Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
7 registered (lapchinj, sorryson, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63779 Topics
445394 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#417526 - 11/28/12 11:32 AM Re: Eating & Food Issues/Our Own Quick Reference Guide [Re: WriterKeith]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
* In the days when I spent holiday meals with my dysfunctional immediate family, my healthy eating habits became the focus of the dinner conversation with the food-pushers working on overdrive. I found that, when they couldn't take the fifth "no thank you," it was okay to politely excuse myself to eat on the porch. The food tasted just as good and I was able to eat in peace and quiet rather than ridicule.

* A food-pusher is usually someone starving for validation. That's simple; taste 1 or 2 bites and COMPLIMENT the coking, but don't over-compliment like I do ("You like it? Here, have more!" as an unwanted blob of it is plopped on your plate).

It usually works, unless the food-pusher's issue is a dominant-control issue, in which it's important to stand your ground and establish your boundaries. I learned it doesn't work to push back, but it works to dis-empower them.

* If shopping bags and Tupperware brimming with leftovers are physically thrust upon you by food-pushers as you head home, it's perfectly okay to politely thank them and secretly stop at a garbage bin down the road. Or, if the opportunity arises, you may find a homeless person on the street that is thrilled for a home cooked meal (but, be cautious and careful in this one, the "real" homeless people are not usually the visible ones begging for change).

* I eat less food when I am actively engaged in table conversation. I used to be quiet and bashful at the table, but now I ask everyone about their hobbies, their activities, how it's all going, etc. It causes me to eat slower with less quantities and to fill up faster.

* Before dinner is served, I find out what desserts will be available. I pass on EVERYTHING I can get at another time, and I select (in my mind) what I will be having and how much of it I will have (the equivalent of no more than 10 bites total dessert).
Then I plan ahead by leaving myself a little hungry at the end of the meal. Desserts are better when they're a rare treat. If I serve up my own helping of dessert, I can make it small enough to have "seconds" (another SMALL portion). My brain doesn't know the difference, and I'm secretly proud inside of my accomplishment.

#417527 - 11/28/12 11:34 AM Re: Eating & Food Issues/Our Own Quick Reference Guide [Re: WriterKeith]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

* I don't eat anything just to appease "food-pushers." If I've already said, "No thank you," I don't have to give in to keep peace with anyone, even if a food-pusher plops something on my plate. I can leave it uneaten on the plate. It's okay if the food-pusher has a meltdown; it's not my responsibility.

* Instead of numbing myself with food, I choose to love myself by serving up my own plate, with SMALL portions that are chosen by nutrition rather than taste.

* At family meals or any gathering where there is a big spread of food, I NEVER eat until I'm full. This has been my most helpful tool.

* "Second helpings" are part of holiday meal traditions in my family, so I plan ahead for second helpings by making my first helpings VERY sparce, no more than 2 bites each. "More please" is enjoyable only when my stomach has ample room to accommodate it and I am IN control.

#417533 - 11/28/12 12:25 PM Re: Eating & Food Issues/Our Own Quick Reference Guide [Re: WriterKeith]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Ha ha, good to see you back Keith,
I've already thought that you have eaten some junk food and decided to erase all.
I don't have any tips, but I hope some brothers would add some wink

Pero

#417536 - 11/28/12 12:45 PM Re: Eating & Food Issues/Our Own Quick Reference Guide [Re: WriterKeith]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
One of my food issues is eating between meals. I'm OK during the week as when I'm at work and don't snack. But come the weekend I eat when I don't have to and much more than during the week.

I find what helps is to brush my teeth after a meal. It interupts the progression of following a different food to remove the taste of the previous item.

#417554 - 11/28/12 04:42 PM Re: Eating/ Food Issues: Our own Quick Reference Guide [Re: WriterKeith]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yea, well, all I can say is, peer pressure sure is a bitch around this place. crazy

You're keeping me in line. smile

#417556 - 11/28/12 04:48 PM Re: Eating & Food Issues/Our Own Quick Reference Guide [Re: WriterKeith]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've never heard that explanation before, that brushing interrupts the progression of food tastes. That makes sense and also explains how it's easy to get caught in a cycle of eating.

Thanks, Candu, I'm adding that to my personal arsenal.

#417558 - 11/28/12 04:55 PM Re: I am sooo busted [Re: WriterKeith]
Treehugger75 Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I find that seperating dishes served at a meal to themselves controls my eating. I'm constanty told to slow down while I inhale my food. I've found in I place say, JUST cranberry sauce on my plate, I focus on enjoying each bite, then i enjoy a roll. It also reduces the discomfort from eating a really large quantity like people tend to this time of year.

#417566 - 11/28/12 06:56 PM Re: I am sooo busted [Re: WriterKeith]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
don't know if this qualifies - but i would far rather eat and enjoy a small portion of something really delicious than to consume a large amount of something bland and maybe more healty. i feel less deprived and more pampered with the treats and can live with the fact that it is a smaller serving. it was sort of hinted at above - but if i see it as a conscious choice and i am the one making the decision - that also helps.
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#417567 - 11/28/12 07:00 PM Re: I am sooo busted [Re: WriterKeith]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: WriterKeith
I've never heard that explanation before, that brushing interrupts the progression of food tastes. That makes sense and also explains how it's easy to get caught in a cycle of eating.

It goes this way for me. I eat food X and it left a taste in my mouth. Not bad, but good. And I could be OK for a bit but then I get up and eat some food Y in order to get the taste of food X out of my mouth. And it does the trick. But now I have to deal with the flavor of food Y. And to the rescue comes Z! And being the end of the alphabet you would think that would be the end of it. Hell no. We get to start at the begining or even (blush) have some more of X.

So I found that the sooner I brush my teeth the sooner I stop the cycle. Now it is a bit of a downer because I really liked the tast of X and it seems a shame to get rid of it after you have already taken in all the calories but if you don't want to continue then get out that tube of mint toothpaste and get at it.

So during the week at work I will have some oatmeal based porridge (with strawberry jam, no salt) at 7:30 am then brush my teeth. Then I'll have some tea at 9 am. At 11 am I'll have tea again and a bran muffin.

But on Saturday when I'm at home and have more options it goes like this. Porridge at 7:30 then I'll make some tea. With the tea I'll have some waffles (2 or 3) with syrup. Then I'll get on the couch and do some reading. And that bag of talco chips looks good. I'll eat some of that and eventually put it away in disgust (its a big bag). But I'll go and get some home madde cookies or some cake to get the taste of the talco chips out of my mouth. And by that time I need some more tea (I love coffee but the caffine becomes a problem for me, and decaf sucks). So with the second tea I might want a little something with it. But I might resist, because it's almost time for lunch!

#417665 - 11/29/12 07:48 PM Re: I am sooo busted [Re: Candu]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Candu,
That's a good idea. I've known of fitness buffs, athletes, and dieters using that tool, but I never thought of it as a tool for managing food issues.
Makes perfect sense.

Edited by WriterKeith (11/29/12 07:49 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.