom by my family, and have been judged terribly by family because of her behavior. I have confronted some of the people who attacked me as an adult on the internet (recently)these are bad people and it puts me in real physical danger. I refuse to be quiet, this is too awful, being quiet almost killed me. I don't care what other people think, family or otherwise. If any of those disgusting ghouls come at me in the street because I told the truth they can take what I give them. Silence is what hurts us, I refuse to keep others secrets, it almost killed me and I should never have had to do it in the first place. The shame and guilt in this whole story is not mine, it belongs to others, I refuse to take it. They did it, they can live the consequences, even more so because I have had to. If family members don't like it they can lump it. I seriously don't care if telling the truth kills me, because I know that silence will. Sorry Im posting so much this am, Im new and I need it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.