Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, pattom, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63172 Topics
441742 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#417263 - 11/26/12 01:42 AM i didn't ask for this
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
had a bad moment this morning while getting ready for work.

my wife and i were talking about a friend who had died of cancer over the weekend. she was saying how bad she felt for the husband. how he didn't deserve that pain. then she made the jump to thinking about us and said she knows how it feels to suffer for something that is not your fault. and next she said - referring to being married to ME - a survivor who didn't know he was one until years after we were married - "I have often thought 'I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS!'"

i almost lost it.
i took a deep breath.
i said - "i didn't either..."

lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#417264 - 11/26/12 01:59 AM Re: i didn't ask for this [Re: traveler]
crazy gecko Offline

I'm sorry Lee... that was a pretty insensitive thing to say, but perhaps she didn't mean it that way?
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

#417266 - 11/26/12 04:02 AM Re: i didn't ask for this [Re: traveler]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hey ((((Lee))))
hang on my friend.
I'm sorry that your wife felt like she did and that she couldn't hold those negative words.
Please stay out of that negative field...
Hang on !

Pero

#417267 - 11/26/12 04:08 AM Re: i didn't ask for this [Re: traveler]
nltsaved Offline

Loc: Kc,Mo
That sucks that you did have to here that in that way. I have to say we of all people should no that we all deal with things in our own way. It sounds like this is a moment were you might have to put yourself in her shoes for a moment .
I no for a fact when i look back at some of my attitudes and behaviors and actions that have directly correlated with my abuse my wife had to suffer through those things .

Things are a lot better now a days but i am thankful that she stood by me .

I am not picking sides here you must understand . I am simply asking you to be open minded about this.
As survivors we always make a lot of things about us and tend not to look at the other side of things . Abuse make so many things about us and trying to cope in anyway we can sometimes and i no for a fact that i put my wife through some things that i wish she did not have to go through .

I can only guess that things have gone in a similar way for you.

There is one thing about truth sometimes it is raw and it hurts but it is what we do with that truth that makes the difference . Yea the pride and the ego is bruised up but when we do not just look at it from our own perspective but the others objectively than we can learn a lesson.

Speaking from my own experience I can tell you that in this instance It would be worth examining your roll in this and how you can see things from her perspective and make some changes . Maybe you have not realized the suffering you have inflicted on your wife just as i once did not realize the suffering i had inflicted on my wife . But when she did tell me that she had nothing to do with what had happen to me and i was taking it out on the wrong person .

I felt like well f this and F that and me me me me me
But after i cooled off and realized she needed to be validated and that i needed to apologize

yes there goes that pride and ego right out the door

Than i could see that there are things that i am responsible for such as healing and doing the work necessary for our marriage to be healthy because she did not sign up for this suffering
she signed up for the man that was portrayed during the courting and the love and the bond we had for each other

I no I no for sickness and health and good and bad i get that
so in that sense she did sign up for the good the bad and the ugly
but it is our responsibility as the God man to grow and mature and be the head of the house leading the home . We can not do that if we are not willing to say i am sorry this is part of marriage .

I could be way off base if i am i apologize now but i am speaking from my own experience and it sounds so familiar . It was a big eye opener that i put my wife in a position to say hay what about me to . We are all human and we all can only take so much before we let it boil up and out . Well sounds like she had had enough and decided to speak up And we are all guilty of this and when it happens it usually does not come out the way we wanted it to or if we knew the response we would of said it differently.

Sounds like this . I can tell you the enemy does not want your marriage to succeed you can allow this thing to go to places you will inevitably regret if you do not put pride aside and be willing to sit down and work this out through love and understanding . She has feelings to and she has put up with some things i no she has because it pretty much and impossibility with us survivors .

If she did not know about it in the beginning than that had to make things harder. Just think about that for a moment . My wife knew about it all before we got married and she still knew what she was signing up for
but did she? how could she really no the phases and the mood swings from compulsively going over every detail in my head some days of course effecting the relationship and everything around it . The good days the really bad days could she of known what she was really signing up for ? No way in hell

Look man I get it your mad your hurt you probably want to hurt with words but this is not going to solve it . Love is what is going to solve this understanding and mutual respect will help this situation .

I am not taking sides i am simply sharing what worked for me like i said i could be way off base here because I am not a fly in on the wall in your house . I just want this to get worked out and not go down a long road of hell

Peace and love brother
you are not alone never were
WRITTEN FORM
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339159#Post339159
Why i hate Religion but love Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

#417274 - 11/26/12 08:13 AM Re: i didn't ask for this [Re: traveler]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Hey Lee

I'm glad you posted this.

And I'm glad it happened to you Especially that you said your piece/peace.

I hope your wife sees things more realistically now- there is suffering and trouble in other people's lives too-and to only feel sorry for herself (you could never telll her this ) limits her ppreciation and understanding of her own life.

Yea, I brought a lot of stuff into our marriage my wife didn't ask for- and she felt deceived and betrayed-Nltsaved says a lot of truth above that's out of my story as well. And I have had to own that and find ways to heal, recover and change.

And we get to live and to have lives.

Lots of people, including our abusers, (imho) don't have a chance to really heal or live. I've seen enough folks did haunted with regrets, remorse, tooo soon or unloved or with unloveable spent lives.

I hope this exchange with your wife brings you both closer to each other and healing.

Edited by Mountainous Buck (11/26/12 08:15 AM)

It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#417275 - 11/26/12 08:21 AM Re: i didn't ask for this [Re: traveler]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Lee

Man that must have hurt - I feel it.
Sorry you had to hear that - like that
She didn't ask for 'this' but she did ask for you.
'This' is not you. 'This' happened and is happening to you.
You are not doing 'This' to her.
'This' just 'is'.
She is hurting too.

Glad you remembered to breath
Glad you didn't loose it
You were both right - it sux for everyone and noone asked for IT.
You are both hurting - try to remember that.

I think there is something in what nlt had to say.

Edited by Farmer Boy (11/26/12 08:41 AM)
Edit Reason: add

#417277 - 11/26/12 08:30 AM Re: i didn't ask for this [Re: Mountainous Buck]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Lee,

That's tough. My wife and I had a similar exchange, sprouting off from a duscussion of how difficult the year has been and what we've got to deal with. Awkward.

It is maddening to hear bystanders, however well-meaning, talk about how upset they were by witnessing your car crash. But.... people are allowed to be human and their feelings are valid. Spouses who got this news as a surprise naturally have their own issues to work out. You can just hope people phrase their feelings appropriately and not in a triggering or minimizing way. And if they do you can just hope you can forgive them.

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#417312 - 11/26/12 04:35 PM Re: i didn't ask for this [Re: traveler]
seikei Offline
MaleSurvivor

You definitely have more tact than I would have had in the situation. While I always make an effort to be empathetic to the feelings of others, lately I've noticed that I've taken a very hardball appraoch when people attempt to discuss my status as a survivor. You kept your cool. Be proud. :-)

#417328 - 11/26/12 06:42 PM Re: i didn't ask for this [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
you are all right.

thanks to each of you, my friends, for the words of support - and of challenge. both are welcome - and required for me to be the balanced, responsible and complete man i want to be.

i was able to defuse a potentially explosive situation by removing myself emotionally. i am "good" at that. had decades of practice. and while it is not the most healthy or beneficial tactic in the long run, it does help me to maintain control and keep functioning when i have to.

what i quoted above is literally all i said.

i did have a brief flash of shock/defensiveness/hurt/(anger?) - before i shut down. i am not good at recognizing or feeling or expressing anger. but distancing myself gave me time and space to sort out what was going on here. and since we both had to go our own ways mere minutes later, i had the space i needed to work through it.

so - with a bit more reflection and objectivity, i took it all in context. this was only ONE expression of many things she has said - and i now realize that many if not most of her other statements have been FAR more positive - things like - "i won't leave you" and "i want to help you heal" - so i am glad i did not lash out at this isolated comment in the reflex action that i was momentarily tempted to give in to.

and more than that - she also did not reply when i said "i didn't either." i think and hope that means that she accepts and believes that and recognized the fact that we are in the same boat. both victims of the same perps - me directly - and she indirectly.

thanks again,
Lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#417387 - 11/27/12 11:46 AM Re: i didn't ask for this [Re: traveler]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Traveler,

I have had a similar comment from my wife. And its the truth. So many things I hid from her that, if she had known before marriage, would have sent her running for the hills. And now its too late to make it right.
....it's life's illusions I recall, I really don't know life at all. "
Joni Mitchell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.