Newest Members
hans32, SilentNoLonger, masryt, feartheroo, Xzander32244
12130 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ACLover94 (50), Henry (40), james 1959 (55), Johnny90 (24), poliwog (44), Starbuck (38)
Who's Online
6 registered (On The Fringe, Frustrated, I Want 2 Thrive, CafeMan, 2 invisible), 68 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12130 Members
73 Forums
62555 Topics
438325 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#423419 - 01/27/13 11:48 PM Manhattan therapist
Larry_Johnson Offline

Hi guys,

I'm really glad I found this forum and hope it helps me sort out my life issues and get my marriage back.

I've always struggled with self worth issues and while I personally acknowledged being abused as a kid, I only just realized or admitted how much of an impact it's had on my life.

I was hoping someone had a good therapist recommendation in downtown Manhattan. Or anywhere in Manhattan? I've gone through the listings on the MS site but would love a proper recommendation!

I was also hoping to do an intensive retreat somewhere nearby, like upstate New York. Any suggestions?

I'm in a dire situation at the moment, my wife has given me an ultimatum and I can't bear to be without my daughter.

Would appreciate any help... I'm struggling to know where to start and just want the numbness to end so I can start living again.

#423427 - 01/28/13 02:38 AM Re: Manhattan therapist [Re: Larry_Johnson]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hi Larry, welcome to MaleSurvivor!
Good to see you here, I'm sorry that you are brought in such situation.
I don't know for therapists but I hope someone could recommend it.
Starting therapy is more than good start, you'll need some time to adjust to it.
For start here take a look what is offered and what suite you the best, take some time and slowly explore boards. Reading some stories could be overwhelming and triggering (it can bring some negative emotions and flash backs from past) so take care of yourself while you are doing it.
Here is something written for survivors who are starting healing journey:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/docs/FirstStepstoGetHelp.doc
It shows us how to start to look on our lives in constructive and affirmative way, something that is just opposite of numbing. Being member of this community helped me a lot, I've found new buddies with whom I can share my struggles without any hesitation.
Keep sharing with us!
Pero

#423572 - 01/29/13 10:50 AM Re: Manhattan therapist [Re: Larry_Johnson]
ACRoberts Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey (recently moved fro...
Hi Larry!
Welcome to MS.

Richard Gartner is located in lower Manhattan and is among the leading professionals in this field. He has published two books as well as maintained a practice for many years. I have been in one of his groups for male survivors for over two years and have found it to be incredibly helpful in my healing process.

Male Survivor also provides several intensive Weekend of Recovery programs throughout the year in various locations. I attended one two years ago and it really changed my life.

I wish you all the best in your healing journey!

#423815 - 01/31/13 12:32 AM Re: Manhattan therapist [Re: ACRoberts]
Larry_Johnson Offline

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've been recommended Richard Gartner from others as well. I spoke to a lot of therapists today and unfortunately they were either fully booked, didn't take my insurance or they didn't fill me with the greatest confidence.

I'll give Richard Gartner a go.

I was also looking at the WOR schedule and am keen to get involved... I'm glad to hear it changed your life. I'm in need of that right now!

#424192 - 02/03/13 10:41 PM Re: Manhattan therapist [Re: Larry_Johnson]
focusedbody Offline

Loc: NY
A couple of years ago, I went into therapy with a man named Jeff Conway. Similarly, I have children and have been having relationship problems with their Mom. Jeff has been a good ally in my battle for clarity about what happened to me along the way that is still holding me back.

Stay strong.

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.