Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
9 registered (DaiseyLady, myrlin, 0128, 5 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64191 Topics
447937 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#42368 - 07/29/02 08:24 PM Who'd be a perp ?
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Just watched a tv programme ( I watch toooo much crap !! ) about the first time DNA profiling was used, not far from where I live, to catch a double rapist, murderer of teenage girls.

This was back in the 80's sometime and was a hell of a leap of faith for a rural police force to embrace technology that was still experimental.
But look at it now, we've just had a local factory break in solved by DNA on a cigarette butt !

Doesn't EVERYONE know about the power of this process now ? Or are perps terminally stupid ?
Or is it desperation and the power of the phrase "this is our little secret" ?

Lloydy

#42369 - 07/30/02 06:32 AM Re: Who'd be a perp ?
BlueOne Offline

I think a lot of times it's just arrogance. I mean, so much of it is about power, and when they're abusing they feel totally powerful and untouchable, which imho is the reason a lot of them return to it over and over--it's the only way they feel like they're in control. And I think a lot of times they do get scared afterwards, which is where the threats and the violence come in. Plus, there is, unfortunately, a lot of power in the phrase, "You can't ever tell anybody about this."

Besides, a lot of people engage in compulsions without much thought to the consequences. Even I do that--every time I light a cigarette. Not that smoking and being an abuser are the same, but I do think there's a similar denial going on. "I'll get away with this."

Blue

#42370 - 07/30/02 01:52 PM Re: Who'd be a perp ?
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
BlueOne
Yes, compulsion's got a lot to answer for. The police psycologist on the programe was giving a profile of the killer - perp and it sent shivers down my spine. How much did I recognise from my past acting out ? Too damn much for comfort that's a fact.........
Scary stuff.
Lloydy

#42371 - 07/31/02 12:49 PM Re: Who'd be a perp ?
integrator Offline

Loc: New York
And how about, "Don't tell anyone, or else!" I know the feeling, the profiling, the shame and fear.
As a result, though, that's why finding the flip side is the way to go. My angle and interest years ago was in the PIRG's doing public interest work. Now, years later, my involvement in Amnesty International, the Sierra Club, the ACLU, and other rights advocates is extremely empowering. The law is on your side, and like the phrase, "God helps those who help themselves", works in pretty much the same way, it seems to me.

#42372 - 07/31/02 01:05 PM Re: Who'd be a perp ?
integrator Offline

Loc: New York
Gosh, I think back a few years when I was first recalling the memories, and really reeling in the shock and shame. There was one really embarrassing moment involving a ski trip and a girl. I had gone into the room with the compulsion to kiss her! Man. Ugh. Talk about embarrassing. Well, I basically stopped before anybody got touched or anything, but that tells a lot already. The cycle. Thankfully, Buddhism and the Twelve steps help exorcise that demon. Of course, other people are walking around without that commitment, and so the show goes on.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.