Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
5 registered (5 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63233 Topics
442178 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#415938 - 11/11/12 02:24 PM I've decided to be a Big Brother
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
and I'm announcing it to all my circles so that I Follow Through.

It's been suggested to me MANY times over the years that I consider doing this, and I always shied away from doing it because of fear and my CSA issues.

But I did have a few years of experience working with 'at risk' teens in an after school program. It was one of the most challenging and rewarding things I'd ever done, and I was astonished at how easy it was for me to build a rapport with them. Some of those kids fell in love with me, and idolized me. A few of them have friended me on Facebook, to my surprise.

With all the work I've been doing to love myself, I've been VERY frustrated that I could never feel the love I have been demonstrating to myself with all my efforts. I still feel empty and lacking and totally disconnected.

Jude has kicked me in the butt with another reminder - and I'm taking his suggestion. I'm starting the application process and will follow through and start volunteering and working with kids. They deserve it, and *I* deserve it. I felt connected and valued when I worked with kids before, and I will do it again for my own sake.

Wish me luck - the application process is apparently hard and time consuming, and they need latino volunteers, not white people like me. So I may ultimately be rejected because there is no need for me. But if my HP is working in my life, my HP will make the opportunity happen.

HP? You listening?

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#415948 - 11/11/12 05:37 PM * [Re: Magellan]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 12:59 PM)

#417576 - 11/28/12 08:33 PM Re: I've decided to be a Big Brother [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Edward Wong Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'be volunteered as well. It was one of the most rewarding experiences in my life.

#417588 - 11/28/12 10:55 PM Re: I've decided to be a Big Brother [Re: Magellan]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wonderful step, D!

It is only in reaching out with no self-focus that I have truly found myself. That's only my own truth but thought I'd share it.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#417595 - 11/29/12 12:40 AM Re: I've decided to be a Big Brother [Re: Magellan]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I feel silly seeing this pop back up after my melt down over the last 2 weeks.

Yes, I've finally discovered where I can devote my time and energy and feel a sense of self worth and self esteem. People have been recommending I volunteer for ages, but I've always had so much anxiety around people that the task seemed impossible. I've never enjoyed being around other people my own age - such arduous work.

Then I remembered that I don't feel that when I'm around the youngins. It's a control thing.

As long as I feel like I'm in control, then I can feel a sense of safety, and thus starting developing empathy and compassion.

Wish I knew how to feel safe around people. Period.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#417615 - 11/29/12 07:09 AM Re: I've decided to be a Big Brother [Re: Magellan]
finallyopen Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Good for you.
I was a Big Brother for 4 years ... enjoyed it very much.
Good luck my friend .. it can be an awesome experience

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.