Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
1 registered (Obi), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64186 Topics
447900 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#413032 - 10/13/12 09:37 PM too much too soon
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
last night - CRASH & BURN - with the wife!
this morning - Trying to pick up the shards - trying to put something back together - and not wound each other more...
it's complicated - both with good intentions - both feeling both guilty and victimized.
does it ever end????????????????????????
lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#413077 - 10/14/12 11:00 AM Re: too much too soon [Re: traveler]
Blue1966 Offline

Loc: USA
Sorry Lee,

Hugs, cuddles and lots of talking make great glue when that happens.

#413081 - 10/14/12 12:16 PM Re: too much too soon [Re: traveler]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hang in there, brother. It does not end, but neither does our love for each other.

#413122 - 10/14/12 09:53 PM Re: too much too soon [Re: traveler]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
Lee,
Sorry for all of this brother. Let me return a favor that you did for me. I will lift both of y'all up to the One that will help. Hang in there
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#413136 - 10/15/12 01:01 AM Re: too much too soon [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for the encouragement, Blue, cant & Country.

Here is what happened: my wife and I went for an overnight at the beach. It is really cheap here by US standards. we had a nice 2nd floor room with a balcony & view of the ocean, beautiful pool, nice secluded beach, fresh seafood and tropical fruits... Paradise! Room service, candle-lit dinner on the balcony. She brought a silky lingerie that I’d never seen. So we managed to make love and I navigated around or over or through all the triggers and I was feeling super good about it.

And then we go home and she surprises me that evening by setting up a romantic atmosphere in the bedroom and seducing me while we are watching TV. Sounds like every man’s fantasy – right? Well, I couldn’t handle it. There was trigger after trigger, starting with the fact that she sprang it on me so I felt like I was ambushed. And with her being the initiator, it felt too aggressive and like I was being manipulated or controlled. And some of the foreplay tactics that she used to arouse me were a little too similar to some of the things that were done to me as a child. (later when I journalled about it for my T I counted 10 different triggers.) And though I didn’t have any trouble at all in getting it up and keeping it up and coming to a crashingly spectacular climax – it was beset with unwanted memories and images and stuff that I didn’t want to have there. It was sort of an emotional as well as a physiological eruption by the end.

She could tell that there was something wrong. I tried to pass it off as post-coital paralysis and stupor – but she knew there was more to it. She was upset with me for – I dunno – maybe dragging my baggage into bed with her? She was sad that her nice surprise hadn’t gone according to her expectations. She was mad that I hadn’t expressed more appreciation for the real and emotional effort she had expended to make this happen. She had really taken a chance emotionally – risked being/feeling rejected again… and somehow I didn’t live up to the dream. But I didn’t have the script and wasn’t able to do any prep!

So next morning I try to comfort her and I am still teetering on the brink of a major panic attack. She said she had never seen me so distraught. I was feeling like an abject and absolute loser! How lame is that – to get so freaked out over something that most men would give anything for?

I spent the entire next day Sunday writing, reading and thinking and trying to get back some semblance of composure so I’d be ready for school on Monday morning. Now I am still reeling and am afraid that we have set back our recovery by several months – if we ever are able to make up for the damage.

It was a simple matter of too much too soon. She asked me if it was her fault. I couldn’t tell her how she had set off trigger after trigger. That would have devastated her. I said that it was the fault of probably a dozen other people who got to me before we even met. But I know we will have to talk about this – and it is killing me. How much to say? I don’t want her to be afraid to do everything. But I need to feel safe. And right now I feel anything but…

Lee

#413138 - 10/15/12 01:15 AM Re: too much too soon [Re: traveler]
Blue1966 Offline

Loc: USA
As hard as it will be, the best thing to do is be honest, gentle but honest. Make it clear that although she triggered you, it is NOT her fault that you have those triggers nor is it her fault that she did not know your triggers. How could she, you didn't tell her what they are?

You might want to suggest a safe word system, yellow for slow down but do keep going, orange for stop, but stay close and, red for stop, back off. That way impromptu things won't be so threatening or scary, you can take control if you need to and, she can learn what's difficult for you without it getting this upsetting again.

#413142 - 10/15/12 01:52 AM Re: too much too soon [Re: Blue1966]
crazy gecko Offline

Originally Posted By: Blue1966
As hard as it will be, the best thing to do is be honest, gentle but honest. Make it clear that although she triggered you, it is NOT her fault that you have those triggers nor is it her fault that she did not know your triggers. How could she, you didn't tell her what they are?

You might want to suggest a safe word system, yellow for slow down but do keep going, orange for stop, but stay close and, red for stop, back off. That way impromptu things won't be so threatening or scary, you can take control if you need to and, she can learn what's difficult for you without it getting this upsetting again.

Good advice.

I believe that the only reason why I could make my relationship with my late wife work, was because I was completely honest with her. She knew what my triggers were, and if she accidentally did or said something that triggered me, I would let her know immediately. That way things don't escalate out of control. You don't have to deal with fighting through the triggers on your own, and she understands where you are, which helps her not to feel confused or rejected or... Win - win.

Its very difficult to reach that point, It takes a huge amount of trust, especially if, like me, you are afraid of intimacy. But at the same time if helped me a lot, not only because I didn't have keep everything bottled up inside, but also because the only thing I fear more than intimacy is loneliness, and thus a happy marriage meant the world to me.

I am now in a new relationship, which has recently reached the point where I have to choose between either being completely honest with her, the way I was with my late wife, and deal with all the fear and panic that comes with allowing someone to get that close, or walk away. Because at the moment I am just hurting her with mixed messages and she deserves better than that...
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

#413165 - 10/15/12 10:03 AM Re: too much too soon [Re: traveler]
iambubba Offline

Loc: Canada
I can relate completely and it totally sucks to feel that way.
As far as some advice ...I dunno sometimes the honesty works but sometimes I feel it can create a feeling of walking on eggshells\elephant in the room the next time I'm intimate and then for me the negative self talk takes over and I spend the rest of the time working on staying present.
The staying present is getting easier. I noticed a few months back that i was dissasociating during different intimate acts by dropping my head and almost drifting off I now am aware catch myself and try hard to snap back to reality.
I guess all that being said I didn't offer much other than Yeah I've been there...feel for ya.
bub

#413174 - 10/15/12 11:23 AM Re: too much too soon [Re: traveler]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Lee

I feel for you both man. Its a case of shes not feeling sexy or seductive. I can so see it from her point of view and yours. Sad thing is that she probably blames herself for this, and on the flip side you blame yourself, Tough catch 22 for you both.

Sex was and still is for us such a difficult thing, we both dance around it and try to make each other happy, but just end up hurting each other,
I wish I had an answer for you, one thing that always helps is flowers, send a few or pick a few with a little note telling her that she is the most precious one in the world to you.

A friend of mine has been married and happy for 45 years, I asked him for his secret and he said "a walk every night just the two off you holding hands and chatting, no distractions"

I found little love notes to be a great help, " wow darling you look stunning today" and hide them around the house, under the pillow, in her car, in her lunch box etc.

If you find the answer to healing our cocked up sex life, please let me know.

Heal well
Martin

#413175 - 10/15/12 11:36 AM Re: too much too soon [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks, Martin.

i already leave daily notes. and flowers are a part of my routine. i have done all kinds of services to make her feel loved - from gifts to kitchen cleaning. and we talk a lot. walks aren't really an option where we live. i even let her have the remote pretty often!

but you are right - her self-image is not the greatest. and my withdrawal, isolation and acting out with p*rn through the years has made it worse - feelings of inadequacy, rejection and betrayal, etc. so we have lots of lost ground to recover...

we are both trying really hard. this time it was just a little too hard!

Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.