Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
camdon (30), camdon greenwood (30), Denise (72), getteddie (66), morgoth (24), Ric (66)
Who's Online
4 registered (Bluedogone, 3 invisible), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63767 Topics
445329 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#419085 - 12/14/12 01:39 AM Gold
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
I at a recent reunion of my old teen and 20s gang, I was told by one friend I admire greatly; "Rob....we had some amazing times. Its good to see you like this again." The venue was a large nightclub and one of our friends' band was playing. They have a large following, and anyone who hears them, understands why.

It will likely be our friend's last performance, as cancer is cruelly taking his throat, and maybe him. We all had flash-views of what and who we were back in the 70s and 80s. We expressed no regrets what-so-ever. We admired our own efforts at life and doing all we could with what we were given, earned, gained, took and claimed. Today, we admire the strength some of our dearest show in the face of the unknown.

I'd have to say, we were a bit in awe of what we had as young folks, reaping every drop of life back then. We were also quite vocal about feeling denied the presence of those departed far too early.

What few moments may have seemed regretful in our youth, suddenly became golden when viewed through the eyes of adulthood and wisdom.

In the blink of an eye, we transformed from adolescents, to full-adults with a pure appreciation of what we had. We felt unique and fortunate. We had band practices of some to reflect upon. We had insane adventures at which to laugh.

Some of our gang have passed-on ahead of us. Some could not travel that far. We appreciated this as well. Why some were gone...why some could not attend, and that we genuinely missed their presence were still of value to a truly close circle of friends. Missing someone's presence indicates relationships not easily created, and never re-created. It has to be built upon good and relevant times.

If I could have changed anything about my time on earth with these amazing people, it would be to have trusted them with my story...my pain and my hopes in life. I'm truly sorry I never took that step.

I'll never have friends like that again (Steven King recognized), but I appreciate what I had more than many will ever understand. Its what tells me I had a role in the lives and times of our so-called "normals."

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#419089 - 12/14/12 02:09 AM Re: Gold [Re: Still]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Still,

I'm glad you had a good time, most of all that you got some perspective on some times when life was good.

As a teen and in college I stayed high or drunk, and isolated completely. I have no old friends to catch up with. Never have been to a reunion. I have no past to go back to. I hope that you come to appreciate your experences as REAL gold. Thats what they are.

Jude
I get a little bit closer to feeling fine.
Sheryl Crow

#419144 - 12/14/12 04:58 PM Re: Gold [Re: Still]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I recognize and appreciate the 'Stand by Me' reference. I've had the same realization you describe in your post. The only thing I still consider is how 'normal' my group of friends was. I know what was said; it's what went unsaid that makes me wonder.

Great sentiment.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#419149 - 12/14/12 05:56 PM * [Re: Still]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:21 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.