Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 50 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63113 Topics
441364 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#416740 - 11/20/12 08:04 PM Re: My girlfriend thinks all survivors become abusers [Re: mh6893]
Publius Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: OH
Good point. I would not want to propagate the lie that women don't become abusers. The damage risk to our cause of awareness just isn't worth the zinger. I think then I will adjoin a caveat about how women can and do become abusers sometimes but that I was merely challenging their perspective when claiming "all abuse victims become abusers." I am just being defensive because the vampire myth's popularity and imposition upon my mindset/recovery is something without which I wish I could live.

#417396 - 11/27/12 02:24 PM Re: My girlfriend thinks all survivors become abusers [Re: mh6893]
Robert1000 Offline

I hear you, P. Thanks for following up.

#417453 - 11/27/12 08:30 PM Re: My girlfriend thinks all survivors become abusers [Re: mh6893]
justplainme Offline

Only children who are abused And Not helped after the fact become abusers., And even so sometimes the child may be so magnificent that even without help it does not choose that path.
Since day one we should know that abusers become that way when so much toxicity is kept in shame and secrecy through evil use of power by an adult.
Partners we choose need to be open minded,hugely open minded.
Abuse changes you into a whole different category of person.
You see the world through a different perspective.,I'm not saying a bad one but a less naive one.
Work on your healing and health and for others so one day you'll meet a girl who will say;
"I admire the man that you are,abuse or not"
"And I believe the abuse just made the best of you come out"

Edited by justplainme (11/27/12 08:31 PM)

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#417457 - 11/27/12 08:57 PM Re: My girlfriend thinks all survivors become abusers [Re: justplainme]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
It just won't add up, mathematically speaking. An abuser like Jerry Sandusky probably abused dozens of boys. We know that few if any of them became abusers.

Another abuser I read about in a book, Conversations With a Pedophile, by Amy Carter Zabin,

http://www.amazon.com/Conversations-Pedophile-Interest-our-Children/dp/1569802475/

claims to have abused over 1000 boys by himself. (Boy Scouts). Just think. If every one of them (all?) had become abusers, that would have multiplied the number of abusers at an astronomical rate. The next generation of abusers would have resulted in 1,000,000 abusers. This is absurd. I am using a method of logic to show that it's absurd to think that "all survivors become abusers".

Puffer

#417458 - 11/27/12 09:01 PM Re: My girlfriend thinks all survivors become abusers [Re: mh6893]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Good point, Puffer.

If all victims became offenders, then literally everyone would be abusing everyone else.

Cant

#417553 - 11/28/12 04:31 PM Re: My girlfriend thinks all survivors become abusers [Re: mh6893]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I can't add much more to this, but she is committing a common logical fallacy by confusing correlation and causation.

Tell her to consider that all dimes are coins, but not all coins are dimes.

Some go on to abuse, most do not.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#417557 - 11/28/12 04:49 PM Re: My girlfriend thinks all survivors become abusers [Re: mh6893]
Rdphish73 Offline

Loc: New York
This is just not true. I suffered years of rape and physical abuse so I'm as good a candidate as anyone. As an adult, I wondered if I would somehow abuse my kids if and when I had any. When I found out my wife at the time was pregnant, I got very nervous (ANY new father is nervous...period). All I have to say is the second I laid eyes on my newborn daughter, I knew instantly I would never harm a hair on her head! I was quickly shown a love so powerful its amazing. I just can't understand how a parent can sexually abuse their children....If someone harmed my daughter that way, I would likely try to kill them.

Tell your g/f that it just isn't true and have her get more educated....if not, move on. There are many fish in the sea my friend.

#420592 - 01/01/13 11:47 AM Re: My girlfriend thinks all survivors become abusers [Re: mh6893]
mh6893 Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Dear all,

Thanks for your advice. I still do not trust my girlfriend with this secret. Since she is from my same home town, I do not trust that she would not take this knowledge and use it against me if we ever broke up. I would hate more than anything to be subject to rumors and have people not trust me.

For this reason and others, I don't think that my girlfriend and I have a future together.

Jack

My profile photo is me around the time of my experience.

#420594 - 01/01/13 12:17 PM Re: My girlfriend thinks all survivors become abusers [Re: mh6893]
frankie72 Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Jack,

I'm sorry to hear you don't trust her enough, but that doesn't mean there can't be a future. Maybe time will tell whether you think she is ready or not.

I know the desire to tell those you are close to or love, and honestly I have only done so on very few occassions. Sometimes it has ended badly, sometimes it has been ignored, and rarely have I found anyone who accepts it and tries to understand.

If the two of you are happy, just enjoy each other and see where it leads. As suggested before, maybe try and educate her subtly, and work out a way to prepare her if you truly want to tell her.

In the end the decision is yours though, and what you think is best.

#420608 - 01/01/13 02:31 PM Re: My girlfriend thinks all survivors become abusers [Re: mh6893]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: mh6893
For this reason and others, I don't think that my girlfriend and I have a future together.

Sorry to hear that but better to determine that early rather than too late.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.