Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
7 registered (Obi, Greg56, Tiger1982, 4 invisible), 16 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446700 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#420647 - 01/01/13 09:12 PM Mortality
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Dear Brothers in Recovery,

On Friday night I was rushed to the emergency room, unable to walk or move, barely able to talk. Everything was spinning madly. Everything was a blur. I was vomiting continuously. I thought I was having a stroke. My sons carried me to the car, and my wife drove me to the hospital

It turned out to be an attack of Vertigo, a displacement of fluid in the inner ear that controls balance. It wasn't like a little dizziness. It was a feeling like falling through space, everything spinning ferociously, and never hitting bottom. Totally out of control, and not able to do anything about it.

They gave me a drug that slowed things down a bit, so I could stop puking and could actually talk to the doctor. They sent me home after 4-5 hours with instructions to keep taking the drug, and rest. No choice there as I still couldn't walk.

I gradually regained my faculties and today (Tuesday) was the first day since Friday that I've been able to function normally. There is no way of telling if it will happen again, or when, so from this point forward I live with the prospect of losing control of myself without warning. Under the wrong circumstances, like say driving a car, it could be fatal. I'm still processing how this will change my life.

The initial lesson I've learned from this experience is that this life can be taken from us, or radically changed, in an instant, without notice, without preparation. None of us knows how much time we have left. This makes it all the more urgent to get past the pain and dysfunction we've experienced as boys, enough to live our lives loving others and ourselves. Its time to get to work guys. I can do this. You all can. I have faith in you.

Jude
That's why I'm telling you
I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
Rare Earth

#420649 - 01/01/13 10:08 PM Re: Mortality [Re: Jude]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
(((Jude)))

I am so sorry you had to endure such a frightening ordeal. I myself had one round of clinically urgent vertigo - several years back - and when lying in bed thought my building was being demolished by an earthquake. It is terrifying to see how tiny changes in brain signals can make life effectively unlivable. At least your family was there for you.

I'm sending every wish that this was a one-time nasty spell and that you will be physically capable of returning to normal life. Emotionally will be different - as you said, you will second-guess any remotely dangerous or effortful movements for some time to come.

Be strong - the world can't finish you off that easy.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#420655 - 01/01/13 11:14 PM Re: Mortality [Re: Jude]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Jude,

So sorry to hear that. Count me in as well as one who had a severe episode of vertigo. About four years ago, I woke up, got out of bed and fell down because the whole room was spinning. My ENT saw me that morning. He diagnosed me with Benign Paroxsysmal Positional Vertigo. It is caused by displaced calcium crystals in the inner ear. Antivert helped...until it went away on its own...through I can have flare ups.

Also,
When I was 28, I woke up one morning to find I had lost hearing in one ear. A google search narrowed it down to a brain tumor or ... not much else. My ENT started me on an antiviral, high dose prednisone, and a diuretic..in case of a virus attacking the auditory nerve....or an autoimmune disorder doing the same thing....and an MRI to rule out a tumor.
The MRI was clear...and I regained hearing, despite a 50/50 prognosis. I went through quite a few thoughts on life....things were put into perspective.

I hope you experience a rapid recovery! Hang in there !

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#420659 - 01/02/13 12:30 AM Re: Mortality [Re: Jude]
men_of_hrts.dbw Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Orchidland Big Island Hawaii
Jude,
Interesting to read, yet sorry you have stared mortality in the face. I too think about it as the heart palipations get strong and bp goes up.
When I was a kid, five years old I had a depressed skull fracture 12 o'clock high dead center on top of my head. I remember it like it was yesterday..in and out of consciousness for a week. Then a damn big water evaporator air conditioner fell on my left temporal section and I ended up deaf in that ear. No loss of mental inteligence or behavioral problems but I did have terrible vertigo for years up till nine/ten years old.
I remember waking my Dad and trying to explain how I felt. It was like spinning down and like my whole body felt just that same feeling when your leg "falls asleep" and tingles like mad...both at once.
I can still see his reaction..like why arn't you like the other kids and crawl in bed with them..I knew I was on my own.
I used to spin out and I just layed there. It only happened while I was laying down.
My parents knew but never can I remember telling a doctor untill 2007 after disclosure the professionals discovered the injury and explained the vertigo was from the brain healing.
I never had a problem except the deaf ear and vertigo.

Anyway, hope it clears up. I also have a parotid gland that gave me problems and now I use acupressure to release fluids. Might be that.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parotid_gland
"What Say the Brethren"
"Hang the Bastards"

#420660 - 01/02/13 12:48 AM Re: Mortality [Re: Jude]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Jude

That was a nasty way to see the new year in.

I have never had vertigo - but have had friends who have. Scary stuff. The human body is a delicate thing - it doesn't take much to upset the 'balance'.

Glad your family was there. And I will be praying also that it is a one time deal and that the effects are not long lasting.

As for the leason learned. It is a good kick up the pants for us all....... life is too short to waste any more time dealing with the stuff that happened to us than we have to.

Heal well - inside and out.

Lee

#420663 - 01/02/13 01:33 AM . [Re: Jude]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 09:15 PM)

#420718 - 01/02/13 05:17 PM Re: Mortality [Re: Jude]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Hey Guys,

I'm back to normal and was cleared by the doctor today to go back to work. I hope no one interpreted my saying:
Originally Posted By: Jude
This makes it all the more urgent to get past the pain and dysfunction we've experienced as boys, enough to live our lives loving others and ourselves. Its time to get to work guys.
as meaning that recovery has to be done on some timetable. I just meant that we never know how much more time we have, so make recovery Priority One, so that however long you have on this planet will be lived to the maximum.

No Its wasn't a somatoform disorder. Nor was it Miniere's disease. As Suwannee said, it was.... "Benign Paroxsysmal Positional Vertigo. It is caused by displaced calcium crystals in the inner ear."

Thanks for all your good wishes guys. The one good thing about it was that my wife was nice to me for three whole days!!!

Jude
That's why I'm telling you
I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
Rare Earth

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.