Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63546 Topics
443993 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#422333 - 01/17/13 01:49 AM Finally Some Encouraging News
Jude Offline

Loc: New England

#422381 - 01/17/13 01:25 PM Re: Finally Some Encouraging News [Re: Jude]
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
Jude encouraging news?

“One survey in the UNH report did not find a significant decline: The National Survey of Adolescents, in two studies 10 years apart, reported what UNH researchers described as a ‘‘non-significant decline’’ in sexual assault for girls, from 13.2 percent in 1995 to 11.5 percent in 2005, and a ‘‘non-significant rise for boys’’ from 3.5 percent to 3.8 percent.”

The boys number represents about 50,000 whereas the girls number represents over a quarter of a million, hasn’t that demographic population wise gone up over that time period; makes me wonder as to the validity of the study, heck even publishing the data seems suspect; less than 2% is considered not “statistically significant”. What if your one of these young people, how do you feel being not being “statistically significant”? Aren’t these numbers just a little off? Shouldn’t it be closer to 25/15%, or has this “don’t ask don’t tell” philosophy really corrupted our youth that badly? The study was a phone interview of the parents with a follow-up with the adolescences, honesty? I get that if the methodology stayed the same its valid but it just seems so wrong, 3.8% that’s only a million boys, our population is over 315 million, just seems like a really low number, add to that it seems like it’s something that was bought and paid for by DoJ; “violent crime all time low”; isn’t that what happens when you lock up the poor for being poor? Fuck the 13th amendment, slavery is still legal here, largest prison population in the world, larger the China’s; just seems part of an agenda.

Link to the 95 study: http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/studies/02833

Sorry 50,000 potential more MS members is not encouraging and is not; not “statistically significant”, sorry about the double negative.

Cee

T. Paine

#422458 - 01/17/13 09:31 PM Re: Finally Some Encouraging News [Re: Jude]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
yeah, Cee. the same thing occurred to me.
on the surface it looks like good news. but - if the one dissenting survey is accurate - it is anything but good news - because it means that the truth is somehow either being missed or hidden or getting lost somewhere.
and the one survey that showed little to no change was the one where they were apparently asking the kids directly. that seems pretty significant to me. forget what the number-crunchers say - LISTEN TO THE VICTIMS! i wouldn't want to be considered an insignificant fraction of a decimal percentage point!

Lee

Edited by traveler (01/17/13 11:33 PM)
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#422509 - 01/18/13 10:11 AM Re: Finally Some Encouraging News [Re: Jude]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
You have to wonder how many adolescents were too ashamed to truthfully answer "yes" to the questions about sexual victimization. If they'd asked me when I was a teen, I would have said "No," because that's what I told myself until I was 42 years old.

John

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.