Newest Members
Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone, teba
12117 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
6 registered (atari_kid86, I Want 2 Thrive, kcinohio, jq19712, 2 invisible), 53 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
62511 Topics
438091 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#416436 - 11/16/12 02:04 PM Good T session
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

So, I have these episodes where the "it" gets me, the overwhelming and powerful negative emotion that I keep bottled up, sometimes it comes out and gets a grip on me and I can't move or talk. It completely overwhelms me...

In the past few weeks, my T has witnessed this in two sessions. Yesterday, when it started to happen, he made me stand up and tossed a ball at me for me to catch. It was a lot of work, but I was able -- barely -- to catch and toss the ball until the emotion took over and made me sit down and get overwhelmed.

Anyway, I think it was smart of my T to get me physically active, at least so that he and I could see me triggered and what effect that has on me. I didn't like playing catch when i was triggered, but I also can understand that it's a valuable technique for integrating that overwhelming emotion into my body and life.

We're getting ready for EMDR, which is scary but I'm ready for it.

#416439 - 11/16/12 03:02 PM Re: Good T session [Re: cant_remember]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: cant_remember
So, I have these episodes where the "it" gets me, the overwhelming and powerful negative emotion that I keep bottled up, sometimes it comes out and gets a grip on me and I can't move or talk. It completely overwhelms me...

In the past few weeks, my T has witnessed this in two sessions. Yesterday, when it started to happen, he made me stand up and tossed a ball at me for me to catch. It was a lot of work, but I was able -- barely -- to catch and toss the ball until the emotion took over and made me sit down and get overwhelmed.

I'm glad you have a T who can "play ball" with you. I'm not criticizing. That sounds great. It's a creative technique that works. I'm all for it.

I think there is a state (I don't mean a state like Nebraska or something, I mean a lasting emotional-mental response that kind of dominates our activities) which abused boys can get into in which they "freeze". They are unable to respond. It's like "playing possum" I think. I first read about it in one of the books on csa. There was a short thread on this topic here in MS. I think it was over a year ago. But that may not be what you're talking about anyway.

I'm realizing I go through mood swings lasting several days. Those of you in MS might have noticed that some days I'm just not a very good poster. I'm never diagnosed as bipolar but there is something going on. I have to figure out what that is. Is it based on the days of the week? I have known for some time that I had a Saturday downswing. I now realize it's because when I was a very small tad, perp would care for me on my 'mother's day off' every week which would last Saturday and overnight until Sunday morning. So I have that Saturday-Sunday morning depression based on unconscious memories of that. Then I would return home and I would have that "magic slate amnesia" (my own term for how I would forget everything that happened in perp's house the moment I walked into the family house. So I have that weekly repetitious mood swing.

But there must be something else going on. I haven't been able to put my finger on it. I know that in the last few days of abuse at the Boy Scout camp I was extremely desolate. Maybe that's it.

I've noticed that you seem to disappear for several days at a time. I may seem to others to do the same thing.
Quote:

Anyway, I think it was smart of my T to get me physically active, at least so that he and I could see me triggered and what effect that has on me. I didn't like playing catch when i was triggered, but I also can understand that it's a valuable technique for integrating that overwhelming emotion into my body and life.

I guess I better go walk the dog. I'm going to look for a group exercise place. I know that's not what you're really saying.
Quote:

We're getting ready for EMDR, which is scary but I'm ready for it.

I had a good T session yesterday. T is an excellent listener and he is very compassionate. After all the T sessions I've had, I feel I'm just getting into the very young stuff. eek My T dropped some strong hints about my finding a new EMDR T. We concurred. It's encouraging.

Puffer

#416440 - 11/16/12 03:29 PM Re: Good T session [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, Puffer.

You're a good friend to me.

Cant

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.