Newest Members
J44, Anura, reynel5, smc1972, Moi
12418 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
camdon (30), camdon greenwood (30), Denise (72), getteddie (66), morgoth (24), Ric (66)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12418 Members
74 Forums
63764 Topics
445305 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#420609 - 01/01/13 02:44 PM Re: Emotional retard needs help [Re: whome]
aksnowyowl Offline

martin, you have posted on my threads before and it has ALWAYS helped. those posts are emotional, which to me says that you are capable of being quite emotional within comfortable contexts. close relationships aren't quite there yet.

first off, i don't know about the rest of the populace, but what you say about feeling on the outside, by not understanding the inner lives of your wife and daughter, feeling like you don't connect....it's not unusual. i go to step 12 meetings and i hear it constantly. everyone in there feels that way. then we embarked on addictions because it helped us ignore that feeling.

i've approached my own struggle with those feelings from this perspective "i want to know how to really live and to really live i need to learn from a community." i spent a lot of years trying to simply survive.

now in recovery, i want quality of life. that's a big leap. not an easy one.

i'm glad you found gottman. we have the collected works of:)

my husband and i are just starting to come out of a difficult time. for us, it's a matter of being reminded of things we already know, tools we already have. we both chronically forget.

i worked with children on the autism spectrum disorder for a long time and i don't want to be insulting, but that background helps with my husband. my husband isn't autistic, but the legacy of prolonged trauma has left this trail of disorders that resemble learning disorders, attention disorders, autism spectrum disorders....luckily my husband can joke about it and luckily, i have experience.

so! where i'm going with this is that i no longer ASSUME that my husband knows much about "living indoors with people." he tells me was essentially raised by wolves and while it seems extreme, it's a good starting point.

i have to lay out what i want ALL THE TIME: this is what i want my birthday to look like, this is what i want christmas to be like, this is what i want the weekend to look like, this is how i like being touched, this is how we do the dishes, this is how we discipline the kids, this is how i want a date to go.

then i say "your turn, tell me what you want it all to look like."

then we have to let go of those expectations and try and meet in the middle.

mostly, it goes astray:)

but when i'm at my best and he's at his best, we have resilience for trying over and over again. we can laugh and go "well, that didn't go like either of us wanted." we can laugh when we don't get what we want.

at our worst, we act like children who also don't get what they want. we throw tantrums, in different more adult ways.

our counselor has mandated very specific guidelines for living indoors together. we have to touch each other for 15 minutes a day. we have to ask each other specific questions about the day and our thoughts and our worries.

honestly, i get sick of it. i forget how long i spent in survival mode. i forget that while i know how to do dishes and raise children, i don't have instincts for trusting other people.

when i don't take care of myself, i get sick of having to lay it all out. at my worst, i get mad at him for not having these tools, for not having taught himself much earlier in his life. at my worst, i'll think that he is being this way on purpose, that he is self-centered. at my worst, i'll resent him for creating "all this emotional work" for me.

i'm deeply flawed. and as it is with life, if i don't own up to these flaws myself and apologize to him, a situation will arise that will completely level my pride in front of him.

so martin, that's how it is from my perspective. i don't know if it will help you any. but to me, it seems like you are on a good path. it seems like you love your wife and daughter. it seems like you want recovery and relationships. it's a good place to be in: leveled and humbled, wanting more, and pursuing it, even if it feels painful and full of fumbling.

a lady in my AA group calls these situations "another fucking growth opportunity." hilarious!

#420620 - 01/01/13 04:44 PM Re: Emotional retard needs help [Re: whome]
sugarbaby Offline

Martin - It is funny how things work. I haven't logged on here in a long time and I did today EXACTLY because I wanted to vent about what your wife is probably upset with AKA (as you call it) my H being an "emotional retard". I call it "playing the victim" H pushed people away and then feels THEY slighted him when they are no longer available to him.

Your post is so far the only one I read and I found the words I need.

"As for relating to your wife and daughter, do you ask them questions about their lives, their hopes, their thoughts and opinions? Do you spend quiet time with them just being and enjoying their company? Do you go out and do fun things together and laugh together? These are things that make us feel wanted and valued as human beings and individuals. There is no time limit on when you can start to do them."

That is exactly it. That is what I need so perhaps that is what your wife needs. For me, without it, it leaved a horrible hollow feeling inside me and H doesn't want to hear it.

Think about those words, try them, see what happens. I am going to post some variation of that on my frig.

#420669 - 01/02/13 03:37 AM Re: Emotional retard needs help [Re: whome]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Hi Lucy, Snowy and Sugar.

Thanks guys for your words. I have taken a lot of it to heart, and yes naturally I do fall short grossly short in many areas. I feel like I am drowning, there is no respite to the anguish in my life, I feel like I am always fighting, I struggle at work, I struggle with clients, I struggle at home.

I am just so damn tierd. I need a break from all the anger, I need somewhere that I can just switch off and say, no one is going to scream at me now for the next 6 hours I know I have peace.

I so long for peace. Please I just want peace.

For the first time in 20 years I am actually thinking about ending it all. I have not had these thoughts for 25 years. I wont do it, dont worry, but the fact that I am thinking these things bugs the dung out of me.

Al that I wanted to do was fix my marriage and take care of her to try and make up for some of the pain that I caused her.

Thanks all.

Martin

#420687 - 01/02/13 10:07 AM Re: Emotional retard needs help [Re: whome]
sugarbaby Offline

It seems to me that you are half way to your goals Whome. Your identifying problems. You know what you need to do. You just need to figure out the steps to doing it. Think in mini steps and make habits of the stuff that works.

#420691 - 01/02/13 10:30 AM Re: Emotional retard needs help [Re: whome]
CdnDW Offline

Martin, you have always been a beacon of hope, so reading your last post concerns me deeply. Take the time you need... everyone deserves a break. But use the break to re-energize. Know that we are not entirely shaped by CSA and sometimes other factors impact our relationships. Maybe there is more impacting your wife's state. Don't assume anything. Ask, ask, ask. There is nothing more important to me than to have my husband ask questions and listen, really, really listen to the answers instead of assuming the cause and trying to fix it. That just leaves me feeling more misunderstood, more emotionally isolated. Remember also that this is a journey we are on and nothing but our final breath on earth is final. Things may seem terrible with your wife and daughter, but what never changes is the fact that everything changes. Be patient with yourself and your life.

Also Whome, I have found myself at times spending too much time in the safety of this forum and helping others in the past to the degree that I realized it was becoming a way to avoid my own reality. Take care this does not happen with you. Your support here is appreciated by so many, but all will understand if you post less in favour of spending more time on the relationships with those that really matter to you.

Nothing more insightful or specific I'm afraid... but at the end of the day, we all just seek hope I think. We must (will) stumble through the details on our own, but here I hope you can find hope to go on with strength and optimism.

Be well Martin.

#420791 - 01/03/13 07:03 AM Re: Emotional retard needs help [Re: CdnDW]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my fraternal brothers,

New Year in healing greetings temporarily from Germany.

I'm not one to offer advice on how to relate to a wife or to any other female for that matter.
I had known nothing but hate & fear from a female, just one damn female in my life and I had condemened all of them in hate & fear. That female was my 'mom.'
Being born gay, most likely didn't help either.

But, after about 70 years of my life and I was involved with a 12 week PTSD sexual abuse group. The T had decided to challange me on my life long hate & fear of (all) females. He asked me Pete you are telling me that there was no female in your youth that might have tried to love & comfort you? No one? Here is what I want you to do when you leave here and between now & next session i want you to ge deep inside of yourself in a healthy way and think about my question.Make a list of any female that you remember fondly during those trying times. OK, sure did and lo & behold there were about eight. I wrote them down. Next session he confronts me on my assignment, infront ofthe group. What have you come up with?
Here is your list. Well Pete, you have told me that you hated and feared all females, and here you are giving me a list of females whom had shown you some sort of love & care. So, Pete how can you say tht you hated and feared all females, when here is a list of eight that you did remember and you did not hate, or did you? No sir.
Well Pete, how about you try and rewire your emotions & feelings about your hate & fear and accept the new meanings that you didn't trust all females? You only hated one and wished that she was dead. One, Pete of all the females that have come accross your path in your life, including your (seperated) wife of 36 years.
I have spent a week here with my seperated wife, trying to get her to understand that I never had made any kind of an emotional and mental bonding with a female in my life.
I never knew how to love & bond with a female, but, I knew and had bonded emotionally & mentally with males.
Yes, Helene,I did ruin your life, for that i'm truly sorry. I didn't know how to love you, but I had always cared for you.
I'lladmit that you gave me 100% plus of yourself, but this gay boy/man never could give you any in return.

So, my brother, you seem to want and try to keep your wife & family. Trying to re wire our emotions mentally and re learn how to care for and appreciate the females that we had come in contact with.

I have tried my level best to try and get my wife to understand on how she got involved with a closeted gay boy/man, and is now paying the price of loving him.

Perhaps a 12 week PTSD group therapy might help you. I'm sure that those other books are of a help and naturally a competent T will be of a help.

My, brother I offer you my compassion, understanding & hope
in trying to save your family life. Wishing& hoping that your wife will try and lead you along.

Hope this is of help for you. You are not alone in being an emotional retard.

'I will take that lost boys hand, and I will lead him from the depths of darkness, into the sunshine, forever into eternity.' As he is me.

Pete..Irishmoose.
May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.