Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
1 registered (Bluedogone), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64153 Topics
447639 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#422720 - 01/20/13 12:24 PM Chatting is not enough (CT)
firedog Offline

Loc: Stratford, CT
Hi, im from southern connecticut, looking for help from real professionals for my ptsd. Everywhere i turn is a dead end. ASCA support group isn't enough. Everybody talks a big game, like the info on this website, but when you get down to it, and start looking for proactive assistance, i get no where.

#422723 - 01/20/13 01:20 PM Re: Chatting is not enough (CT) [Re: firedog]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Here is a list of therapist in your area for MSA

Hello firedog and welcome to MaleSurvivor.

Talk therapy is successfully productive in healing the trauma of the abuse. PTSD and cPTSD may be the result of our subconscious thoughts being fiercely controlled by our conscious, a situation that we are not prepared to sustain.

Recovery is not going to be directed fellow survivor. It will work it's way out as you calm yourself, learn healing techniques like breathing and visualization exercises and get the consistent support and training you need to feel confident in your ability to nurture and mature those damaged parts of your feelings and thoughts. While there is no time line per se, expect to be intensely occupied with recovery for the next 18 months, then however more you wish to seek a victorious life beyond that time.

I encourage you to understand recovery as a marathon, not a horse race. It is a process that involves determination, and you have all you need, along with allowing yourself to feel the fear and hurt of the abuse in a safe, supporting community. Chat is not enough I agree, but it is a large part of the process. You may feel like you are desperately clinging to a board in the ocean and those who could save you are hovering just out of reach. You desperately reach for them, but it may seem like they keep themselves away. It may feel like that fellow survivor, but in reality, the hyper vigilance you may feel is not immediate, but your mind is making you aware of that which was too difficult to process then. Be safe, find a calm way to slow down and prepare. The journey becomes more satisfying through the struggle.

Feel free to keep posting your every thought, PM me as you feel you need to, my best to you.

Sam

#422813 - 01/21/13 12:16 PM Re: Chatting is not enough (CT) [Re: SamV]
firedog Offline

Loc: Stratford, CT
Thanx Sam. Hopefully soon, as i familiarize myself with the site here, i'll figure out how to i.m. and such. I see a therapist that is on that list, unfortunately she's the only one around. i only get 12 meetings with her and they are almost done. And... she really doesn't help me. i talk to her for an hour about things but with no result. Although i don't know what kind of results i am expecting. Kinda looking for people in my area on here that may be in the same conundrum.

#423443 - 01/28/13 09:15 AM Re: Chatting is not enough (CT) [Re: firedog]
blacken Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern Ohio
firedog.
12 sessions of therapy from the most compatably therapist for you, would not be enough to do much more than Crisis Intervention, teach a couple coping skills (maybe) & help you find an ongoing therapist for a long term commitment, like 1-3 yrs.
These "12 sessions" are common as assesment & stabilization or short term "fix".
As for chat, it is Not therapy & should not be used insted of it. Yet it can help u feel less alone in ur struggles. It is a good place to vent with others. who likely can understand you struggles better than "anyone on the outside".
Posting ur thoughts & feelings & current issues, like you did above is important to.
Keep working towards what you need.
~Paul aka blacken

#424565 - 02/07/13 01:43 AM Re: Chatting is not enough (CT) [Re: firedog]
Sterling Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada
...Firedog .. i see that the last written here was a week ago;

I went thru 5 therapists till i hit the jackpot! But even
my current T had to point out to take my self serious or and
that if i didnt that he would not continue therapy with me.

Have you considered going to a workshop?
Mike Lew ; author of Victim No Longer- i think he practises in
the New England area, trying getting a hold of him, maybe he can
help you out in suggesting other resources.
How about Boston, even New York? , they must have a few places
to go and be with other survivors.
I was so scared of trustig my current T , i asked for credentials, and i was pleased with the one woman i spoke to.
My T lives in Toronto ( largest city in Canada - not necessarily
the most affordable) and i live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. We
conduct therapy over the phone.
I would go to a drop-in boxing gym just to use their punching
bags to get my anger out.
My T introduced me whacking my pillows w/ a plastic bat.
Also ... wearing a gas mask and increasing the volume on my
radio - so it would be difficult for others in my apartment
block to hear me ; shouting anything out ( for ex: i will kill
you blah, blah,blah) !
I have been in therapy with this current therapist for 12 years.
He saved my life, to say the least!
So there are ways. You can do this! It will take some asking
around... this is if you haven't found a T already or some
resources.
Hopefully this didnt put you to sleep , and may have been of some
assistance.
xo
Goran

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.