Finally HOME Finally HOMO

Study Finds Epigenetics, Not Genetics Underlies HOMOSEXUALITY

http://www.nimbios.org/press/FS_homosexuality

We gay men, whether we came to it earlier or later like me have deep inside always known that who we are is not what we chose but what chose us. There was never a point where we said, yup, "think i am going to choose to find men attractive today and heretofore".

Epigenetics are heritable changes caused by factors other than DNA. Instead of traits getting passed down through the genes, epigenetic change happens because of the way genes are regulated, or turned on and off. Like a bee who is born the same as her sisters, and only can be come queen if given royal jelly, epigenetics means a change in outcome not determined by genes but a later expression of those genes due to other factors.

This helps explain why there is no so called gay gene, yet a likely tho not 100% proven fact we were likely, as GAGA said "born this way". 8% of the pop is gay yet a twin is 20% more likely to be gay, so the numbers are higher but not the same if it were strictly genetic. Again its not that we would have been gay, just more likely. What is says tho is we were not responsible, just the happy homo happinstance.

"The authors have done a terrific job providing a mechanism for genetic variation, especially a variation that might not be expected to persist because it's so tightly bound to reproduction," says evolutionary biologist Marlene Zuk of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. But she adds that to go from changes in gene expression to why someone is attracted to a person of the same sex is a question for which science may never fill in all the blanks.

So what it says is there is a biological basis for gayness. The foundation is there, all the factors and variables influencing its expression will likely never be fully understood. It may account for why some gay men are very feminine and others hyper butch. But what it does do is allow us the freedom from any guilt such that we somehow are inferior or less than. We are just unique and different variation of NORMAL!

Furthermore, Rice notes, "homosexuality isn't just a human thing." Among California gulls, which he watches from his office window, about 14% of pairs are female-female. In Australian black swans, some 6% of pairs are male-male, and 8% of male sheep are attracted exclusively to male partners. "That cat's already out of the bag," Rice said. He added that an understanding of the biological underpinnings of homosexuality could help emphasize that same-sex behavior is not "unnatural."

Lets put this puppy to rest now. Angst time is over, no more hand wringing, navel gaving or selfjudging. We don't have to apologize, ask for forgiveness or understanding or play by rules that say we are not an equal part of humanity.

I think I hear a Clay Aiken christmas song... gotta go, I am a sucker for holliday homos wink

WoR Barrie 2011