Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kinghenri (26)
Who's Online
1 registered (rolex), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64031 Topics
446842 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#424937 - 02/11/13 09:13 AM Pope Resigns
tshodson Offline

Pope Benedict XVI resigns at the end of February. He is resigning at the time the Catholic Church is in turmoil -- in part, over allegations of failing to investigate properly child sexual abuse allegations and failing to discipline priests who were found to have been molesters. This is the first resignation in 600 years -- since 1415....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pope...src=al_national

#424940 - 02/11/13 09:28 AM Re: Pope Resigns [Re: tshodson]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
He had direct oversight of the office that "investigated" those cases. Between that and the fact that popes just DO NOT RESIGN... I think a very big bomb is about to go off...

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#424941 - 02/11/13 09:34 AM Re: Pope Resigns [Re: tshodson]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I was caught off guard myself. With what happened in LA and Mahoney I would not be surprised if more revelations are forthcoming. Maybe the new Pope will be a stand up person acknowledge what happened and support the victims and survivors and realize a plague has and most likely still is running through the church--a plague that destroys children.

#424942 - 02/11/13 09:35 AM Re: Pope Resigns [Re: tshodson]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
I doubt anything will change. The dogma doesn't permit change.

John

#424944 - 02/11/13 09:40 AM Re: Pope Resigns [Re: KMCINVA]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: where the shadows lie
Originally Posted By: KMCINVA
I was caught off guard myself. With what happened in LA and Mahoney I would not be surprised if more revelations are forthcoming. Maybe the new Pope will be a stand up person acknowledge what happened and support the victims and survivors and realize a plague has and most likely still is running through the church--a plague that destroys children.

Given that the people who are in charge of selecting the new pope still have a lot invested in keeping the status quo, I don't have a lot of hope for them selecting a true revolutionary. But maybe they will at least do a better job about finding someone who was not so directly tied to the cover-up. I do agree with your thought that the reason for his resignation may very well have something to do with some news coming down the pipe. Less of a PR hit for him to get out now "with full freedom" (so he says) rather than be forced out later.

#424973 - 02/11/13 03:38 PM Re: Pope Resigns [Re: tshodson]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm with Soccer.

Something big is happening.

Cant

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.