Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (aniceguy, sorryson, sentry), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443356 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#416479 - 11/17/12 03:31 AM Forgetting things/Being preoccupied???
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
It seems like I forget things alot. I guess I'm pre-occupied with other thoughts going thru my brain. Is this due to anxiety/depression/lack of self-confidence? What? Is it some form of dissociation?? Is it part of the effects of my abuse? Or is it just me?. Does anyone else do this?

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#416481 - 11/17/12 03:47 AM Re: Forgetting things/Being preoccupied??? [Re: onlyakid]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
oh, yeah - that happens to me a lot, too
wait a minute - what are we talking about?

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#416496 - 11/17/12 10:43 AM Re: Forgetting things/Being preoccupied??? [Re: onlyakid]
Candu Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: onlyakid
It seems like I forget things alot. I guess I'm pre-occupied with other thoughts going thru my brain. ... Does anyone else do this?

Mainly people who are pre-occupied with other thoughts. For whatever reason. Totally normal.

Take notes. Even if you don't read them again the act of writing them down will often lock them in your memory. And it would be a good habit to get in because as you get older you will normally forget more and having the habit of writing it down will make things easier later in life.

And as far as the thoughts that you are focused on it also is a good idea to write them down. It helps to clarify issues. On some stuff when it is written down then your brain can release them for the time being and allow you to handle the other stuff that is being pushed aside. Or it allows your brain to take a break and relax.

#416501 - 11/17/12 05:14 PM . [Re: onlyakid]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 09:29 PM)

#416503 - 11/17/12 06:29 PM Re: Forgetting things/Being preoccupied??? [Re: Candu]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Candu
Originally Posted By: onlyakid
It seems like I forget things alot. I guess I'm pre-occupied with other thoughts going thru my brain. ... Does anyone else do this?

Mainly people who are pre-occupied with other thoughts. For whatever reason. Totally normal.

Take notes. Even if you don't read them again the act of writing them down will often lock them in your memory. And it would be a good habit to get in because as you get older you will normally forget more and having the habit of writing it down will make things easier later in life.

And as far as the thoughts that you are focused on it also is a good idea to write them down. It helps to clarify issues. On some stuff when it is written down then your brain can release them for the time being and allow you to handle the other stuff that is being pushed aside. Or it allows your brain to take a break and relax.

I have big problems with this kind of thing. For me there are several things going on:
1) Dissociative disorder. My mind will get side-tracked. I have to really focus on things to pick up on them properly.
2) Thyroid deficiency. This has been recently diagnosed. The meds are starting to take effect and my mind is working better. The thyroid is amazingly powerful and powers every cell in the body including brain cells. I don't know what caused it or what combination of things caused it. Maybe longstanding depression and dealing with big issues? Chemicals in food and/or water?
3) Being an old coot?

Puffer

#416527 - 11/18/12 02:25 AM Re: Forgetting things/Being preoccupied??? [Re: onlyakid]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Thanks Puffer,
I have had some other issues to lead me to believe I have a thyroid issue. I had even looked around for a good endocrinologist and found one just never got the motivation to make an appointment. Being I know that my memory issues could be related to, I'll make the appointment on Monday. That is of course if I remember to do it lol.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.