Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
7 registered (Andreas, Jay1946, pete1973, Steve J, Austintexan, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63126 Topics
441435 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#419603 - 12/19/12 10:53 PM Full Disclosure
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
This week, several MS posters have mentioned conflict with their spouses over CSA and how it is handled. I've had several private conversations with folks I have have developed a rapport with on MS. This is good, because I too had a rough discussion with my wife over the weekend. She told me I need to let bygones be bygones and stop worrying about what happened 25 years ago. We all know that is hurtful and not helpful in ther least.

I mentioned privately to someone on here that to be fair, my wife thinks I was "only" fondled at camp. The truth is, I was fondled and I was sodomized. She doesn't know the last part. I've hinted at it, but stopped short. The good advice I received mirrored what I realize deep down----that I need to fully disclose to her what happened to be able to fully heal. I'm seeing my T tomorrow and will discuss this there.

So in full disclosure, I may send up a trial balloon here about camp before fine tuning it and talking to my wife about it. Just when the pavement smooths out, another bump in the road appears. Thanks for everything. You all are a HUGE source of support.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#419607 - 12/19/12 11:06 PM Re: Full Disclosure [Re: Suwanee]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
Will -

i am sure you must have thought of this - but just to remind you - disclosures often bring unexpected backlashes. i have extremely mixed feelings about this - a longing to be totally open, honest and transparent and be known fully inside and out - versus a fear and reluctance to be exposed, ashamed and possibly thought of as less worthy and acceptable. i am still not sure which need will win - the need for safety and self-censorship or the need for total truth and intimacy.

i hope to see more discussion - i could use the input, too!

Lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#419611 - 12/19/12 11:47 PM Re: Full Disclosure [Re: Suwanee]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Hi Will

I told my wife all, and I am trying to be a good husband. Your wife tells you to let bygones be bygones, but if she is anything like mine then she will drag up your past and hurl it in your face at every opportunity. I am constantly told how horrible I was and how much I hurt her and what a terrible person I was.
Sorry, loading you with my junk.
It seems odd to me that I have disclosed all and it is all coming back to bite me in the proverbial.
Tell someone everything, like your T, but guard what you don't want used against you in your marriage. I have always been a strong proponent of 100% honesty, but to be truthful, it does come back to haunt you.

Sorry I'm really down today.

Martin

#419614 - 12/20/12 12:09 AM Re: Full Disclosure [Re: Suwanee]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
If she's more supportive / loving than not, and also you're pained by the memories of the last part (and that's a yes), I think its best to tell her. Especially because yes it does hurt to be told "get over it."

There are many ways to say it and your demeanor will influence her reaction.

Best of luck, I know you have been struggling over disclosure for some time now. If you get the right response it is a great relief.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#419639 - 12/20/12 09:12 AM Re: Full Disclosure [Re: Suwanee]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
I think it is generally a good idea to tell her but you are the one who knows her. We don't. But remember that she still may not get it. I think that's because much of the focus is in the physical act. They may not understand the psychological effect it can have on a child. The wound to the sole. That's what you have to get through to her.

#419650 - 12/20/12 01:27 PM Re: Full Disclosure [Re: Suwanee]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Hey Will

I agree that the emotional/psychological effects are the most important for her to understand. If she is a reader maybe you could give her a copy of one of the good books on the subject like Mike Lew's book - "Victims no Longer". This might help lay some ground work. (I haven't read it - but I've heard it is good).

The truth of the matter is even if you were 'just fondled' that is enough to cause major damage to you. It isn't the severity of the 'act' that makes it harder or easier for us to let bygones be bygones.

I agree that you probably need to tell her. It is a bit like you need her to understand the depth of your pain/shame to make it real. Once it is out in the open it will be easier to acknowledge it yourself and you hopefully will stop feeling like a victim and more like a survivor.

I agree that the 'way' you tell her will influence her reaction.

BTW - make sure your DON'T tell her at that time of the month laugh

Lee

#419653 - 12/20/12 01:59 PM Re: Full Disclosure [Re: Suwanee]
genedebs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MO
Hi Will

As has been mentioned you know her best. Speaking about my experience with my wife, it didn't matter. She had been molested by her cousin when she was in grade school. Even after the live in baby sitter who followed her, was pregnant with the man's child, she still did not understand that sitting on her bed, rubbing her back, and massaging her , he was hitting on her.

My wife remained in denial. She experienced date rape twice, yet she still believed it was her availability rather than her saying no that detwermined what was going on. So, if she is in denial, as my wife of 25 years was, no matter how much pain you are in, no matter how you share the details, she will still believwe, just get over it.

However, if she is kind, loving and considerate telling her is a very important step. Just fondled, raped, sodomized, just once or a dozsen times, it is a violation andf a betrayal. If she doesn't get it, more details wouldn't help. If she gets it, she will ask for details when you are healed enough to answer.

I know I have a bias, that is part of why she is my ex-wife.

May God bless you and keep you and grant you peace.

#419687 - 12/20/12 07:31 PM * [Re: Suwanee]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:25 PM)

#419688 - 12/20/12 07:37 PM * [Re: whome]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:25 PM)

#419691 - 12/20/12 07:49 PM Re: Full Disclosure [Re: whome]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: whome
she will drag up your past and hurl it in your face at every opportunity. I am constantly told how horrible I was and how much I hurt her and what a terrible person I was.

And your reply is "So are you not glad that I'm not that person anymore?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.