Newest Members
MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two, VASurvivor
12331 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, HD001, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12331 Members
74 Forums
63410 Topics
443335 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#417640 - 11/29/12 02:25 PM Testosterone Treatment for anxiety/depression
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Hi my Brothers,

I wanted to check in with you and let you know how I'm doing after I started testosterone treatment again. I'm on a low dose patch (2.5mg). My testosterone levels test at "slightly lower than average" for my age range. My Dr. was wonderful and allowed me to start taking the testosterone again.

2 days later I can report some major improvement in my mood.

1.I sleep much better, and I'm dreaming like crazy. I can remember my dreams.
2. I woke up with a smile on my face, the first time in months.
3. I am aware of a tension and anxiety that has been carried in my body forever that is melting away.

This is the same exact experience I had before when taking testosterone. It was kind of a happy accident that I provoked to try out testosterone, and was amazed at how much calmer, centered, and connected I felt to my body and to my experience.

I'm hopeful again, and can't wait to see my Dr and report the good news and see what else can be done (increase the dose? stay the same?).

I think a tremendous amount of research should be done on how hormones affect our moods. I think that many people have hormonal disorders which affect their moods, and the over reliance on SSRI / MAOI drugs is possibly doing more damage than good.

Just wanted to share my experience, and encourage anyone and everyone to get your testosterone levels checked. If you come out "slightly lower than normal" ask for a testosterone shot and see how you feel. Testosterone shots are super cheap and readily available.

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#417642 - 11/29/12 02:31 PM Re: Testosterone Treatment for anxiety/depression [Re: Magellan]
nltsaved Offline

Loc: Kc,Mo
I have been praying for healing and peace
over your life how ever God chooses to heal you
is his choice you still sought out the healing and you are getting healed
I am happy for you that you are not in the same state if mind
Peace and Blessings your way
you are not alone never were
WRITTEN FORM
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339159#Post339159
Why i hate Religion but love Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

#417646 - 11/29/12 03:45 PM Re: Testosterone Treatment for anxiety/depression [Re: Magellan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Magellan

I wanted to check in with you and let you know how I'm doing after I started testosterone treatment again. I'm on a low dose patch (2.5mg). My testosterone levels test at "slightly lower than average" for my age range. My Dr. was wonderful and allowed me to start taking the testosterone again.

2 days later I can report some major improvement in my mood.

1.I sleep much better, and I'm dreaming like crazy. I can remember my dreams.
2. I woke up with a smile on my face, the first time in months.
3. I am aware of a tension and anxiety that has been carried in my body forever that is melting away.
ask for a testosterone shot and see how you feel. Testosterone shots are super cheap and readily available.
D

My experience concurs with yours. In addition I've been taking thyroid pills every morning. Apparently my thyroid hormone levels were very low. I take testosterone by shot in the butt once per month.

My question is whether the low hormones are the cause or the effect of depression?

Puffer

#417648 - 11/29/12 03:53 PM Re: Testosterone Treatment for anxiety/depression [Re: Magellan]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Your guess is as good as mine.

But considering that we are impacted by childhood traumas and likely have PTSD, and PTSD is demonstrated to have physiological differences in our brains (specifically the hypothalamus and amygdala) - these regions are responsible for fear/anxiety fight/flight responses - and regulate our hormone production.

Mind - body connection. One affects the other.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#417651 - 11/29/12 05:28 PM * [Re: Magellan]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:09 PM)

#417819 - 12/01/12 02:17 AM Re: Testosterone Treatment for anxiety/depression [Re: Magellan]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Been three days since I started the patch again and I have to say that the only side effect I'm having is very bad insomnia. Which is to be expected as my body gets used to increased levels of testosterone. This happened the last time I started it.

Other than that, I'm feeling more centered, calmer, present and "in my body". I don't feel chronic tension or chronic unconscious fear anymore. I am taking more risks, being far more social, and not afraid of what other people might be thinking of me. This results in my cracking more jokes, being more spontaneous, and being more open.

I think I'm going to be staying on testosterone for the rest of my life. And of course I'll still be working with therapy and spirituality to retrain my thinking brain to see and feel the universe as a safe and warm place to exist in. The testosterone seems to be telling my body that the universe is safe, and that my body is secure.

Some physiological issues seem to also be subsiding as well. I wonder if maybe I was born with some malfunctioning testosterone/hormone production system or something.

just my rambling thoughts. I'll update as time wears on. I'm ***SO GLAD*** my Dr. prescribed the patch and that I'm back on this stuff. SO FUCKING GLAD!

D

#417826 - 12/01/12 03:44 AM Re: Testosterone Treatment for anxiety/depression [Re: Magellan]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: Magellan
I'm ***SO GLAD*** my Dr. prescribed the patch and that I'm back on this stuff. SO FUCKING GLAD!

Wow!! who would have thought a little more male hormone would make such a big difference. Congratulations Dude. I had my level checked last year and it was normal so I can't blame that for my f**ked up brain. Still I'm glad for you.

Jude
But he never betrays what he thinks.
Can you see the real me, doctor?.
The Who

#417850 - 12/01/12 08:58 AM Re: Testosterone Treatment for anxiety/depression [Re: Magellan]
Human Offline

Loc: private
Glad you're feeling better Magellan. smile I hope it lasts a lifetime!

Huh, I asked my doctor about testosterone and he said "Meh, you don't need it" without checking or testing. Perhaps I should insist he have the test done.

#417867 - 12/01/12 12:18 PM Re: Testosterone Treatment for anxiety/depression [Re: Human]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I've been trying to think what might have caused my low testosterone and thyroid levels. I have come up with several possibilities.

I don't know which of the following is the cause, maybe all of them:

1) Severe abuse as a child caused delayed development in me. I didn't hit puberty until 14 1/2 and my tooth replacement was even upset. My cuspid teeth had not begun to erupt when I hit puberty. A dental surgeon removed the teeth.

2) When I was teaching we bought a quarter of beef from another teacher who had kind of a ranch. He was unethical and I think he was dosing his cattle with hormones. The first indicator was that my young daughter entered puberty very early. So maybe the hormones the guy was doping with interfered with our bodies. My hormone problems may have started then. And come to think of it my wife started having some severe female problems. No telling what the unethical behavior of one guy might cause.

3) Severe depression when my "memories" came up.

4) Did the memories themselves cause me to psychologically restrain my own hormone production?

5) I was a workaholic and had difficult teaching assignments. I started staying up late and not getting enough rest, and pushing my body to keep going.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (12/01/12 12:25 PM)

#417870 - 12/01/12 12:44 PM Re: Testosterone Treatment for anxiety/depression [Re: Human]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Insist!

Even if its a little lower than average, insist on a shot (a half shot or quarter shot). The shot is super cheap. If he still says no, get a second opinion.

After my experience on Testosterone and the PHENOMENAL mood changes I'm going through (good changes), I'm convinced that I had a hormonal issue driving much of my mood, which drove much of my obsessive circling thinking.

D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.