Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
4 registered (Daryl X., BuffaloCO, inner_prophet, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64200 Topics
448015 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#417038 - 11/23/12 07:31 PM Recovery brings relief, but music stirs my bones
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
What is it about music? I mean for me it is rocking blues, but Green Day and Mudvane, System of a Down and some country get it for me. That screaming, crunking guitar, that thunderous, cigarette graveled voice, that constant beat of the drums and a lonesome horn, that is where it's at.

Phew, my hero's have no idea who I am, but I have read biographies, followed them on Youtube and bought their albums. I know more about their kids then I do about my own it seems. I know when they began their savant guitar training, or when they broke out in some dark room with Marshal Amps at some trade show for 15 seconds. It is a real coming-of-age, and I am hooked. I like the obscure guys, off the beaten path or up and coming. When they become mainstream and everything starts to sound the same, it is time to start looking again.

Music. I can be totally fine, in a funk or just hangin', then that guitar starts wailing and the drummer tries to rip through the floor with the foot pedal, and I am down with it. The head be-bops, the hand starts tapping, the steering wheel gets pounded and the windshield gets blasted from the inside. It gets out of me this intensity that I could not otherwise exhale. It is a release. I will get to the high notes and choke up, tears start swelling up and I have to let the singer go on without me. I used to be so overwhelmed I would rage in tears, thankfully recovery has gotten out those extremes, but the music is still just as good.

I wonder if this is another discovery come to think about it. I have been very emotionally charged these last few days. Well okay, I'll wait for it to come over me.

Stay tuned?
Sam

#417044 - 11/23/12 08:01 PM Re: Recovery brings relief, but music stirs my bones [Re: SamV]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I know what you mean. I might range from 80s alt-college rock, 70s top 40, grunge, alt-county like Wilco, old country like Cash, big band swing to new age

A number of years ago, I was in the clasical listening room of Tower Records(remember those?). A piece of classical music was playing that was so beautiful and expansive I felt a chill and damn near was moved to tears right there in the store. I don't know what was going on, but it was powerful stuff precisely delivered to my brain.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#417076 - 11/24/12 09:52 AM Re: Recovery brings relief, but music stirs my bones [Re: SamV]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
"...grunge,", I forgot Nirvana, I can't believe it!

To offer some insight on your listening experience...

I was doing an experiment in a group and I was told to make a sound and to feel where that sound came from. I felt (at the time the sound was coming from the just above the stomach area) a hard knot and went through a range of humming tones until I felt like I was "pulling" the sound from that area. I stayed with it and it grew louder as I projected louder, until it felt like great sorrow turned to rage. I was yelling. Then I was encouraged to find the words that described the feeling and sound, and I was able to put a phrase together about a painful terror in my youth. The experiment continued, it helped me find and begin to overcome a difficult part of my life. Now when I hit that note(singing along in a song) I am not overwhelmed, but I am reassured in resolving that issue. It is a reminder that we can free ourselves and become more stable.

This is my experience with singing and being moved by a piece of music. Thanks for your reply Will, I will have to do some digging on Tower Records, I look forward to it.

Sam

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.