Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64014 Topics
446752 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#425076 - 02/12/13 04:12 PM Abuse/Trauma & Prepping
LazyPirate Offline

Loc: Ontario
I am a prepper. Not quite a crazy doomsday prepper. I haven't spent my life savings building a bunker 40 feet under my garage, but I like to be prepared. I keep a few months of non perishable food on hand, many hundreds of litres of drinking water, many gallons of stabilized gasoline, a gas generator, a wood stove with lots of wood to burn, a couple of "go bags" at the ready... & my pride & joy: My emergency solar backup power system. It's kind of a hobby for me.

But I just got thinking today about this... Does my need to prep come from a need to feel safe, possibly due to being violated in the past? Do I over compensate now because I had no protection from bad things as a child? It's a really safe & sensible hobby I think. It means that in a power outage or major catastrophe my wife & I will likely be ok. Sure beats drinking, gambling or collecting Star Wars toys, from that perspective!

Anyone else here identify with this?

#425079 - 02/12/13 04:40 PM Re: Abuse/Trauma & Prepping [Re: LazyPirate]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: LazyPirate

But I just got thinking today about this... Does my need to prep come from a need to feel safe, possibly due to being violated in the past? Do I over compensate now because I had no protection from bad things as a child?
Anyone else here identify with this?

LP

Yes. I think it probably comes from that.

It's good to be prepared. But our lives are so intertwined with the communities we live in that subsistence without the community becomes questionable.

Yes, I too chronically feel unsafe. I was not safe as a lad.

Puffer

#425082 - 02/12/13 05:02 PM Re: Abuse/Trauma & Prepping [Re: LazyPirate]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Wow, LP, I never even thot of that.

I've lived most of my life in an area vulnerable to hurricanes and, because of experiences like weeks without electricity, have gradually increased my preps over the years.

I have a genny, gas, solar lamps and crank radio, large water jugs and a month of MREs, plus the usual nonperishables. During hurricane season the car's tank is topped off weekly. I have wondered if I'm going "prepper" or - at least down here in the States - if it's a post-9/11 overreaction, but never linked it to needing to feel safe as a child.

Excellent, unexpected insight. Thanks.

#425167 - 02/13/13 10:39 AM Re: Abuse/Trauma & Prepping [Re: LazyPirate]
xxanxus Offline

Loc: Global
Mmmm, it because your abuse but its not a bad way to find Cathersis. At least you will be prepared for anything

#425221 - 02/13/13 07:35 PM Re: Abuse/Trauma & Prepping [Re: LazyPirate]
LazyPirate Offline

...Got me thinking... Most of those guys on "Doomsday Preppers" may have had crappy childhoods.

#425233 - 02/13/13 10:21 PM Re: Abuse/Trauma & Prepping [Re: LazyPirate]
xxanxus Offline

Loc: Global
Originally Posted By: LazyPirate
...Got me thinking... Most of those guys on "Doomsday Preppers" may have had crappy childhoods.

what an interesting theory

#425538 - 02/17/13 09:05 AM Re: Abuse/Trauma & Prepping [Re: LazyPirate]
LazyPirate Offline

.......I usually watch that show & think "Man, is that dude ever messed up!!!" When a CSA survivor thinks someone else is really messed up, I think that's telling of some sort of trauma in their past... Be it CSA, PTSD or maybe some other sort of trauma or mental illness. I'm super mentally ill & I think I'm getting good at spotting others.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.