Newest Members
stillhere35, RKS, Albertus, Judd, LMG
12555 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
2dayistheday (34), 4LaurenAline2 (48), akn (61), barrington (65), Gideonfl (52), James Michael (57), Obi (44), tu (46), Vedder32 (34), yoga_mom (46)
Who's Online
2 registered (Still, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12555 Members
73 Forums
64439 Topics
450100 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#422326 - 01/17/13 12:15 AM Re: Self-Care [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
sallyjoseph Offline

Great post really interesting.
thanks Ken Mike13

#423829 - 01/31/13 03:02 AM Re: Self-Care [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Andreu Offline

Its really a nice post and very informative. Self care is important and everyone should read this post. Thanks for this sharing.

#470121 - 09/16/14 06:12 PM Re: Self-Care [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
lostc Offline

I was pointed to this recently which I also found very similar and helpful: https://rainn.org/get-information/sexual-assault-recovery/self-care-for-survivors

#474700 - 01/08/15 12:22 PM Re: Self-Care [Re: lostc]
TheGreatWhat Offline

"Be wary of: friends or family who only call when they need something."

That is taken from the article found at the above rainn.org link.

I think I may be exhibiting this type of behavior. So, when is the "right" time to reach out in a moment of need, if this feels like something that is a borderline pervasive quality and not just an occasional occurrence? I know that this has not always been the case, even after the abuse, because I can remember a time in my life when I sought out the company of good friends just for the sake of having fun. But lately, and I mean in the last few years or so, most of the interactions that I seek out seem to have "let's talk about my/our problems" somewhere in there. And I'm aware that that motivation is present; it's not like it only hits me after the fact. Honestly, I understand it as a healthy thing - expressing oneself. It just so happens that what I have felt mostly for a long time are feelings of loneliness, patheticness, and fear. I do have days or periods of "clarity" during which I seem to have access to an objectivity that eludes me when I am down. (Just trying to present an accurate representation as best I can in this moment.)

In addition, the reasons or rationals I mostly find myself agreeing with regarding my only calling/seeking out someone when I need something, is I don't want to be a burden to others or nurture what I feel to be a disposition towards co-dependency in myself.

I'm not sure if this needs to be wrapped up with a summarizing question, but I seem to have lost my train of thought, so I'll just stop there.

- TheGreatWhat

#474739 - 01/08/15 11:17 PM Re: Self-Care [Re: TheGreatWhat]
Still Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Originally Posted By: TheGreatWhat
I can remember a time in my life when I sought out the company of good friends just for the sake of having fun. But lately, and I mean in the last few years or so, most of the interactions that I seek out seem to have "let's talk about my/our problems" somewhere in there. And I'm aware that that motivation is present; it's not like it only hits me after the fact.

I realize this very thing too. I attribute it to being jaded and having given up on the value of these relationships and interactions. But I'm right there with you on this.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.