Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
4 registered (irishguym, CheerfulJohn, 2 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64028 Topics
446828 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#410191 - 09/15/12 10:00 AM Looking for a book
jay75 Offline

Hey everyone,

Im looking to purchase a book that deals with CSA. I want some input as to what books would be helpful. What im looking for is your #1 pick.
Things to consider.... Im relatively new here. This will be the first book I will read about CSA. Im not in therapy eek . and I cant afford to buy 10 books to find one that will enlighten me or validate my feelings. Their seems to be so many to choose from.
I dont want to read a story about someones abuse "Triggers" trying to avoid them..

Thanks in advance.....

-Jay-

#410193 - 09/15/12 10:39 AM Re: Looking for a book [Re: jay75]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
With every book I have read, there were little nuggets of truth and wisdom. Do you have any idea what you are asking...???

o.k. minus the fact that I am not going to try and pick a favorite, here are a few ideas...

"Evicting the Perpetrator" By Ken Singer MSW. (A fresh perspective).

"Victims No Longer" by Mike Lew (The classic guide).

"Beyond Betrayal" by Richard Gartner (past President of MaleSurvivor)

Walk (Foo Fighters)

island

p.s. You don't have to own any of these books, I get a lot of my material from the public library and if you want to stay anonymous, there is always the used bookstore...

#410196 - 09/15/12 12:18 PM Re: Looking for a book [Re: jay75]
jay75 Offline

Island boy ,
Thanks for the list I appreciate it. I dont want to hit the library, just kind of dont want them to know what im reading .. very small town if you know what I mean. But I will try used thanks for the tip

-Jay-

#410197 - 09/15/12 12:25 PM Re: Looking for a book [Re: jay75]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Those are great books for survivors that island recommended it.
Vicitms no longer is like Bible for survivors smile
Jay you can borrow some of books, here is link to 1 in 6 portal, they are offering such possibility, you don't have to buy those books:
http://1in6.org/men/books-films/how-borrowing-works/

Pero

#410198 - 09/15/12 12:38 PM Re: Looking for a book [Re: jay75]
jay75 Offline

Pero,

Thanks!!!!!!!!

#410223 - 09/15/12 07:52 PM Re: Looking for a book [Re: jay75]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
you can always try amazon or ebay. and amazon frequently posts excerpts and reviews so you can get a good idea of the contents before you buy. often there are used books there at very low prices. and it helps with the anonymous issue, too.

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#410406 - 09/17/12 04:31 PM Re: Looking for a book [Re: jay75]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
I met a traveler once, while I was taking my own inward journey. his advice to me..."You don't choose the books, the books choose you."

As far as the used book arena is concerned, you never know what you will find. (I am not trying to deluge you in book titles, but simply give you options). So here are a few other books that I would not turn my nose up at...

"Speaking our Truth" by Neal King (this little gem is written by a therapist, that also happens to be a survivor himself).

"The Betrayal Bond" by Patrick J. Carnes Ph.D. (in depth study about trauma bonds and why they are so powerful).

"Legacy of the Heart" (this is one of those rare undiscovered treasures that is rarely talked about and I am not sure why).

"Boundaries" by Anne Katherine M.A. (this is one of those subjects, that is related to csa).

Veteran of Psychic Wars (Tarot)

island

#410442 - 09/17/12 08:03 PM Re: Looking for a book [Re: jay75]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
"Trauma and Recovery" by Judith Herman helped me understand some of the PTSD freakiness.

"Aftermath: Survive and Overcome Trauma" by Mariann Hybels-Steer has helpful info and ideas, and is written in bite-sized sections that PTSD'ers can absorb.

John

#415437 - 11/05/12 10:47 PM Re: Looking for a book [Re: jay75]
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

Jay -

We haven't spoken before but I saw your post and thought I'd respond. I assume you've really benefited from any/all books you've read - the above posts list fantastic recommendations. If you're interested in seeing what someone might go through in therapy, I wrote a book that chronicles my walk through 1.5 yrs of therapy for 7 yrs of CSA. I wrote it because I couldn't find a book that told me about what it was like - as I contemplated therapy for months and months. It's not difficult to read - and I've found that some people really benefit from my journey. 1in6.org would be happy to send you one for free (as Pero said). It's called "Nice To Meet Me".

My best to you.

Chris Carlton

#415439 - 11/05/12 10:58 PM Re: Looking for a book [Re: BuryingJack]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I also recommend Chris Carlton's book, Burying Jack. It's not depressing but it gets you right into how we respond to the stuff we go through.

After you get through with that you can look at some of the other books recommended.

Puffer

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.