Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
alan's marc (43), Opal (59)
Who's Online
2 registered (Banjo596, 1 invisible), 69 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62528 Topics
438168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#424717 - 02/08/13 04:17 PM Need Advice on Therapy Types.
Tanis2105 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: SW Florida
Iím writing here today to say hello as Iím finally able to return. The reason for my departure was I started having seizures both at work and home starting in August to the point where I basically shut myself in until the end of October when they put me into the hospital and ruled out any physical reasons like epilepsy. They have concluded after all this time and test it seems to be something called Conversion disorder. I have been seeing a new T and Physiologist who are working together with medications and therapy and as of now I have been event free for a month. I have had bad luck with T that understand CSA and finally gave up seeing anyone but these two seem very good and I have started to open up more.
They reason I also am writing is they what to try bio-feedback and something called Rapid Eye Therapy with my medications to help me through my depression, PTSD and other issues. This scares the hell out of me as I donít understand it. I have a major fear of being touched or not in control like say in a hypnotic state. I have questions to ask both my T and Dr. before trying this but not sure just what to say. Is anyone familiar with this? Is it safe? Thanks in advance to any advice.

#424720 - 02/08/13 04:42 PM Re: Need Advice on Theapy Type. [Re: Tanis2105]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Tho' we've never met, glad you're back anyway. Your post caught my attention since I'm seeking out a new T and have had similar questions about the treatment your describing, also called EDMR.

I think you'll find both sides of the debate among your brothers.

For a relatively unbiased look, the Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_movement_desensitization_and_reprocessing

For my own case, I'm leaning away from it, primarily because CBT has worked for me in the past. For you, however, it may be more effective. I don't know. The support I can provide is that I think you're doing the right thing in asking questions, getting opinions from your brothers and researching it.

My heart goes out to you Tanis. Very glad you've had an event-free month.

#424722 - 02/08/13 05:07 PM Re: Need Advice on Theapy Type. [Re: Tanis2105]
LazyPirate Offline

Loc: Ontario
Hi Tanis,
I can offer a tiny bit of insight here... I used to go to bio-feedback sessions with a great lady. It was some of the best, most relaxing time I've ever spent, anywhere, any time. I really don't remember the science, as it was likely explained & I probably just glazed over... But I highly recommend just trying it. The reason I don't go any more is just simply the cost. It was about $200 per session. Some day I'll go back.

All the best!

#424726 - 02/08/13 05:36 PM Re: Need Advice on Theapy Type. [Re: Tanis2105]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am starting EMDR now with a T that specializes in DID (dissociative identity disorder).

I have the same fears about hypnosis and loss of control, but my understanding of EMDR is that you're never in a trance or ultra-relaxed state. You'll still be in control of you.

But they should work you up slowly on EMDR because as you read about it, you will see that although it's a very simple technique, it can also be very powerful. You should ask your T's directly if they have experience doing EMDR on clients with DID or other dissociative issues (not sure how to classify your seizure activity, but assuming it's dissociative).

It's the right path, I think, but also not one to take lightly or too quickly. Don't rush it. Step by step.

Cant

#424732 - 02/08/13 07:14 PM Re: Need Advice on Theapy Type. [Re: Tanis2105]
Tanis2105 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: SW Florida
Thank you all for the help in this matter I will look into it further and hopefully down the road be able to report progress no matter how small.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.