Newest Members
MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two, VASurvivor
12331 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12331 Members
74 Forums
63409 Topics
443328 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#423791 - 01/30/13 06:58 PM Triggered by commercials
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Fantastic. It's Valentine's Day commercial season, where every commercial break I get to realize how lonely and alone I am with every other ad about "that special somebody."

So I mute the commercials; I turn off the TV. But that doesn't keep the calendar moving closer to the 14th, the worst day of the year. Those of you who have somehow managed to keep a relationship together, you are so lucky.

And then, to top it off... I ran across the new M&M commercial for the Super Bowl, and it triggered me hard. The premise of the ad is that Ms. Brown knowingly sends the dim-witted Red M&M home with a woman who "can't control herself around chocolate," and it ends with what appears to be a sexual assault in her car. If the gender roles were reversed, there would be outrage... but this way, they sell it as humor to sell candy.

I've been trying to identify my emotions when I experience them to help me sort through them, and this one is easy. This is anger that I'm feeling. Anger.

Here's the link to the commercial. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9MqJrQ5xbg

#423842 - 01/31/13 08:44 AM Re: Triggered by commercials [Re: cant_remember]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
All the more reason why I don't watch or have a TV.

#423845 - 01/31/13 09:31 AM Re: Triggered by commercials [Re: cant_remember]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Before I was not sensitive on these matters but after I came here and found how many of us can be easily triggered only I can say is that this add is so over-sexual frown

I hope you'll not have problems with Valentine day. I must add that such pressure has risen in my country by pop culutre lately and I find that as terrible sign of deteriorating of cultural values.
I've had hair cut couple day ago and my hairdresser was concerned where she would be on that day as she broke with her boyfriend and now is alone.
I'm very intrigued on question of setting limits where is the end of such pressures from mass media to our lives, it seems to me that such limits have been constantly pushed eroding our life's qualities in the name of unscrupulous corporations and profit.

Pero

#423912 - 01/31/13 07:37 PM Re: Triggered by commercials [Re: cant_remember]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
yep - i totally get this. even while in a relationship, this has always been a difficult, triggering time of year. there is so much crap piled on us in the media about how love or romance or any kind of relationship is "supposed" to be. and if you don't fit the stereotype, you feel you are a wrong, disqualified, failed, loser! ALL the "Hellmark" holidays make me feel like sh!t: mother's day, father's day, valentine's day, christmas, birthdays... i'd say we should declare a survivor's day in self-defense - but some idiot would probably start manufacturing cards and producing commercials to tell us how we are supposed to feel about it! mad

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#423915 - 01/31/13 07:50 PM Re: Triggered by commercials [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

I like the idea of Survivors Day.

Cant

#423931 - 01/31/13 09:50 PM Re: Triggered by commercials [Re: cant_remember]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
@lee, survivers day would be great, as to cards, I would suggest ones that are mirrors at the front with "good job on still being here" written undernieth laugh.

@pero agreed on capitalist rubbish. I however hate valentines particularly, indeed I only remember having one good valentines day in my life and that was in 2009 when I performed in the Mikado on that day (ironically also the only time a girl has at least kissed me, ---- or at least my character on the cheak). If someone (especially a female someone), complained about being alone on valentines I'd probably not give a very polite response, indeed I'm dreading having to listen through my friends make their valentines day plans.

The other worst thing about valentines is that it's inescapable! It's not just tv, it's radio, cards, posters, even restaurants, and even the plans of friends!

I no longer own a tv license (actually because the only thing I was watching on tv was Doctor who, and it was cheaper to buy that on dvd), so I don't see adverts, and even if I'm at my parents they have a sky plus box which can reccord programs and forward past the adverts. When adds are triggering (which with my genophobia happens quite oftne), I generally have to go into blank mode again, which is also why I'm not checking your above link, particularly since abuse by a man by a woman is a little too close to home.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.