Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
1 registered (Logan), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446694 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#421385 - 01/07/13 10:30 AM When we get depressed
sugarbaby Offline

I am sinking into the dark abyss of depression. My grandmother called it the 'winter doldrums'. I've been here before so I see it. I don't know what H is seeing since he is not saying anything but I am also not real interested in bringing it up with him for fear of ......I don't know....fear of lack of support, H emotionally running away, the blame game, I don't know.

How do we all handle this?

Edited by sugarbaby (01/07/13 11:28 AM)

#421392 - 01/07/13 12:29 PM Re: When we get depressed [Re: sugarbaby]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
In the winter I take vitamin D. It's supposed to help. (I don't really know) A woman I work with says she can notice the change in her when the days get short and then she does the Vitamin D thing. She says it helps her.

http://www.momswhothink.com/diet-and-nutrition/vitamin-d-deficiency-and-moods.html

I can't say I notice much difference though. Maybe because I take it when my sunshine exposure becomes less. During the spring to fall I ride my bike to work and have a lot of skin exposed so my body can generate vitimin D naturally.

http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health/Nutrition-A-Z/Vitamin-D.aspx

I don't drink milk so that is one major source of vitamin D I don't have. Vitamin D is cheap

YMMV

#421429 - 01/07/13 10:33 PM Re: When we get depressed [Re: Candu]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I agree that taking vitamins can be helpful.

However, it depends on which vitamin your body is short of.

Many survivors become short in vitamin B complex. When I was going through beginning therapy I became vitamin B deficient. I would guess it's because the brain is actually undergoing a transformation in the process of healing. Vitamin B helps growth and maintenance of nerve cells. I take a vitamin B supplement which dissolves in my mouth. Some people say that kind is best.

When I was in the health food store, I was given a sample of vitamin B to chew on. I thought, "Well sure". But I was surprised. By the time I got in my car to drive away I felt distinctly better. Next day I went back in and bought a whole bottle.

I also take a bunch of other vitamins and some nutrient supplements.

Puffer

#421485 - 01/08/13 09:21 AM Re: When we get depressed [Re: sugarbaby]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
For me the best way to overcome depression is to go out and treat myself to something I enjoy, So think about a spa treatment, a massage, Yoga, a run, a bicycle ride, Oh yeah its winter over there, sorry.

Think about it, for me its the movies, I love going alone and escaping from the mean world.
Vitamins are important, but try to clear your head and get some perspective on life.
I always encourage my guys to have a list of good things to do, so when things get tough they can pull out the list and pick one, try it.

Hope this helps
Martin

#421492 - 01/08/13 09:54 AM Re: When we get depressed [Re: sugarbaby]
sugarbaby Offline

I went out and did some things yesterday so it spruced up my mood. smile

#421512 - 01/08/13 12:31 PM Re: When we get depressed [Re: sugarbaby]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
I have a lot of plants in my office(18). And 12 in a common area. A number of Christmass/holiday cactus that bloom twice in the winter. It helps me.

You have to do things to keep your mood up. Vitamins (I'll have to check into the B complex) as an addition is OK but it is best if you had a good diet. (I'm working on it)

#421520 - 01/08/13 01:51 PM Re: When we get depressed [Re: sugarbaby]
HD001 Offline

Loc: us
I recently got on the same anitdepressant I was on as a teen. Everyone is different but for me wellbutrin has been a life saver. I have energy to do the things I love again. I think that diet exercise and vitamins are paramount to health. But for me they weren't enough at this time. I finally swallowed my pride and said yeah I need serious help. In turn my marriage is improving as well. I'm not so preoccupied with H and his recovery. I'm more able to focus on me. Finally!

#421601 - 01/08/13 11:10 PM Re: When we get depressed [Re: HD001]
Thulas Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
For me diet and my four kilometre walk per day works wonders. I have been out of anti depressants for five months now and I dont feel the need to take any.

Surround yourself only with people who are going to lift you higher.

#421817 - 01/10/13 11:02 PM Re: When we get depressed [Re: sugarbaby]
karin4him Offline

Loc: Illinois
I think it is important for all of us to have an activity or something that we're into that is just ours, all ours and it needs to be something you enjoy. We sometimes get too engrossed in supporting the survivor that we can lose ourselves, which can bring you down. This is an area that I'm working on, although, I have to admit it is hard and I still tend to yield to his needs first.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.