Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
7 registered (don64, Obi, CafeMan, 3 invisible), 47 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63114 Topics
441369 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#417532 - 11/28/12 12:14 PM Pedophilia an orientation? Possible triggers
thedudeabides Offline

Loc: Augusta, Georgia
I read the Fox News article (a rebuttal of the Gawker article) first and then the Gawker.com. I don't know if the Gawker article has been posted before but I decided to post them both here to see how big of a hornet's nest I could throw into Cord Jefferson's inbox. Read his article first if you haven't been good and pissed off in a while--that should do the trick. It's the same reason I no longer read anything by Piers Anthony. In his novel Firefly Mr. Anthony essentially equated a child molesters desires to that of a man with a penchant for large breasted women or some such nonsense as that.

There's a heck of a lot more I would like to say but the moderators would delete it anyway so I'll leave it there.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/11/28/no-one-is-born-pedophile/?intcmp=features

http://gawker.com/5941037

They flutter behind you, your possible pasts;
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost...
And strung out behind us the banners and flags
of our possible pasts lie in tatters and rags.
Roger Waters

#417535 - 11/28/12 12:38 PM Re: Pedophilia an orientation? Possible triggers [Re: thedudeabides]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
This idea is really disturbing...

#417545 - 11/28/12 03:04 PM Re: Pedophilia an orientation? Possible triggers [Re: peroperic2009]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yes, that's really disgusting.

From my own experience and reading a bunch of books on child abuse, I'm convinced that sexual abuse of children is extremely cruel.

Puffer

http://www.prweb.com/releases/aoadvocates/jimmysavilechildabuse/prweb10164947.htm

Edited by pufferfish (11/28/12 04:37 PM)

#417565 - 11/28/12 06:42 PM Re: Pedophilia an orientation? Possible triggers [Re: thedudeabides]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I read the gawker article first. For the most part it is mischaracterized (at least until the last paragraph which is pretty clumsy and stupid). These scientists are studying. When this is done, you must observe populations and note what characteristics you see. There are likely physical and mental/emotional differences in pedophiles. I would also agree that not everyone who performs a pedophilic act is a pedophile under the definition of being exclusively attracted to children. Any hunter can tell you that you must understand the beast you seek to slay.

I don't think the writer was really saying we should not punish those that have sex with children. If you read the last paragraph he stated a scenario of living with a pedophile then recoiled and stated he could still never do that. It is a very real problem that the pedophile is so severely reviled that one who has the attraction cannot safely seek resources to prevent him from acting. It also interferes with any preventive measures whether voluntary or not. You will notice in the materials on this website that there is invitation to those who feel they might abuse to seek help. I would much rather prevent than deal with the consequences.

One of the reasons that male sexual abuse is being addressed when it was not before is because of the gay rights movement. When I was abused in the 1970s, it was so taboo the only thing I could do to keep sane was to never speak of it. Even if I had, many would have refused to comprehend it or attacked me for being "gay". Meanwhile a psychopath preyed on children until he died of natural causes. During the same time frame, boy scout leaders, priests and coaches (like Sandusky) abused children while those in authority couldn't comprehend that these "goofballs" and respected men could in fact be monsters. Of course the children were lying, taking things out of context because these did not seem to be horrible men. I wonder if part of my recovering repressed memories might have been that society had changed to view homosexuals in a different light. That taboo prevented much of the abuse from being reported in a number of ways.

I am not equating homosexuality with pedophilia. For whatever reason both have an attraction outside the "accepted norm". Big difference though with homosexuality is that adults can both make a mature decision (whatever the underlying condition or "cause") to deviate from the script. With pedophiles, one of the parties can never do that and in fact are often physically injured in the process in addition to the emotional and psychological harm done.

I am all for understanding what makes a pedophile tick so we can reduce the occurence of abuse through whatever measures are identified as effective. The remaining that continue to do so in spite of those efforts deserve the penalties for their conduct.

Edited by catfish86 (11/28/12 06:49 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#417598 - 11/29/12 01:53 AM Re: Pedophilia an orientation? Possible triggers [Re: thedudeabides]
crazy gecko Offline

catfish - yes, he doesn't say that we should not punish them.

But when he talks about an adult man "falling for" and "starting a sexual relationship with" a 7 year old CHILD, it makes me sick. The wording insinuates that there was a mutual, loving, sexual attraction, while it was all about a grown man exploiting an innocent child for his own pleasure without considering the child's well-being.

If pedophilia is something a person is born with, I would call it a disorder, not a sexual orientation, like being a sociopath. And if it can't be changed, they should be removed from society - permanently. Ie. mandatory life without parole, or even - God forbid - the death penalty. Because unlike with an alcoholic, a "recovering pedophile" who "falls off the wagon", WILL have permanent and devastating consequences for his victim...

And his argument against having people report abuse without proof (For example, California's mandatory report policy says very openly that "no evidence or proof is required prior to making a report" [PDF], making it perfectly acceptable to call the cops on a person solely for talking about sexual fantasies regarding children.) makes my blood boil. This is exactly the kind of thinking I rant against on a regular basis. The most terrible forms of abuse often leave no proof!
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

#417804 - 11/30/12 09:35 PM Re: Pedophilia an orientation? Possible triggers [Re: thedudeabides]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I agree crazy gecko, it is more properly referred to as a disorder than an "orientation".

Although as an alcoholic who also sponsors others, alcoholics who fall off the wagon also have permanent and devastating consequences...dead drivers, murder, assault, robbery, sexual abuse and just about everything you can think of.

Overall I think this person is just reporting on what the scientific community is doing to understand the beast which has haunted so many of us here in the hopes of one day learning to control it.

Edited by catfish86 (11/30/12 09:35 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.