Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63788 Topics
445449 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#422241 - 01/16/13 01:06 PM So hard not to get worked up over petty words
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: one foot out the door
so mad I can't even articulate it.

I had an argument with someone and I was in the wrong and I admitted that and what makes me so upset is not that I was wrong but the assumptions the other person made about why I said what I said. I thought someone said that aspergers was the worst thing that could happen to a kid. I responded that was a pretty dumb thing to say. I used harsher language than that because I get upset when kids who have the chic disorders get all the attention and sympathy but kids who have other troubles are ignored by the public. He came back at me and I realized I had misunderstood him, he was actually saying that things used to be worse for autistic kids than they are now.

Anyway, I was wrong for my misinterpretation and the way I expressed myself and I apologized for both things but then he starts going off on me for being unsympathetic and he keeps saying that I have no idea how hard life is for some kids and that my narrow view of life is really shallow and that I need to realize not all kids had it as good as I did (!??!?!?!?!).

The dude knows nothing about me and its not even worth it to keep talking about it with him. Because the only place to go is to tell him how wrong he is and I'm NOT going to use my past to score debate points. But I'm just so angry that he could assume such things about me. I was far from perfect in the situation but as soon as he started feeling like he was winning the argument he just started piling on.

Ok, thanks for reading. So angry I'm shaking.

Edited by Jacob S (01/16/13 01:07 PM)

#422312 - 01/16/13 10:31 PM Re: So hard not to get worked up over petty words [Re: Jacob S]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Hey Jacob,

I think this is just one of those things you have to let go of. The guy's not going to listen even if you go back and try to talk to him. Sleep on it and let it go.

Jude
I get a little bit closer to feeling fine.
Sheryl Crow

#422319 - 01/16/13 11:06 PM Re: So hard not to get worked up over petty words [Re: Jacob S]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: one foot out the door
Yes, you are right. I feel a lot better about it now, just needed to vent. Thanks for reading and responding, sometimes I feel like posts on the internet drift off into a forgotten void.

#422336 - 01/17/13 03:05 AM Re: So hard not to get worked up over petty words [Re: Jacob S]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Such situation could be triggering for me. I hate when people to whom I talk "not seeing" and don't understand me.
And especially if someone is so pushy I could become angry like hell.
Many times in such situations I'm pulling myself out. I've learned since childhood that talks with insensitive people are not always fruitful.

Good that you arr feeling better!
Keep sharing with us!

Pero

#422438 - 01/17/13 07:36 PM Re: So hard not to get worked up over petty words [Re: Jacob S]
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
Man I have heard the same thing with different subjects. In school several women in our seminar course announced that we males had no idea what it was like, sexual harassment, and I had to hold my tongue cause I was not ready yet to talk about CSA, and certainly not in a hostile environment like that. It was like they were saying the same thing that dude said to you...that not every kid has it as good as we did. If they only knew that at home I got beaten and verbally trashed, and that made it easy for the predators to find me. I know it's not exactly what you are talking about, but it's all about the assumptions people make about others. We survivors know a lot about how hard life is for some kids, cause we lived it in the shadows. They are the ones who don't get it. Sorry you had to endure that.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.