Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
4 registered (86, 3 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63236 Topics
442192 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#423366 - 01/27/13 02:00 PM Hibernating as avoidance
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
Well, with all this cold weather we've been having and the fact that it's winter time I've been inclined to stay indoors lately where I'm safe and protected. I don't think this is too unusual for this time of year and for me as I've always been a homebody. It has been very cold out too. I am, however, starting to feel stuck, as if getting back into old patterns of storing fat and not living my life in the present. I need to do something to get unstuck, but it would mean getting involved in life much more than I am now. A scary step indeed for me to contemplate doing, and one that I've never taken before. It's an unavoidable step if I want to live my life though. Note sure why I'm writing this post other than to get my thoughts out there.

Thanks for reading,

Caz

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

#423372 - 01/27/13 03:07 PM Re: Hibernating as avoidance [Re: Casmir213]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
Hey Caz. I feel the same way. I doubt I will do much about it for the balance of the winter though. (getting out) I hate going out in the cold. And I try to combat the weight gain by doing an hour on the treadmill each day.

#423374 - 01/27/13 03:16 PM Re: Hibernating as avoidance [Re: Casmir213]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Hello again Rocco.

This sounds familiar indeed, in fact I can probably understand even more than you might guess, sinse for me new groups of people are a pain, having to go through all that rigmerole of "yes, I am of the same bloody species as you!" and it can quite often feel just easier to sit at home and do my own thing, since doing all that again and again just feels like too much hard work especially as the "rewards" of company as you might call them I've noticed are pretty hard won and often less than lasting. I've also found that two feet of snow is a great self excuse as well.

For me, one of the main things that helped with this was making a regular commitment to leave the house, go out and do something, on the full understanding that what I'd be doing would be a pain in the rear for several weeks. This began with me wandering in to some lectures going on at my uni in Modules I hadn't taken as an undergrad, simply to avoid having to sit at home as much, and also so that I had the commitment to go. I made a similar commitment to the light opera I was performing in, which meant going on quite a long journey twice a week, not to mention having a bunch of people round each weekend for a tabletop roleplay game.

Most recently this year I'm doing a lot of stuff, including weekly singing lessons, plus learning to speak Italian, not to mention doing another production. Then of course on a physical level, I now have a guide dog so physically cannot! sit at home all day as that would be horribly bad for her, indeed on the pure leaving the house and doing walks front that is a very nice motivation I found, since I personally tend to find it is always easier to do things for someone else than myself, even if the someone else has fir, four legs and a tale.

One of the things that I found I had to realize myself, was that though I am! an intravert, intravertion is like any other addictive drug that you use for comfort, the worse you feel, the more likely you are to over dose on it, and over doses can be bad.

So much as I would very much like to imitate Badger from wind in the willows, and have a door mat saying "not welcome!" I realize that on a long term basis that just isn't a good idea, for all that I might wish to on a lot of occasions.

Btw, for a very amusing and worryingly accurate take on this in song, have a listen to This song sung by Badger from an animated version of wind in the Willows, ---- it expresses a lot of the way I feel about other people much of the time, for all now I know it's not exactly worthwhile.

#423375 - 01/27/13 03:33 PM Re: Hibernating as avoidance [Re: Casmir213]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Candu,

I can understand now, after having a week of the frigid Candadian air mass decend upon a third of the US, how it is difficult to go outdoors in such cold weather. I have a stationary bike that I could use, but it would take some self-motivating for me to get back on it. It would probably help the seasonal blues though smile.

Thanks,

Caz

#423376 - 01/27/13 03:44 PM Re: Hibernating as avoidance [Re: Casmir213]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Luke,

Hibernating is an addiction in a sense. And as with all other addictions it has as its function an escape or avoidance of life. Your advice and suggestions are sound and therapeutic. I have also found that forcing myself to go outdoors has an immediate positive effect upon my mood. I wonder sometimes why I don't do it more. I could have gone out today to purchase a nice book to read, but haven't set foot outside, and probably won't for the rest of the day. I'll check out that song Luke.

Nice to hear from you again,

Rocco

#423378 - 01/27/13 04:03 PM Re: Hibernating as avoidance [Re: Casmir213]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I loved that song Luke. An anthem indeed for introverts everywhere, and my sentiments exactly.

Thanks for that,

Rocco0

#423433 - 01/28/13 04:31 AM Re: Hibernating as avoidance [Re: Casmir213]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Hi rocco.

good to hear from you even for a less good reason, indeed since up hear on the northeast of England we've just had! about three feet of snow which is only melting off today I completely understand the sentiment.

Btw, it's not shown on that clip, but a rather amusing end to it is that after singing the song, Badger recieves the knock on his door from rat and mole who are lost in the middle of the Wild wood on a snowey winters night, and says "oh dear! you look freezing, please come in and sit by the fire!"

Again, much easier to do things for others, including enduring company.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.