Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
3 registered (MrsC, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63848 Topics
445827 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#423101 - 01/24/13 09:19 AM inspiring article by Greg Louganis
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
not exactly recent news- but a really inspiring article about Greg Louganis.

Quote: "I almost want to thank all the bullies in my life: the ones who called me "n*gger," "retard," "sissy boy," and "f*ggot"; those who threatened to throw punches at me and took my lunch money at the bus stop; those who actually threw punches at me and rubbed my face in asphalt; my dad, who whipped me with his belt until I did a dive I was too scared to do in my regular practice; the coaches who belittled me and intimidated me into pushing myself beyond what I thought I was capable of; and the man who raped me at knifepoint, whom I then stayed with for another six years. They all helped shape me, and without those experiences I could not be the person I am today. I had to learn to "forgive" myself and then find it in my heart to "forgive" them and even bless the light in them, no matter how dim that light was. But thanking them would be going too far, and it would be inaccurate. In the end it was my inner sense of self, my willpower and determination, that got me through and helped me take those experiences and literally turn them into gold."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-louganis/the-toughest-sissy-in-the-world_b_1569369.html
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#423106 - 01/24/13 10:16 AM Re: inspiring article by Greg Louganis [Re: traveler]
tshodson Offline

It is inspiring. I missed it when it was originally published. It resonates with me this morning and I have shared it in several venues...Thank you for posting it...

#423132 - 01/24/13 05:43 PM Re: inspiring article by Greg Louganis [Re: traveler]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes, thank you.

I've thought about this concept before, the psychic alchemy of turning the effects of the abuse into something positive. So the way he put it: "tak[ing] those experiences and literally turn[ing] them into gold" -- really struck me.

It's a very difficult concept to keep alive when things aren't going well.

Is Louganis an inspiration that we can all strive for, or is he just one of the lucky ones?

Cant

#423175 - 01/25/13 12:43 AM Re: inspiring article by Greg Louganis [Re: traveler]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: where the shadows lie
We all have our own struggles, and its hard to call him "lucky," given how much he went through and how hard he worked to overcome it. But we don't all have the kind of talent that causes an otherwise uncaring world to notice us. But maybe that's not the important part. So I don't know.

I do know, Cant, I really like your term "psychic alchemy" to describe the moment when pain moves beyond simply torture (though it is still that too) and becomes something that makes you realize how strong you are. I'm a big fan of Full Metal Alchemist, and one of the things they say in those stories is "Human-kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost." It also reminds me of some of William Wordsworth's poetry, about how the pain of losing your youth is somewhat recompensed by your ability to understand yourself and the universe more fully. Ok, I am rambling. Anyway, you've given me something to think about.

#426043 - 02/21/13 02:01 PM Re: inspiring article by Greg Louganis [Re: traveler]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

well said--it reminds me of a quote "as I forgive myself, it becomes easier to forgive others."

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.