Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
3 registered (Tiger1982, 2 invisible), 45 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63104 Topics
441295 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#424540 - 02/06/13 08:02 PM *
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 02:17 PM)

#424569 - 02/07/13 02:34 AM Re: Institutions [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
crazy gecko Offline

It's crazy, isn't it?

Gays have been banned for... well, forever. And they had a huge pedophile problem. So to address the pedophile problem, their solution is to continue to ban gays, thus keeping status quo? I don't see how this could make sense even to the most bigoted homophobes... confused
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

#424573 - 02/07/13 02:53 AM Re: Institutions [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Rosemary Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
It is crazy.

Santorum says: Scouts may not survive if gays are allowed in. Yeah, well thats what they thought about giving the vote to women and freedom to slaves. If an organisation must cling to bigotry of any sort - whether its based on race, gender, orientation, in order to "survive" then it probably deserves to die.

Partner Support
South African Male Survivors Of Sexual Abuse
Web page www.samsosa.org

#424574 - 02/07/13 02:59 AM Re: Institutions [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Rosemary Offline

My apologies, new to the site, it seems I should not post in this forum as a woman, bit ironical when the discussion revolves around "prejudism".

Partner Support
South African Male Survivors Of Sexual Abuse
Web page www.samsosa.org

#424616 - 02/07/13 12:07 PM Re: Institutions [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Please see the link below and let the world know how you feel about this matter.

Boy Scout protest

Edited by JoziSA (02/07/13 01:27 PM)

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

#424648 - 02/07/13 08:00 PM Re: Institutions [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Well done blog as usual, Gary.

And, as usual, I'll add my twist ;-)

The Supreme Court, imo, was correct in their decision vis-a-vis a private organization. By the same token, those organizations and institutions which have anti-discrimination policies in place are correct to withdraw support.

Which leaves the religious wing nuts. Well, we've been seeing how that's working out in the most recent U.S. elections and U.S. society in general, including the usual sexual scandals.

Fortunately, Gary, you also pointed out the ongoing pedo scandals in BSA. My perp was also a Scout leader and I can just imagine what havoc he wreaked with those young lives. Imagine if BSA had truly applied its principles - going back decades - on the matter in the first place. Not unlike the RCC, huh?

Well, the dirty laundry is now out there for everyone to see. Again, as with the RCC, the momentum has started. Except in undeveloped countries with low education rates, the RCC is seeing membership walk as they continue to desperately cling to Medieval (not necessarily Christian) thinking. The Scouts are headed in the same direction.

imo, we're back to education. Our perps generally were/have been "straight" married men. All the more reason to very publcly nail and ruin these bastards' lives when they're caught. It's not surprising these pedos are more likely than not also anti-gay extremists who use it as a cover for their activities.

Fortunately, too, that generation is dying out. And that includes many of the current BSA leadership. In my scouting days there wasn't a single non-caucasian face to be found. It changed, but took decades. I think it's a similar situation here.

It just occurred to me how different my life would have been if I'd been able to talk to a gay scoutmaster about what happened to me.

Equality is still a relatively new thing in many minds. Are most young families going to tolerate intolerance? I don't think so. And I think it's less likely as time passes that the younger people will put up with it. If BSA continues to identify with right-wing extremist Christian organizations, their membership will dwindle and they'll be consigned to history as a dim irrelevancy of their former selves.

It could be, too, newer (inevitable), smarter leadership may be true to the Scout philosophy, embrace diversity (including religious) and make the organization more relevant than it's ever been.

#424650 - 02/07/13 08:43 PM Re: Institutions [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Addendum: Gary, you lit a fire under my butt to send this off to AT&T Chair Randall Stephenson (BSA Board):

Mr. Stephenson --

I hope by some chance this email finds its way to your screen.

Let me give you a perspective you may not have considered on the gay scouting issue. There's a lot of yelling going on, invoking all kinds of platitudes, and I doubt anyone is listening. In my mind, personal stories are the best illustrations.

I'm a Scout from the 60s-70s. I am also a suvivor of childhood sexual abuse. My perpetrator was my high school's director of guidance who was also a former church camp director, where the abuse continued. He was married and had four children.

He was also a Scout leader. It's hard for me to even think about the havoc he may have wreaked on other young lives in that position. He was a "respectable" man with a respectable family and held "respectable" positions. And he murdered my soul. I was already in an abusive situation at home - my sexual orientation being only one issue - and he used that issue and my "shame" to rape me.

Had I an openly gay scoutmaster in whom to confide at the time, I think my life would have been considerably different and the perp, deceased in 1998, might have even gone to jail.

Therefore, thank you for doing, in the best Scouting tradition, what is right. And, yes, if it will help, you have my permission to use my story.

#424891 - 02/10/13 11:05 PM Re: Institutions [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#424895 - 02/10/13 11:16 PM Re: Institutions [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#424904 - 02/11/13 01:55 AM Re: Institutions [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

3-in-1 pedo? Thankgawd you're around to lighten up the discussion Jeff. (One of his sons, btw, became your heterosexual macho man survivalist).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.