Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
1 registered (traveler), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63846 Topics
445822 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#425011 - 02/11/13 10:31 PM Re: authority phobia [Re: Lancer]
traveler Online   confused
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Originally Posted By: Lancer
Here's a thot, why the hell - especially in your recovery - would you want to work for an institution like that? Just something to let your brain chew on.

it didn't used to be this way - things have changed since we started here. we loved it when we started here. then the super got rid of the original principal - replaced him with a crony 2 years ago. that started the decline. then when the new guy couldn't hack it, earlier this year, we got a temporary replacement who is also not qualified. it has only become apparent in the past few months how serious the problem is - and how difficult it is to correct it.

we have to stay through the end of school as per contract. we are seriously considering the next step. but changing jobs and moving when you are overseas is not an easy thing - especially from one country to another. it involves selling most of your household stuff, shipping special items - and basically starting over somewhere else. not to mention visas and work permits and so on. we'd prefer to solve the problems rather than desert the sinking ship if possible.

we didn't take the jobs to work for "the man" - but to contribute to the lives and educations of the kids - and help the families of expats.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#425014 - 02/11/13 11:09 PM Re: authority phobia [Re: traveler]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Yeah, I almost didn't post that, Lee, for exactly those reasons. I thot it might be a little brutal.

What I do like is that, as long as I've known you here on MS, you've been consistent on your dedication to the kids. It's an excellent focus. imo - a thot to take with you - it would be a good thing to keep close to your heart during the meeting. It's one of your greatest strengths.

#425114 - 02/12/13 09:08 PM Re: authority phobia [Re: traveler]
MaleSurvivor

So - we had the meeting with the whole staff and the superintendent apologized for the way his decisions and the timing of some of his actions had impacted us all. he realizes that some of those were mistakes. that was a surprising and new development. i never expected that to happen.

then we had a personal appointment at his request between the superintendent and my wife and me. i still don't know where we stand. we are not getting fired or sent away - but nothing was really resolved either.

i think he expected us to forgive and forget, no questions asked. but that is not going to happen. we said we appreciate his apology and left it that we will wait and see how things go from here...

what he doesn't seem to understand is that we must daily and hourly live with and adjust to the repercussions of his decisions - often at considerable cost of extra time, effort and difficulty to us. for him its over - but not for us.

so - we ended by all expressing our frustrations and maybe understanding what everyone is thinking and feeliing a bit better - but without any substantial change except for his apology - and with us still wary about the authenticity of that.

anyway - the situation is not as dire as i feared - but still far from settled and comfortable. he assured us that there will be no retaliation for our speaking our minds frankly. i guess that is good as far as it goes.

and Lancer - i did what you suggested - the last thing that i said was that the main thing at stake is the welfare of the students and that all of this political wrangling is a distraction and detriment to that. he agreed with me. that was probly the best thing that came out of it.

Lee

Edited by traveler (02/12/13 09:11 PM)

#425115 - 02/12/13 09:12 PM Re: authority phobia [Re: traveler]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
That, imo, is nothing short of incredible. I share your relief, Lee.

(Addendum: No, didn't catch the last para. You said what was in your heart. We jus' gave you a li'l nudge. What I really like at this point is that, indeed, you can get back to the kids without this weighing on you).

#425116 - 02/12/13 09:14 PM Re: authority phobia [Re: traveler]
MaleSurvivor

Lancer - i think we were both typing at the same time - i hope you saw my last paragraph - that i may have added while you were reading the post that lacked it.
thanks for your input - it helped.
Lee

#425155 - 02/13/13 07:28 AM Re: authority phobia [Re: traveler]
SmartShadow Offline

Loc: Washington State
Thank for the update,

Way to keep,your head on.
Some times true resolution is not avalable but at least you can breath easier.

Glad to here it went this well for you.

#425158 - 02/13/13 07:51 AM Re: authority phobia [Re: traveler]
crazy gecko Offline

Wow, Lee - that is wonderful! I'm so happy it turned out so much better than you expected. I hope it doesn't just stay here, and that they actually make real changes to improve things for you...
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.