Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
6 registered (Obi, Tiger1982, 4 invisible), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63648 Topics
444523 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#407528 - 08/22/12 08:17 AM Summer camp, "sleep away" camp
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
What a terrible idea, period.

Here is a reply on another board I am a member on concerning summer camps and healthy perspectives. Some circumstances can allow for healthy camp environments, but overall, a bad idea.

Quote:
This is a twofold reply.

I need to support this article in that as a parent I had been overzealous in projecting my fears onto my children. They still managed to find relationships, cars, hobbies and the mall, and they have not been hurt.., too much.

However, with statistics such as 1 in 4 and 1 in 6, how can we seriously consider unsupervised "sleep away camps"? These are, in this parent's opinion, an unacceptable risks. Unless we are the chaperon and have great communication with our children, these activities serve to add almost 17% to 25% more access from perpetrators and predators to our precious children. Why do people from these positions keep getting arrested for heinous acts to children? Does the name Sandusky ring any bells!?!!

Would anyone want to raise their income taxes 25%? How about a 25% raise in the grocery bill? At $3.80 a gallon for gas, a 25% hike would be an additional $0.95 or $4.75 per gallon. We are talking about a one or two time item in the course of one's life, so how about a home purchase? The average median home sale price for the US in June 2012 was $273,900.00. The risk we take when sending our children to camp for a night, a week or a summer would be like agreeing on that price and then the home owner raising the price after we had secured the payment to a whopping $342,375.00! And we HAD to purchase the home.

Please carefully consider the risks versus the facts.

#407550 - 08/22/12 12:44 PM Re: Summer camp, "sleep away" camp [Re: SamV]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
Great points
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#407559 - 08/22/12 01:55 PM Re: Summer camp, "sleep away" camp [Re: Country]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
...The problems at the summer camp I attended was that all of our needs were provided for except responsible management. Apparently that was too expensive. The manager of the camp I attended when I was 12 was felonious.

#419135 - 12/14/12 02:38 PM Re: Summer camp, "sleep away" camp [Re: SamV]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Believe me, I understand.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#419364 - 12/17/12 09:52 AM Re: Summer camp, "sleep away" camp [Re: SamV]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
My son's Cub Scout campouts (overnights at county parks) were conducted as family events--parents, siblings, Scouts... quite a zoo, but every kid had an accompanying adult.

That may have been heavy-handed security, but nobody had to worry.

John

#419738 - 12/21/12 08:29 AM Re: Summer camp, "sleep away" camp [Re: SamV]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
My mom was worried about my 9yo nephew going to sleepaway; after I disclosed she is now terrified. He is an awkward and emotionally volatile kid who does not fit in well. I could see him being very vulnerable.

So I told mom that I'd recommend 2 precautions before really any kid goes:

1. A for-real, at least 6th grade level discussion of what a person can do that is not allowed. Kids can be very literal-minded and will miss implied points easily. Yes it will scare them but when you think about it, "stop drop and roll - if you are on fire and burning to death" is scary too. When I was a tour guide I gave bear attack survival tips and there would be kids there. Better to cry over a shrinks desk than a grave.

2. My-Mom-Died. If anything anything ever does happen, they dont have to report it there, they have to get out. Even if they are cross country they have to get out immediately. SO: at first possible chance go to the camp directors office or nurses office and say "I snuck offsite last night and met some campers, I'm sorry, but they let me use their cell phone and My-Mom-Died! Boo hoo My-Mom-Died! Please let me call home!" No one can refuse that and they spend all day in a multi-user building while they call home, give the My-Mom-Died password, and wait to be rescued. And the parents put a $1,200 same-day plane ticket on the credit card and worry about more important things than money.

Of course this is like telling someone in advance when the grizzly bear attacks you you play dead, and if it tries to roll you over you keep rolling and stay right back on your belly. In the heat of the moment would the plan be remembered? Who knows but its better than nothing.

Awkward moment: my mom wants *me* to give the pre-camp warning talk to the kid and not his dad.... who is an emotionally unbalanced and disengaged asshole. But it still feels like not my place. We'll see what happens next summer.

Edited by SoccerStar (12/21/12 08:33 AM)

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.