Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (SoccerStar, CheerfulJohn, AL-S, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64019 Topics
446782 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#381883 - 01/09/12 04:29 PM Re: I published my book [Re: BuryingJack]
AndrewT Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hi Chris,

I am about half done with the book and am finding it immensely helpful. I can identify with a lot of what I have read already and some of it is new that I will be experiencing as I progress in addressing this part of my recovery.

One question - how helpful/important did you find the EMDR sessions to be in your recovery? My current therapist doesnt feel it is necessary to try to retrieve and/or relive those memories in order to recover but it seems it was a big part of your therapy. I am not sure if I should push the matter or just go without it and see how things go first.

Thanks again!

My story: http://tinyurl.com/AndrewTStory

#382083 - 01/11/12 10:47 AM Re: I published my book [Re: AndrewT]
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Andrew -

Thanks for reading, and for your kind words. I hope it can provide some sort of perspective.

As for EMDR, I found it to be very helpful in connecting with myself as a child and for realizing his innocence. It was a strange process, but I really was able to see my past more closely and re-live the memories (as difficult and painful as it was session after session) with an adult's perspective. I will say that it's very challenging, so you have to pace yourself, and you should also make sure that your therapist is well trained in EMDR and handles the process correctly. I had to step back several times and take a break, so please do that when you feel it's too much.

My best to you in your recovery. Progress is undeniable!! You deserve it.

Chris

#382084 - 01/11/12 10:50 AM Re: I published my book [Re: BuryingJack]
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

Also, the paperback was finally re-stocked on Amazon, so it's there again if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Meet-Me-Chris-Carlton/dp/0578098407/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

The fine folks at 1in6.org have purchased a number of copies and they will let you borrow the book if you don't want to purchase.

Best regards,

Chris

#382097 - 01/11/12 02:14 PM Re: I published my book [Re: BuryingJack]
EvanCan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I just purchased it from amazon. Can't wait til it arrives!
Chris, I am very very proud of you for finishing this book and getting it published!
I really loved your posts on your blog. You are such a talented writer.
Way to go, man!

#382106 - 01/11/12 03:35 PM Re: I published my book [Re: EvanCan]
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

EvanCan -

Thanks so much for the support along the way. If you like the book, and you feel comfortable sharing with others, please do. Best to you, my man!

Chris

#382111 - 01/11/12 04:20 PM Re: I published my book [Re: BuryingJack]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hey Chris,
I've started reading your book/diary and I find it very interesting. This book is great help for survivor's recovery.
Great job man!!!
Pero

#382116 - 01/11/12 05:58 PM Re: I published my book [Re: peroperic2009]
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

Pero - thank you, man. I always want to caution survivors (which I tried to do in the opening) that my recovery process is so specific to me. My timeline, my setbacks, etc....it's all based on my past experiences and personality and everything else. When you read the book, please be careful not to ever compare the things that you're going through with the things that I went through - especially my timeline for gathering my footing. We're all different, we're all brothers, and we all process differently. I hope in some way it can help you gain perspective, or offer a different angle, or anything that can help. Thanks again, my best to you, bro!

Chris

#382169 - 01/12/12 07:48 AM Re: I published my book [Re: BuryingJack]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Don't worry Chris, I'm aware that this is your story and there is no universal solution for our problems. By reading it last night I saw that you were very energetic, decisive and let say quick in your recovery. I'm a little bit different (or completely different :-)) nevertheless I'm also always looking for some humor no matter what kind of situation is.
Your process/experience and overall situation gave mi some new perspective. Partly I've recognized myself. Especially in part where you've mentioned assertiveness, non-assertiveness and aggression in relation to other people/family. I'm a little bit same (a little bit aggressive to my family) and non assertive toward other people; and people are usually more assertive to me than other way. So that gave me some material to think about. Can't wait to proceed further with reading. Your book offers grate value for money - you deserve some advertisement :-).
One more time thanks for courage to share your story with all of us!
Pero

#382660 - 01/17/12 11:17 PM Re: I published my book [Re: BuryingJack]
EvanCan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Chris,
My copy of your book arrived today. Holy Cow! This is great, great stuff, man! Seriously. I've made it to page 70 so far. I want to keep reading but I MUST GET SOME SLEEP.
Just want to say, "Well done!" before I hit the bed.
And I want to take a copy of this book to everyone I know and say, "See. Read this. Read what this Chris Guy says! It's so Real. This is Really What It's Like!"
You've given us all a strong worthy voice. Can't wait to get to read again (soon).

#382713 - 01/18/12 12:27 PM Re: I published my book [Re: EvanCan]
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

EvanCan -

That's great! It's always great to hear that the book is a way for those of us who have experienced abuse to better explain what it's like to those who may not understand. I was raised in a military household, where these things aren't exactly discussed (to say the least), and when I started writing my blog, our extended military friends weren't so pleased with what I was doing. So many of them told my parents that I just needed to "get over it" instead of writing so many details for the world to see. Since the book was released, so many of those people have contacted me and my parents and apologized for taking that stance - saying that they now understand what a survivor goes through dealing with these memories. That's a great thing for me to hear. Anyways, thanks for reading, and please share with anyone and everyone.

Take care, bro!

Chris

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.