Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
2 registered (Obi, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443082 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#420119 - 12/26/12 12:18 AM 1200 New Boy Scout Files fr LA Times
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Caveat: you'll have to open it with Firefox or Chrome:

http://spreadsheets.latimes.com/boyscouts-cases/

#420146 - 12/26/12 10:34 AM Re: 1200 New Boy Scout Files fr LA Times [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
I wonder what should be penalty for covering such scale of abuse and how many victims could be saved if people were protecting children instead of covering perps frown

#420174 - 12/26/12 03:32 PM Re: 1200 New Boy Scout Files fr LA Times [Re: Lancer]
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
Thanks for sharing this Lancer. We posted this to the MS FB page earlier. I believe it is also vital for people to be mindful that looking through this information can be destabilizing for some people. For example, I discovered the name of someone affiliated with the troop I was a member of as a child in the files. This was not the man who abused me (to the best of my recollection), but simply knowing that I was surrounded by pederasts at that time is itself hard for me to make sense of.

This is the information I posted when I shared the link on the FB page. I think it's also good to share in this thread.

*TRIGGER WARNING*

The following link (and image) is from the LA Times created database of allegations of abuse and the records of the recently released Ineligible Volunteer files. The image itself is a stark vision of how great the threat to boys and young men was.

We strongly support transparency and openness, as abuse thrives on secrecy and silence. However it is vital that survivors themselves understand that the information contained in these files can be triggering, emotionally powerful, and may bring memories back to the surface.

Survivors need to be aware that searching through these files can raise many complex emotions and reactions. MaleSurvivor strongly recommends that people reach out to their therapists for support before doing any in depth review of this information.

#420197 - 12/26/12 10:22 PM Re: 1200 New Boy Scout Files fr LA Times [Re: peroperic2009]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: peroperic2009
I wonder what should be penalty for covering such scale of abuse and how many victims could be saved if people were protecting children instead of covering perps frown

Any penalties levied in this case should properly be leveled against the legal profession as a whole (and I do mean every member of the Bar during the period) especially the judiciary. During this time period, the existence of such a "Hearsay" list of unproven charges likely put the Boy scouts at great risk legally- should news of its existence been leaked out and anyone who could not be proven a perp in a court of law sued the Boy Scouts.

The law was definitely on the side of predators, and it is easy at this point to forget just how great the strides are that have been made to protect children in the last twenty years.

I remember when the Vampire Theory was pretty much accepted as fact, and when most allegations against adult perps were presumed by the public to be spurious even if a conviction were obtained. Those last things have not entirely faded away, but they have become less ubiquitous than before.

It is sad that the Boy Scouts did not do more. Certainly in my local troop some of the larger boys preyed upon many of us smaller ones when opportunity arose (not me personally - but some of the johns I had later).

It is only fair to point out however, that the steps they took put them in jeopards at the time they took them. Look at the schools for an example of what was done (or rather NOT DONE)in nearly every other venue.

Edited by MrEdd (12/26/12 10:24 PM)
Edit Reason: PTSD Spelling

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.