Newest Members
hans32, SilentNoLonger, masryt, feartheroo, Xzander32244
12130 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ACLover94 (50), Henry (40), james 1959 (55), Johnny90 (24), poliwog (44), Starbuck (38)
Who's Online
8 registered (Jas52, CafeMan, 4 invisible), 62 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12130 Members
73 Forums
62553 Topics
438316 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#424928 - 02/11/13 08:11 AM Telling the doctor
mrgoggs Offline

Loc: Scotland
As a 9yr old I was assaulted by two older boys.
The only way I was able to deal with the situation was to put the incident in a room in my head and lock the door.
31yrs later the locks of that door are opening & its affecting my day to day life.
For the first time ever I told someone (my wife) what happened & she suggested I speak to my GP to be referred for counselling.
I'm meeting him today, however, I dont know what to say to him as I'm not sure I can re-tell my tale.
Any advice?

#424930 - 02/11/13 08:27 AM Re: Telling the doctor [Re: mrgoggs]
traveler Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
this is a good start, mrgoggs!

if you need to, print this out and take it with you and read it out loud. my T had me write a lot when we first started. it helped me organize my thoughts and start to process things before we even met. even if you say no more than this, you have communicated the essence -
1. what happened to you.
2. how you dealt with it.
3. what is going on now.
4. why you are seeing him.

he can ask questions for more details if needed. or you can fill in more between the main points. chances are, once you get started, it will be difficult to stop. it is such a relief to finally let it out.

you can do it. you can practice on us if you need to. we get it. most of us have been where you are now. come back and let us know how it goes, please.

Lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#424932 - 02/11/13 08:51 AM Re: Telling the doctor [Re: mrgoggs]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
ANYONE....any doctor will fully understand if you have to write it out on paper.

I found myself falling apart badly when I told my GP. Lots of folks have used the "hand him a sheet o paper" method.

Still's Globs

New Video

#424933 - 02/11/13 08:57 AM Re: Telling the doctor [Re: mrgoggs]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: mrgoggs
As a 9yr old I was assaulted by two older boys.
The only way I was able to deal with the situation was to put the incident in a room in my head and lock the door.
31yrs later the locks of that door are opening & its affecting my day to day life.
For the first time ever I told someone (my wife) what happened & she suggested I speak to my GP to be referred for counselling.
I'm meeting him today, however, I dont know what to say to him as I'm not sure I can re-tell my tale.
Any advice?

BTW: I was abused by older boys too. I know it poses its own collection of reasons to not disclose...but know this...nearly half of all cases are perpetrated by other kids. Do let us know how the doc visit goes.

Still's Globs

New Video

#424935 - 02/11/13 09:09 AM Re: Telling the doctor [Re: Still]
pittsburgh Offline

Loc: west Chester, Pa
Do not be afaid of the jouney, there is a better place. It took almost three years for me to tell my"T" everything. It is hard but worth the trip. Find a good "T" who has worked with males. Also know that you are not alone.
it is and has been quite a trip thru life, as last I feel that I am in a better place, it takes work and in my case a wife the was and is forgiveing and helpful. At last a relationship has gone right, messed up three.

#424936 - 02/11/13 09:09 AM Re: Telling the doctor [Re: mrgoggs]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hi mrgoggs,
welcome to Male Survivor!
Be aware that you are not alone , I'm sad to know about your abuse but healing is possible even many years later every one of us is sort of evidence for that. I found great support here!

I would suggest you not to give some details in that talk with which you are not comfortable or that could be emotionally too exhausting for you. Saying that you were abused and that you have later problems should be more than enough.
When I visited my therapist first time I didn't know what to expect and I was scared and worrying. When I meet her I told her in short all my story. Later she told me that was not necessary, trust and supportive relationship between therapist and client is something that is gradually building so there is no need to force anything. For start just couple of facts should be more than enough. Same goes for your talk with GP.
So please don't push yourself!

Pero

#424961 - 02/11/13 01:18 PM Re: Telling the doctor [Re: mrgoggs]
mrgoggs Offline

Loc: Scotland
Did it. Was too hard to explain so handed him the note I had written.
Glad I did it. Small steps

#424964 - 02/11/13 02:30 PM Re: Telling the doctor [Re: mrgoggs]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sehr gut!

I hope his reaction was acceptable to you.

A tough day for you.

Still's Globs

New Video

#424975 - 02/11/13 03:46 PM Re: Telling the doctor [Re: mrgoggs]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: mrgoggs
....Any advice?

Welcome mrgroggs!

It took me 42 years to begin coming to terms with what happened to me at 13. It took me 10 years of therapy, before I could actually say the words. The good news it that I finally did it and am making progress. You will too if you do the work fearlessly and don't give up.

Be aware that not every therapist is trained for dealing with CSA trauma. Read the thread here on how to pick a therapist for help: A Consumer's Guide To Therapists. If your current counselor isn't working out, don't be afraid to change. This is about YOU!
Good luck and keep asking for help. You will always get it here.

Jude
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown, the dream is gone
And I have become comfortably numb."
Pink Floyd

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.